Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2019, 03:26 PM
Cult Master

Jodie

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th March 2019, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm watching a couple of other shows at the moment but I've also decided to start watching Modern Who like I did with Classic Who.

Only started yesterday and I'm already 6 Stories in- Rose all the way to Fathers Day. I'd forgotten how good this era is.

Rose was amazing from start to finish. I do wish we'd seen a little more auton action but aside from that it was a great start.

The End of the World, The Unquiet Dead and The Long Game were all okay. Definitely above average at least. Unquiet Dead was the weakest but as a Story its better than certain other entire Seasons/Series of the show.

The Aliens of London/World War III is an under-rated masterpiece. I've said it before but its one and only problem is certain aspects of the Slitheen: Their gas exchange in particular is ridiculous and unnecessary. Considering the plot, it should have been the Zygons instead.

One Dalek in Dalek functions better than armies of them. One of few times a 45 minute Story (I tend to usually think they're rushed) didn't need a single second of extra time.

Fathers Day isn't my favourite. I'd prefer the Slitheen two parter or Dalek but its solid Who. I loved Eccleston talking to the soon to be married couple and how he could never live their life, nice moment.

This is the most consistently good the show has been since the 70's. And I already know the other 3 Stories from this Series are all either masterpieces or good in general: and that includes Boom Town.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 26th March 2019, 06:18 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Moonbase - Episode 1
Jamie: [softly] The Piper! The McCrimmon Piper! Don't let him get me!
The Doctor: Piper?
Polly: Some legend of his clan. As far, as I can make out - this piper appears to a McCrimmon just before he dies.
The Doctor: Has this phantom piper appeared to Jamie yet?
Polly: You don't believe it, do you?
The Doctor: No, but he does. It's important to him.
Polly: He keeps asking us to keep the piper away from him.
The Doctor: Good. We can see if we can do just that. [walks away thinking]
The Moonbase – Episode 2
The Doctor: There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things, things which act against everything that we believe in. They must be fought.
The Moonbase – Episode 3
Cyberman: No one will move. [Benoit moves a little bit] You will remain still. If you move you will be killed.
Benoit: [amazed] What are they? How did they get in?
Cyberman: Silence! We are Cybermen! You will listen.
Benoit: [still amazed] But you were all killed!
Cyberman: We are going to take over the Gravitron and use it to destroy the surface of the Earth by changing the weather.
Hobson: [shocked] But that will kill everybody on the Earth.
Cyberman: Yes.
Hobson: You're supposed to be so advanced. Here you are, taking your revenge like children.
Cyberman: Revenge? What is that?
Hobson: A feeling people have...
Cyberman: Feelings? Yes, we know of this weakness of yours. We are fortunate. We do not posses feelings.
Benoit: Then why are you here?
Cyberman: To eliminate all dangers.
Hobson: [in half anger and half shock] But you'll kill every single thing on the Earth!
Cyberman: Yes. All dangers will be eliminated.
Benoit: Have you no mercy?
Cyberman: It is unnecessary. [turns to Cyberman #2] Keep watch on them.
Hobson: Don't rush them!
Cyberman: [into the communicator] Operational System Four. Operation System Four. Operational System Four complete. Entry to base now completed.
Hobson: Entry? How did you get in?
Cyberman: It was very simple. Only stupid Earth brains like yours would have been fooled.
Hobson: Go on.
Cyberman: Since we couldn't approach direct, we came up under the surface and cut our way in through your store room, contaminating your food supplies on the way. A simple hole that's all.
Hobson: A hole! That explains those sudden air pressure drops we have been recording.
Cyberman: [sarcastically] Clever! Clever! Clever!

Old 27th March 2019, 05:59 AM
Cult Master

The Tomb Of The Cybermen – Episode 1
Eric Klieg: Doctor, you seem to be very familiar with this place.
The Doctor: Oh, no, not really. Umm, it's all based on symbolic logic. The same as you use in computers. The opening mechanism for this door - an O.R. gate, you call it.
Eric Klieg: Yes, yes, I can see that, but how did you know in the first place?
The Doctor: Oh, I use my own special technique.
Eric Klieg: Oh really, Doctor. And may we know what that is?
The Doctor: Keeping my eyes open, and my mouth shut. [laughs]
The Tomb Of The Cybermen – Episode 2
Cyber Controller: You belong to us. You shall be like us.
The Tomb Of The Cybermen – Episode 3
The Doctor: Hey, why didn't you wake me? I should have been on watch half an hour ago.
Victoria: I thought you should rest.
The Doctor: Why me?
Victoria: No reason really.
The Doctor: Oh, I think I know. Is it because I'm old?
Victoria: Well, if you are 450 years old, you need a great deal of sleep.
The Doctor: Well that's very considerate of you, Victoria, but between you and me, I'm really quite lively actually, all things being considered. (The Doctor takes the gun.) Are you happy with us, Victoria?
Victoria: Yes, I am. At least, I would be if my father were here.
The Doctor: Yes, I know, I know.
Victoria: I wonder what he would have thought if he could see me now.
The Doctor: You miss him very much, don't you?
Victoria: It's only when I close my eyes. I can still see him standing there, before those horrible Dalek creatures came to the house. He was a very kind man, I shall never forget him. Never.
The Doctor: No, of course you won't. But, you know, the memory of him won't always be a sad one.
Victoria: I think it will. You can't understand, being so ancient.
The Doctor: Eh?
Victoria: I mean old.
The Doctor: Oh.
Victoria: You probably can't remember your family.
The Doctor: Oh yes, I can when I want to. And that's the point, really. I have to really want to, to bring them back in front of my eyes. The rest of the time they sleep in my mind, and I forget. And so will you. Oh yes, you will. You'll find there's so much else to think about. So remember, our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing. There's nobody in the universe can do what we're doing. You must get some sleep and let this poor old man stay awake.
The Tomb Of The Cybermen – Episode 4
The Doctor: [Klieg is holding The Doctor, Jamie, and Toberman at gunpoint] Yes. As you say, such a combination between intelligence and... *power* would make you formidable indeed. Why, you would be... Commander of the *Universe* with your brilliance! It... It makes the imagination reel with the possibilities!
Eric Klieg: Why, Doctor, if I had only known you shared my imagination, you might even have worked for me.
The Doctor: Perhaps it's not too late.
Jamie: Doctor!
The Doctor: No, Jamie. Don't you see? Don't you see what this is going to mean to all the people who come to serve... Klieg - the All-Powerful? Why, no country, no person, would dare to have a single thought that was not your own! - Eric Klieg's own conception of the... *Of the way of life!*
Eric Klieg: Brilliant! Yes. Yes, you're right! Master of the world!
The Doctor: Well, now I know you're mad; I just wanted to make sure.

Old 27th March 2019, 02:39 PM
Cult Master

From 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'

And, of course, he made one at least!

Old 28th March 2019, 05:29 AM
Cult Master

The Ice Warriors – Episode 1
Arden: A giant among prehistoric men.
Walters: See the kind of armor he's got on.
Arden: Yes, that's rather strange. He looks pre-Viking. But no such civilisation existed in pre-historic times, before the first ice age.
Walters: Ha! Proper "Ice Warrior", isn't he, Sir? I reckon Leader Clent will be interested.
Arden: Yes. What'll the mighty computer make of it, eh?
Walters: Sir, hadn't we better get back while the weather still holds?
Arden: Good point, Walters. Davis, try bringing the air-sled a little closer, will you?
The Ice Warriors – Episode 2
Varga: It's done. They are free. And now, to bring them back to life.
The Ice Warriors – Episode 4
The Doctor: Anyone at home? [as he walks around, the big gun moves into shooting mode. He weaves under it] Open up. Come on, open up, I say! Very well, I shall count to ten. One... two... three... ah!
Varga: Who are you?
The Doctor: I never answer questions until I'm addressed properly.
Varga: You will answer now. [the Doctor has a defiant look on his face] Very well. You are standing in the airlock of this spacecraft. Unless you answer my questions, within ten seconds, I will take the atmospheric pressure around you down to zero.
The Doctor: But if you do that my body will explode!
Varga: One... two... three... four...
The Ice Warriors – Episode 5
The Doctor: It's all right Victoria, don't cry. It's all right. There's nothing to be afraid of.
Zondall: Wait until Varga returns triumphant. Then you will have cause to cry.
The Doctor: Come along, Victoria, blow. Blow. (The Doctor makes the nose-blowing sound.) That's better, that's better. (sotto) We can try and escape with this.
Victoria: (sotto) What is it?
The Doctor: (sotto) Ammonium sulphide.
Victoria: (sotto) Ammonium sulphide? It's only a stink bomb.
The Doctor: (sotto) Yes, you've had the benefits of a classical education. Yes, it is what you'd call a stink bomb.
Victoria: (sotto) What use is that?
The Doctor: (sotto) You'd be surprised. Harmless to humans, but to aliens very possibly deadly!
The Ice Warriors – Episode 6
Miss Garrett: Only a minor explosion. [the Doctor sighs] We're safe! [there are more sighs]
The Doctor: Oh. Goodness me! Oh!
Penley: Set all circuits to automatic, Miss Garrett. And tie in with the World Ioniser instrumentation. Clent, will you, err, check these readings with me? And you've a report to prepare haven't you.
Clent: Yes, yes, yes I have. Penley. You are the most insufferably irritating and infuriating person I've ever been privileged to work with.
Penley: [smiling] Thank you.
Clent: Can't write a report though, can you? Something I've got to do for you. Well don't worry, it's one thing that I've been trained to do.
Penley: Without the computer?
Clent: [laughs] No, Penley. I've always written my own speeches, and my own reports.
Penley: Are you going to include... [he turns] Well, where's the Doctor? [We hear the sound of the Tardis dematerialising]

Old 29th March 2019, 06:01 AM
Cult Master

The Enemy Of The World – Episode 1
Jamie: Where are we, Doctor?
The Doctor: We're by the seaside, that's where we are. That's all that matters.
Jamie: Aye, but where?
Victoria: Yes, Doctor, we must know.
The Doctor: Oh, stop fussing, you two, come on.
[runs for the water] Come on, you two. No wait a minute. See if there's any buckets and spades in the TARDIS. [Takes off his shoes and socks and paddles in the sea]
Jamie: Buckets and spades? Is he going to dig for worms?
Victoria: No, he wants us to play sand castles.
Jamie: Sand castles? What does he think we are? A couple of children?
The Enemy Of The World Episode 2
Giles Kent: What news of Denes? We must keep him posted as to what is happening.
Astrid: It's all right, we've contacted and we've arranged to meet.
Giles Kent: Be careful, he's pretty well known.
Astrid: Oh, don't worry. We've arr... I suggested that we meet under a disused jetty by the river.
The Doctor: Disused Yeti?
Giles Kent: No, no, no. Jetty, jetty! [to Astrid] Ah, anything else to tell us?
Astrid: No. If the plan goes through I'll try and contact you again.
Giles Kent: Right. Goodbye, good luck.
The Doctor: Good luck, Astrid. Jamie and Victoria will look after you.
Giles Kent: Astrid, are you there? We're... She's gone. And I'm not surprised after that last remark.
The Doctor: Well, I'm sorry.
The Enemy Of The World – Episode 3
Griffin the Chef: Now the soup's boilin'. Did I put any salt in it? Dinner tonight's going to be national disaster! My mother was right.
Victoria: What?
Griffin the Chef: She wanted me to be a dustman. Here, look, you want to do something useful?
Victoria: Oh, yes, please.
Griffin the Chef: Well, sit down and write out the menu. First course interrupted by a bomb explosion. Second course affected by earthquakes. Third course ruined by interference in the kitchen. I'm going out for a walk. It'll probably rain.
The Enemy Of The World – Episode 5
Jamie: We can't tell you anything.
The Doctor: [as Salamander] Of course not. We know everything. We know about Giles Kent, we know about the girl called Astrid, and we know about your friend, the Doctor.
Victoria: [steps forward] I don't believe you.
The Doctor: A childish plan to impersonate me. That's the truth, isn't it?
Jamie: [steps forward] Ah, but he didn't agree to it.
The Doctor: You two were sent to the Central European Zone to start trouble.
Victoria: If you want to know the truth, Giles Kent told us a story and we weren't sure. Before the Doctor could do anything, we had to come here and find out what person you're like.
Jamie: Yeah, we found out right enough.
The Doctor: You see, Bruce, they're just terrorists. Not very big-fry either. All this nonsense about proof against me.
Victoria: If you're doing so much good for the world, why are you so afraid for your own life?
Jamie: Aye, why do you have so many enemies?
Victoria: Personal guards...
Jamie: Your own food taster...
Victoria: And why destroy the one man people trusted, Alexander Denes?
Jamie: Aye!
Donald Bruce: What do you mean, "destroy"?
Victoria: One of your men shot him.
Donald Bruce: Trying to escape?
Victoria: He shot him deliberately.
Jamie: [walks up to Bruce] Aye, and that girl, Fariah, well, she was close to Salamander. She'd speak against him. I know she would.
The Doctor: Fariah is dead.
Victoria: [shocked mad] Dead?
Jamie: You've had her murdered, too, have you?
Victoria: [attacks "Salamander"] Why, you...
The Doctor: [as himself, cowers out of his chair] Oh, Victoria, don't hit me! You wouldn't hit your old friend the Doctor, would you?
The Enemy Of The World – Episode 6
[the Doctor's hands hover of the TARDIS controls uncertainly, then his right goes to his head again as his left gestures to Jaime to do it]
Jamie: Me, Doctor? [Jaime places his hand on a dial to turn it, then hesitates] But you said we were never to touch the controls.
The Doctor: Quite right, Jaime. [the Doctor whips around to see the REAL Doctor at the doors] [dressed normally] Welcome to the TARDIS.
Salamander: Thank you. You were doing so well impersonating me I... I thought I might return the compliment.
The Doctor: And Giles Kent?
Salamander: Unfortunately didn't survive the explosion.
The Doctor: We're going to put you outside, Salamander. No friends, no safety, nothing. You'll run, but they'll catch up with you. [Salamander grabs for the controls... ] No! [... whips back around to gut-punch the Doctor, then pins him against the console]
Salamander: [face to face with the Doctor] And now I'm going to kill you.
Jamie: No, you don't.
[Jaime grabs Salamander from behind. Salamander elbows Jaime, grabs at the control Jaime touched, and twists it hard, starting dematerialization without first closing the doors. The TARDIS tilts violently. The Doctor and Victoria are thrown toward the heavy chair]
Victoria: Doctor!
The Doctor: [grabs at the chair and Victoria] Victoria!
Victoria: Doctor!
The Doctor: Jaime! Hold on to something!
[Jaime grabs the base of a plinth. Salamander screams as he slides across the floor, through the doors... ]
The Doctor: Jaime! Oh!
[... and out of the TARDIS, tumbling unprotected into the time vortex]
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 30th March 2019, 05:26 AM
Cult Master

The Web Of Fear - Episode 1
[The TARDIS has landed, rather bumpily, in a London Underground railway tunnel]
The Doctor: For the moment, we have eluded our captor. Look at the scanner, both of you.
Victoria: Well, where are we?
The Doctor: I really don't know, Victoria. Shall we go out and have a look.
Victoria: Now? Is it safe?
The Doctor: [mischievously and airily] Oh, I shouldn't think so for a moment! Jamie... I think we're going to need torches.
The Web Of Fear – Episode 4
Professor Travers: Run! It's the yeti!

Old 30th March 2019, 06:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Don't if the BBC screwed up the first episode of Macra as the intro is black and white but soon goes to colour after titles
The intro is the cliffhanger from the previous story - 'The Moonbase'
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Old 31st March 2019, 07:05 AM
Cult Master

The Dominators – Episode 2
The Doctor: An unintelligent enemy is far less dangerous than an intelligent one, Jamie.
Jamie: Eh?
The Doctor: Just act stupid. Do you think you can manage that?
Jamie: Oh, aye, it's eas...

Like this? Share it using the links below!