Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2010, 10:23 AM
Cultist in Training

Default NO BLADE OF GRASS 1970 Cornel Wilde

Not sure if this comes under Horror as such?
A couple of months back I finally got to read John Christopher's 'The Death of Grass'. Chilling read, and the first time I nearly finished a book in one sitting. I wet myself when I discovered there had been a movie adaption (even though the author apparently loathed it). Discovering it was directed by Cornel Wilde, I automatically assumed it would be on disc, as Naked Prey etc were all available. No such luck. Managed to track down two bootlegs, one uncut and the other butchered.
The cut version has all the red-tinted flash-forwards removed (the flash-forwards seem to be hated by the few people who've seen NBOG, though I personally think they work) a graphic rape shortened, and some swear words dubbed out. I'm guessing this copy must have come from a tv showing.
The uncut version has all the flash-forwards intact, and the rape scene added from a satellite showing.
Quality is only watchable, though both copies are in widescreen. But I'd love to see a re-mastered version.

Anyone else a fan of this rarely seen downbeat movie? Can't believe MGM hasn't released this on dvd?!
Old 17th July 2010, 01:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

love love love this film, i unfortunatley come into possession of the film through a torrent download and burnt it to disc. The one i have is the uncut version. I'd love a legit copy though....
Old 17th July 2010, 03:39 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
love love love this film, i unfortunatley come into possession of the film through a torrent download and burnt it to disc. The one i have is the uncut version. I'd love a legit copy though....
It's great isn't it? So downbeat, which we don't have enough of these-days. Happy endings suck

Don't worry about torrent download, I'm of the opinion if the studios don't consider a movie worthy enough of a release, then fans should get it however possible, and the studios shouldn't moan. They're bad, not ours.

But it's not a bad movie. Can't understand why it's not been released. You love this movie, after watching it once, I purchased a Canadian vintage movie poster, lobby cards, and spent ages hunting down an MP3 of Roger Whittaker's theme tune. Now that's "love"
Old 17th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I applaud you Scribbler for your devotion to this gem of a film and yeah it's odd that it's not recieved a proper release....
Old 17th July 2010, 06:12 PM
Cultist in Training

I sometimes wonder if the authors have a say in releases of their movie adaptations? John Christopher made it pretty clear he loathed the film, and Susan Hill apparently hated the EXCELLENT tv adaption of 'The Woman in Black', neither of which have seen an official European release.

It is a little gem of a movie, not to everyone's taste obviously, but if anything I'd say it was more relevant today than when it was released. I don't usually encourage remakes (the recent Day of the Triffids.... ), but would happily see this title taken on again.

But would much prefer seeing Nigel 'eye-patch' Davenport in a nicely re-mastered dvd. Unfortunately, we've more chance of seeing 'My Family' series 8 boxset on a HMV shelf, than 'No blade of grass'
Old 20th July 2010, 02:50 AM
Cult Rookie

Nice to see this little gem being talked about. I saw a very badly cut version with appalling quality, yet still really enjoyed it.
The version i have now is excellent quality and uncut, except for those flash forwards, which i've yet to see.

I also tracked down the title song by Roger Whittaker, although it's a different version from the one in the film.

Could well do with a lovely special edition, then perhaps more people would see this great film.
Old 20th July 2010, 05:30 AM
Cultist in Training

It's strange how many different versions there are floating around, especially for such an over-looked film. There's the fully uncut version, with flash-forwards, an uncut version without the flashes, a butchered CBBC version which keeps the violence in, minus the rape, and yet feels the need to protect out tender ears from the word "sh*t".

It would be interesting to see what version would make it to a proper release. I hope they'd keep the red-tinted flash forwards in though, as for me, they really worked. They gave a hint of the violence to come. Though I entirely understand why some viewers may see them as plot spoilers.

I got an MP3 of the theme song too. I think mine was taken directly off the soundtrack, as it starts with the Narrators voice saying "This isn't a documentary. Though it could be..". I always knew my musical tastes would change after I hit the big 4-0, but Roger Whittaker?!
Old 20th July 2010, 11:29 AM
Cultist in Training

I'd love to see a release of this one. Haven't seen it in over thirty years since an ITV showing...
Old 20th July 2010, 11:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I remember seeing this on TV many years ago and was so impressed by how downbeat it remained. I'd love to see a DVD of this one too.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 20th July 2010, 02:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

im surprised universal Playback haven't released this yet.

Like this? Share it using the links below!