Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2018, 11:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Rian Johnson take note.

Though its all too late now.

Quality scene Dem. Enjoyed every damn minute of it.
I said before the Darth Maul scene is the best part of Phantom Menace, the only part that really stands out.
Last Jedi may not be great but i really enjoyed the fight scene after they disposed of the Snoke man.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I said before the Darth Maul scene is the best part of Phantom Menace, the only part that really stands out.
Last Jedi may not be great but i really enjoyed the fight scene after they disposed of the Snoke man.
I thought that whole sequence was done better in Return of the Jedi.
hivemind likes this.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Abrams builds up Snoke, then........... Nothing!

Just a naff fight that dispatches what Abrams gave Johnson. A character of threat and power cut in half by a lightsaber. Absolute guff.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:43 PM
Cult Addict

That's true, the scene is pretty much the same as the emperor in 'Jedi'.

I liked the after part when they were fighting the guards together.

In that respect has the main bad guy ever teamed up with the good guy?
Ok. yes Darth Vader with Luke, but the difference is it's mid story, so where does everything go from there?

There is a link between Rey and the other guy, psychic mind link shit 'n all that somehow. That hasn't been revealed yet.

I think the interesting thing about Last Jedi for all it's faults is that it kind of screws up the flow.

I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen next now.
That's kind of refreshing.

Maybe there is an arc Hive that hasn't revealed itself yet.

Shit man it's a good job you're not a Twin peaks fan.

So if there isn't an overarching plot do you just give up on shit??

I saw the original Star Wars at the cinema when it came out originally and i don't actually remember coming out of the cinema and giving two flying ****s about a prolonged plot structure.

All i cared about was how everything looked really flash with laser beams coming out of guns and buzzing light swords.
Princess's with bouncy bits and metallic rasping evil bastards.

To be honest some of my favourite characters as a kid were the Jawa's and the Sandpeople, the two races that have consistently been underrepresented and overlooked throughout the saga.

Actually...bollocks now i want my money back, or at least proportional representation for all intergalactic species.

Yer...**** Star Wars i'm gonna worry about shit that really matters, like if Indiana Jones can actually survive a nuclear blast in a fridge.

Old 16th April 2018, 11:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen next now.That's kind of refreshing. nosferatu42

I dread to think what's going to happen next. I better get some Prozac and Scrumpy Jack cider ready for the conclusion.

Maybe there is an arc Hive that hasn't revealed its self yet. nosferatu42

Yeah. It may not even reveal itself in Episode 9. Ever think about that.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:17 AM
Cult Addict

I'm good with that ,but then i'm the kind of person that just sits, watches and makes my mind up after everything's happened.

Hence the 'Twin Peaks' reference.

There is no way anyone can make sense of season three until it's finished.

Now it's all done, i love it, but then i'm an abstract kind of guy that is always up for stuff that take's them where they least expect it.

That's what i respect about the 'Last jedi', it's definitely not what anyone expected. It may not be good, it has good parts, but it's not what anyone expected.

I look upon it in the same way i would look upon any film. It get's plus points for being unusual.

Any film that goes from A to B without any interesting divergence is just a banal trudge through the expected.

That's why i like shit like 'Killer Clowns' it's not a great film but it has fun with the premise of space clowns.

'American werewolf' could be a basic Lon Chaney film but it screws with the premise.

Old 17th April 2018, 12:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen next now.That's kind of refreshing. nosferatu42

I dread to think what's going to happen next. I better get some Prozac and Scrumpy Jack cider ready for the conclusion.

Maybe there is an arc Hive that hasn't revealed its self yet. nosferatu42

Yeah. It may not even reveal itself in Episode 9. Ever think about that.
I'm sure most things in life can be improved with Prozac and some alcohol of choice. ( i'd go for Rum personally.)

Not really as to the arc, i'm not really that bothered to be honest, i just thought i'd offer a different opinion to yours, mostly just to be sarcastic because you seem to knock people down for liking the new films.

...And you've asked if people are being paid by Disney... Are you sure you are not George Lucas or his sisters brothers Uncle?? cuz you sure do love that shite.

They are just films.

Everyone is allowed an opinion.

You are talking to someone who likes Hershell Gordon Lewis, Jess Franco and Ed Wood films.

I like what i like, but i prefer it to be different.

Old 17th April 2018, 07:01 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I'm sure most things in life can be improved with Prozac and some alcohol of choice. ( i'd go for Rum personally.)

Not really as to the arc, i'm not really that bothered to be honest, i just thought i'd offer a different opinion to yours, mostly just to be sarcastic because you seem to knock people down for liking the new films.

...And you've asked if people are being paid by Disney... Are you sure you are not George Lucas or his sisters brothers Uncle?? cuz you sure do love that shite.

They are just films.

Everyone is allowed an opinion.

You are talking to someone who likes Hershell Gordon Lewis, Jess Franco and Ed Wood films.

I like what i like, but i prefer it to be different.
Post of the night!

Never give up drinking, nos.
Old 17th April 2018, 07:39 AM
Cult Addict

Phantom menace.

A great sword-fight wrapped up with a convoluted plot about trade embargo's and Tax avoidance. Once he (lucas) doesn't have Kurosawa plotting and his wife suggesting changes or Lawrence Kasdan sitting down with his scribblings and putting them into some kind of order, Lucas is just not a very good writer. His best work was American Graffiti, there he was essentially putting his own teenage years on paper.
For the full breakdown of what went wrong with all the star wars films (including the new ones) Mr Plinkett on youtube is well worth watching. Pretty much gives us a bunch of new races and characters including Naboo and the gungans in order to sell more toys. Yet Disney are clearly evil for looking at this business model and wanting a piece of it.

Once again we get back to the point of what I was saying. The films are essentially kids films with spaceships and shit blowing up. They can be fun and mostly are (things like Gungans and ewoks aside). So from that perspective the new films really are pretty much more of the same.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I'm not a Star Wars fan, it took me a while to get all the references when I bought the album featuring this song, but I think it is, along with Spaced, the best bit about The Phantom Menace's existence:

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 17th April 2018 at 10:21 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!