Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2013, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I missed Supernatural, I only saw Dead of Night on Amazon the other day, I think it was a recommendation, I'd been looking for the series earlier in the year though so I was rather excited to see it! I had to search for Supernatural after Demdike sent me a message about it. I've pre-ordered it but I'm hoping it will go down but you never know with Amazon, it is more likely to go up! I'm annoyed they didn't suggest it. I blame them.

I only noticed it because Amazon did suggest it to me.

Its not out until the middle of November if i remember correctly so perhaps it only came on site today.
Old 5th August 2013, 07:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I only noticed it because Amazon did suggest it to me.

Its not out until the middle of November if i remember correctly so perhaps it only came on site today.
Possibly, they haven't suggested it to me all day though, I'm on there all the time! It was annoying as it was near the bottom of the search list because of that TV series. I think Amazon are trying to stop me from ordering so much stuff through them, I think I have about 25 items coming this week thanks to my obsession with subscribe and save! I mean each time I order something they say Thank You but how do I know they mean it?
Old 5th August 2013, 07:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm really looking forward to Dead Of Night. Exorcism is excellent ( as is A Woman Sobbing ). The Beeb were fantastic at horror during the 70s, but were also equally fantastic as having no brains and wiping loads of this kind of stuff ( Out Of The Unknown, Menace, The Mind Beyond, Late Night Horror etc ). Supernatural (imo ) isn't classic BBC horror, but I'll be buying it all the same. I really hope these sell well enough to have what's remaining in the BBC vaults released on dvd.
Old 5th August 2013, 07:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Possibly, they haven't suggested it to me all day though, I'm on there all the time! It was annoying as it was near the bottom of the search list because of that TV series. I think Amazon are trying to stop me from ordering so much stuff through them, I think I have about 25 items coming this week thanks to my obsession with subscribe and save! I mean each time I order something they say Thank You but how do I know they mean it?
slightly off topic but Amazon gave me a 44pence refund the other day for one of my pre orders which was all well and good but they must of sent me 6 emails telling me this was happening,they seemed quite pleased with themselves,where as I was all "MEH" about it.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

It would seem the BFI are spoiling us classic horror tv fans.

CLASSIC GHOST STORIES (DVD)

After the success of their Ghost Stories for Christmas collection, the BFI presents another volume of classic BBC adaptations of the chilling work of M R James

These partially-dramatized readings by actor Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth, Mahler, Tommy) were originally broadcast to terrified audiences during the Christmas of 1986. Finally made available here for the very first time on DVD, these blood-curdling tales include such classics as 'The Mezzotint' , 'The Ash Tree' , 'Wailing Well' , 'The Rose Garden' and 'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad' .

Also included as an exclusive bonus on this release are the M R James episodes from the 1980 BBC TV series Spine Chillers - 'The Mezzotint' , 'A School Story' and 'The Diary of Mr Poynter' presented by celebrated actor Michael Bryant (star of the 1974 Ghost Story for Christmas episode The Treasure of Abbot Thomas ).

Special Features

First time on DVD of these BBC TV adaptations of classic M.R.James stories
All five episodes of the rare BBC TV series Classic Ghost Stories (1986)
Three episodes of Spine Chillers (1980), produced by the BBC's Jackanory team
Illustrated booklet with new writing and full credits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 915gNgW0LML._SL1500_.jpg (95.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th August 2013, 08:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I'm really looking forward to Dead Of Night. Exorcism is excellent ( as is A Woman Sobbing ). The Beeb were fantastic at horror during the 70s, but were also equally fantastic as having no brains and wiping loads of this kind of stuff ( Out Of The Unknown, Menace, The Mind Beyond, Late Night Horror etc ). Supernatural (imo ) isn't classic BBC horror, but I'll be buying it all the same. I really hope these sell well enough to have what's remaining in the BBC vaults released on dvd.
Yes the Dead Of Night episodes mentioned are pretty good, but I was very disappointed with Supernatural which I generally found slowly paced & some episodes were just boring.I will certainly be buying too though it having only seen time coded versions on YT.Perhaps a revisit to the series may improve my opinion now I know what to expect.
Old 6th August 2013, 04:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Both duly noted.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th August 2013, 08:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

HAUNTED which features two television plays screened in December 1974 on ITV is also worth a look.The first play starring Jeremy Brett is the best & is from a story by Kingsley Amis.He also wrote THE GREEN MAN made into a quite decent BBC mini-series in the 1990s (Also on dvd).
Haunted [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Jeremy Brett, Lesley Dunlop, Lynne Miller, Stuart Wilson, Angela Thorne, Matthew Pollock, John Irvin, Michael Apted: Film & TV

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Man-DV...+albert+finney
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!