Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2023, 08:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Merry Xmas to you both !!! In these trying times, the least we can do is wave to each other ahem.
And to you, sir

I tend not to 'do' emoji's or smilies, so will a kiss do?

XX
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th December 2023, 11:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I am currently viewing First Dates at Christmas with the other half. Also watched an 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown earler. I find these light hearted shows a useful antidote to online misery. Merry Christmas to all still active here with special mentions to the following: Noseferatu, Nosferatu 42, Demoncrat, Suzy and Mr Barlow. I should also mention Stephen and Callum and say I apologise for past mean spirited online actions. This place is very useful to me in keeping me in the loop about future releases and I enjoy the respectful interactions.
Merry Christmas to you too sir.
Old 25th December 2023, 08:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw the Seinfeld episode The Race on Xmas morning (it's very Xmassy) and The Avengers episode Too Many Christmas Trees while having my Xmas dinner, great spooky fun.
Old 26th December 2023, 04:50 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Merry Xmas to you both !!! In these trying times, the least we can do is wave to each other ahem.
Belated Merry Christmas mate. Your input here is something I appreciate.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 26th December 2023, 04:52 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Merry Christmas to you too sir.
Belated Merry Christmas Mr Barlow and much like Democrat i take notice of your posts.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 27th December 2023, 02:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm watching Sons of Anarchy for the second time, a show which unfolds as a riveting and adrenaline-fueled saga, and revisiting the first two seasons reveals its enduring appeal. The series, spanning seven seasons, deftly weaves a narrative tapestry that explores the intricacies of brotherhood, loyalty, and the consequences of living on the outskirts of the law within the world of SAMCRO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original).

One of the notable aspects of the show is its narrative resonance with Shakespeare's Hamlet, leading some to dub it 'Hamlet on Harleys'. The character dynamics within SAMCRO bear a striking resemblance to the power struggles and familial conflicts in the classic play. Charlie Hunnam's portrayal of Jax Teller mirrors Hamlet's internal conflict and moral ambiguity, creating a protagonist whose journey is both compelling and emotionally charged.

Ron Perlman's powerful performance as Clay Morrow adds a layer of complexity, drawing parallels to Hamlet's antagonist, while Katey Sagal's portrayal of Gemma Teller Morrow brings depth to the series, exploring the intricate web of relationships and personal sacrifices within the club. Interestingly, Gemma incorporates elements of Lady Macbeth, adding to the cultural touchstones and links with classic literature.

The first two seasons lay a solid foundation, introducing viewers to the gritty yet enthralling world of SAMCRO and setting the stage for the dramatic events that will unfold in subsequent seasons. The series skillfully balances high-stakes action with character-driven storytelling, creating a narrative that keeps audiences engaged and invested in the fates of the well-developed characters.

In a similar way to TV shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, this has a moral complexity that has the viewer on the side of antiheroes, people who think little of meting extreme violence – including murder – on people who cross them.

I'm probably going to watch the last episode of the second season later today and then the few episodes with commentaries, and will then watch the remaining five seasons; the prospect of revisiting the further evolution of the characters and the unfolding of the intricate plotlines is very inviting. Whether it's the gripping plot twists, the intense character development, or the exploration of moral dilemmas, Sons of Anarchy remains a standout in the crime drama genre, offering a compelling narrative that transcends its outlaw setting.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 27th December 2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 27th December 2023, 02:13 PM
Cult Master

First two episodes of season 3 of True Detective this is really great great stuff.

Sent from my Nokia C01 Plus using Tapatalk
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th December 2023, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Been working my way through Volume 2 of BBC’s Ghost Stories For Christmas. Like Volume 1, the upgrade in quality from the previous dvds is amazing - they’ve never looked so sharp and colourful.
Anyone who is still sitting on the fence about getting these Blu rays, don’t hang around - buy them!
Old 29th December 2023, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm watching Sons of Anarchy for the second time, a show which unfolds as a riveting and adrenaline-fueled saga, and revisiting the first two seasons reveals its enduring appeal. The series, spanning seven seasons, deftly weaves a narrative tapestry that explores the intricacies of brotherhood, loyalty, and the consequences of living on the outskirts of the law within the world of SAMCRO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original).

One of the notable aspects of the show is its narrative resonance with Shakespeare's Hamlet, leading some to dub it 'Hamlet on Harleys'. The character dynamics within SAMCRO bear a striking resemblance to the power struggles and familial conflicts in the classic play. Charlie Hunnam's portrayal of Jax Teller mirrors Hamlet's internal conflict and moral ambiguity, creating a protagonist whose journey is both compelling and emotionally charged.

Ron Perlman's powerful performance as Clay Morrow adds a layer of complexity, drawing parallels to Hamlet's antagonist, while Katey Sagal's portrayal of Gemma Teller Morrow brings depth to the series, exploring the intricate web of relationships and personal sacrifices within the club. Interestingly, Gemma incorporates elements of Lady Macbeth, adding to the cultural touchstones and links with classic literature.

The first two seasons lay a solid foundation, introducing viewers to the gritty yet enthralling world of SAMCRO and setting the stage for the dramatic events that will unfold in subsequent seasons. The series skillfully balances high-stakes action with character-driven storytelling, creating a narrative that keeps audiences engaged and invested in the fates of the well-developed characters.

In a similar way to TV shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, this has a moral complexity that has the viewer on the side of antiheroes, people who think little of meting extreme violence – including murder – on people who cross them.

I'm probably going to watch the last episode of the second season later today and then the few episodes with commentaries, and will then watch the remaining five seasons; the prospect of revisiting the further evolution of the characters and the unfolding of the intricate plotlines is very inviting. Whether it's the gripping plot twists, the intense character development, or the exploration of moral dilemmas, Sons of Anarchy remains a standout in the crime drama genre, offering a compelling narrative that transcends its outlaw setting.
Excellent post, Nos. Sons of Anarchy is superb.

Did you enjoy Sutter's earlier series The Shield?
Old 30th December 2023, 10:51 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent post, Nos. Sons of Anarchy is superb.

Did you enjoy Sutter's earlier series The Shield?
As I said in my review, Sons of Anarchy is an excellent TV series and one which stands up to repeated viewings.

I haven't seen any episodes of The Shield but heard references to it in a couple of the commentaries. If it's anything like SOA, then it's one to add to my wish list to watch in the future when my watchlist is considerably smaller.

Like this? Share it using the links below!