Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2009, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
The only thing missing from the previous DVD release of Nightmares in a Damaged Brain were a few snippets of gore (pre cut). Getting through today would be a breeze.
Absolutely right, Angel. Craig Lapper mentioned a few years ago that it was extremely unlikely that it would have been cut in 2005 if the uncut version had been submitted.
Old 5th May 2009, 06:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Off the top of my head I can think of a number of deserving gialli that are yet to see a UK release, but which have already been released elsewhere - as I know there is always the problem of the cost of/access to the rights of certain more rare films. Many of these have been released multiple times abroad, and so rights shouldn't be too much of a problem... (he says in hope! ). True, a lot of people will already own these titles through imports, but each title would compliment the rest of the Shameless catalogue!

- All the Colors of the Dark
- Autopsy
- Black Belly of the Tarantula
- Bloodstained Butterfly
- Bloodstained Shadow
- Case of the Bloody Iris
- Case of the Scorpion's Tail
- Death Carries a Cane
- Don't Torture a Duckling
- Inferno
- Lizard in a Woman's Skin
- Midnight Ripper
- Murder Rock
- Naked You Die (A.K.A. School Girl Killer)
- Seven Notes in Black
- Short Night of Glass Dolls
- Spasmo
- What Have You Done to Solange?

All are great titles already released in Europe and the US but not over here yet. They are all core gialli titles, well known amongst the fans and coupled with the Shameless treatment - would be gauranteed sellers!
Old 5th May 2009, 07:08 PM
Cultist

Some good suggestions there bizarre_eye, and your avatar makes me think that Four Flies on Grey Velvet would have been a good choice had it not just finally been released. How about -

The Case of the Bloody Iris
Demons
A Cat in the Brain
Demonia
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

As for Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, I found these quotes on a forum from Code Red, the company who are supposed to be releasing it - "Please call the film NIGHTMARE and not NIGHTMARE IN A DAMAGED BRAIN. That's the non-official title a Uk distributor created for the UK release when he licensed the film for 15 years (ended in 1993)... Just to let you know, my Italian extra guy conducted an interview with Romano Scavolini yesterday, (Romano declined to do a commentary, instead preferred to do a lengthy on camera interiew) he said he filmed over an hour worth of materials, so once we have it subtitled (it was conducted in Italian), which can be a major hassle, we should be able to start finalizing the release."

When I spoke to the director he seemed very proud of the movie so I think he wants a decent release, and since James Ferman retired in 1999, the BBFC have become surprisingly relaxed with many films they had previously banned so I would not rule it out. A featurette would be good to be released with the movie as the Tom Savini scandal was really interesting and then there was the incarceration of David Hamilton Grant for releasing an illegal cut. So guys, if Code Red's release falls through that movie would be perfect for Shameless.
Old 5th May 2009, 07:22 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Would love to have All The Colors of the Dark out there...
Old 5th May 2009, 07:26 PM
Cultist

If you're thinking of more Sergio Martino how about The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (Blade of the Ripper)?
Old 5th May 2009, 07:46 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

The lack of Martino in the UK market is criminal and that's reminded me to go implore various people to try and get something moving with his films.
Old 5th May 2009, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A director whose back catalogue would do extremely well here in the UK and a Martion collection would be well worth completing.
As for the comments above,the (very fake) looking foetus eating would sail by the BBFC now,as would NIADB.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th May 2009, 08:42 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Some good suggestions there bizarre_eye, and your avatar makes me think that Four Flies on Grey Velvet would have been a good choice had it not just finally been released. How about -

The Case of the Bloody Iris
Demons
A Cat in the Brain
Demonia
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
There was (and still is) a lot of controversy over the release of Four Flies.

I own both the grey market German Retrofilm release in the oversized clamshell box, and the new MYA Communications release. I read somewhere that MYA had released FFOGV without permission, and that they were unauthorized to do so. Also looking at their very impressive catalogue there may be something fishy going on with MYA... there is a thread over at lovelockandload about it. With MYA being the bastard son of NoShame, I can see them re-issuing Mrs Wardh and YVIALRAOIHTK - which incidentally is a cracking film... MYA is certainly a company to watch at the moment!
Old 6th May 2009, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Off the top of my head I can think of a number of deserving gialli that are yet to see a UK release, but which have already been released elsewhere - as I know there is always the problem of the cost of/access to the rights of certain more rare films. Many of these have been released multiple times abroad, and so rights shouldn't be too much of a problem... (he says in hope! ). True, a lot of people will already own these titles through imports, but each title would compliment the rest of the Shameless catalogue!

- All the Colors of the Dark
- Autopsy
- Black Belly of the Tarantula
- Bloodstained Butterfly
- Bloodstained Shadow
- Case of the Bloody Iris
- Case of the Scorpion's Tail
- Death Carries a Cane
- Don't Torture a Duckling
- Inferno
- Lizard in a Woman's Skin
- Midnight Ripper
- Murder Rock
- Naked You Die (A.K.A. School Girl Killer)
- Seven Notes in Black
- Short Night of Glass Dolls
- Spasmo
- What Have You Done to Solange?

All are great titles already released in Europe and the US but not over here yet. They are all core gialli titles, well known amongst the fans and coupled with the Shameless treatment - would be gauranteed sellers!
Case of the Bloody Iris was released over here by VIPCO in 2003.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 6th May 2009, 06:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Case of the Bloody Iris was released over here by VIPCO in 2003.
Uncut? Even if it is, it could definitely do with an upgrade... a nice brand spanking new yellow cover would do the trick...

Like this? Share it using the links below!