Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm all for some of these!

DEATH IN HIATI
DEVIL'S DOLL
FLESHLY GAMES
FORMULA FOR A MURDER
LOVE AND DEATH IN THE GARDEN OF THE GODS
NINE GUESTS FOR A CRIME
PROVINCIA VIOLENTA
SEXY RELATION
SLAP THE MONSTER ON FIRST PAGE
SPIRITS OF DEATH
THE BLACK COBRA
THE FOX WITH THE VELVET TAIL
THE REDCOATS
THE SICILIAN BOSS
THE TWO FACES OF FEAR
WHO KILLED THE PROSECUTOR AND WHY

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
As for Bava I'd love to see some good UK DVDs for his films but I suspect getting anyone to sell them now wouldn't be easy.
Yeah, ABUK gave up the ghost after The Mario Bava Collection Vol.1!

Weren't Tartan supposedly interested in issuing some Bava brilliance on U.K. DVD some time ago?
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Yeah, ABUK gave up the ghost after The Mario Bava Collection Vol.1!
I got that regardless of the fact I already had the ABUS version! lol

Maybe Palisade's will pick up the batton? If Jess Franco can sell in the UK, so can Bava.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 23rd September 2009, 02:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
If Jess Franco can sell in the UK, so can Bava.
Even more so imo!
Old 23rd September 2009, 06:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
I got that regardless of the fact I already had the ABUS version! lol

Maybe Palisade's will pick up the batton? If Jess Franco can sell in the UK, so can Bava.
Absolutely.There's no comparison in quality when Franco's films are compared to Bava's IMO.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

True but sadly Jess Franco is more known in the UK than Mario Bava which is pretty sad, my work colleuge loves Tim Burton who is a massive Bava freak but she'd never heard of Mario Bava. I just wish a company any company would do a decent release of Blood And Black Lace. It's the first proper giallo and one of Bava's best films it deserves a decent release. Saying that I'd be up for a decent release of Bay Of Blood too. I know the AB US version has vastly improved audio and picture but someone must be able to remaster it properly.
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:24 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Two top contenders for a yellow jacket,I'd reckon.
You not seen the Italian Raro DVD of BOB then mate?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I never bought the Raro DVD Reaper, I held off for the Bava Boxset from ABUS which is a vast improvement over the old Image release. I have heard the AWE release has much improved picture and audio but I'd like to wait and see in case Shameless or Arrow release it. Afterall Bava was a Master Of Giallo and Bay Of Blood is one of the most popular gialli ever!
Old 24th September 2009, 09:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Absolutely.There's no comparison in quality when Franco's films are compared to Bava's IMO.
I agree totally.

Nothing personal against Franco but the only film of his i can really get away with is Faceless.
I've got ABUK's Jack The Ripper but have yet to watch it so this title may (or may not) be another Franco foray i can (or can't) sit through and enjoy.
The same goes for Jean Rollin, i've got Arrow's Zombie Lake DVD but that's definitely it!
I really can't see the fascination with these two filmmakers (and i love Euro horror as much as anyone else here!) and find it hard to believe both Franco and Rollin are so popular enough to warrant constant DVD attention while the infinitely superior Bava still gets something of the cold shoulder on U.K. DVD shelves.
And before anybody asks, i'm not Allan Bryce!

I'm afraid when it comes to Spanish horror i'll generally go as far as Amando De Ossorio and Paul Naschy and that's about it.
The current crop of French shockers also do it for me too but nothing else prior to this new wave of Gallic gore.

No offence to both Franco and Rollin devotees but each to their own.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:37 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've tried getting into Rollin too, but so far the only films I can say I truly enjoyed are Grapes of Death and Living Dead Girl! They others have just bored me to be honest.

Franco however, I can enjoy. I like the whacky, freestyle approach to his films - but don't get me wrong, MANY of his films are complete garbage! lol I just find him more accessible than Rollin.

Welcome to The Deuce

Last edited by Philleh; 24th September 2009 at 11:19 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!