Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:15 PM
Cultist

If there was another Box of the Banned I think I'd want:

The Ghastly Ones
Delirium
Human Experiments
Mardi Gras Massacre
Night of the Demon
Nightmare Maker
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:26 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Re: Vincenzo
Remember since the video recordings act and others, films made years ago would still be cut.
e.g. the brilliant RACE WITH THE DEVIL. uncut at the cinemas in the 70's but it's now on dvd cut because of the snake killing scene.
I have read on other websites as well that NIGHTMARE would still be cut to the scenes mentioned.
Honestly, and hopefully I will be proved wrong
Race With The Devil is cut due to the tightening up of the Animals Act. Other 70's films that were once uncut (ie Bug) would also be cut for exactly the same reason if submitted today. This same rule now applies to many films now. Some going back to the 30's (the Tarzan films, Garbo's Anna Karenina etc).

The BBFC seldom cut films simply for violence today unless the cuts are made for category (ie a 12/15 certificate) or that the violence is sexually based. Nothing in Nightmare would cover that. The Protection Of Children Act 1978 is predominantly used for films that depict underage children in a sexual environment.

Even at the height of the video nasty era in the 80's (when Nightmare was surprisingly submitted for cinema release) the only cuts made were to scenes of bloody violence (ie the ice pick murder and closeups of bloody wounds). If the BBFC were to have cut the film under the PCA it would have been then. The film has been seen since (last in 2005) and the scenes featuring the boy weren't cut. Craig Lapper (BBFC examiner) went on record as saying the following re the DVD print.....

Quote:
Because of the vagueness of the cuts we are unable to say for sure whether the version we were given in 2002 is the same as the 'X' rated cinema version or whether the cuts have been partially (but evidently not completely) restored. I very much doubt that we would cut the full version now so it's a pity we've haven't been presented with it.
Rest assured the BBFC would have no problems if submitted today. Now it's about time someone finally got round to releasing it.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:30 PM
Cultist

With regards to the portrayal of a child committing violence, Pieces also opened with a child murdering a parent with an axe and I believe that was released uncut. Very sleazy and shares a few similarities with Nightmare, so I'm sure it could be released uncut. So work on that special edition, even production notes as extras would be a start :-)
Old 4th November 2009, 06:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Vince is right, the BBFC would not cut Nightmares today. The film contains nothing that is illegal under any legislation therefore cuts would not even be considered.
Old 4th November 2009, 06:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Waiting to be snapped up.
Lets hope They are
Old 4th November 2009, 06:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I would be really really suprised if Night of the Demon got released.
I would be really really happy if NIGHT OF THE DEMON got released
Old 6th November 2009, 12:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSix View Post
The US disc is uncut as far as I'm aware, but it is the theatrical version. The director's cut was released in Germany which is apparently shorter than the theatrical cut but contains more violent scenes or something.
I believe Lustig's own edit deletes the implausible date scene between Spinell and Munro. Also, the hooker bed strangulation has been shortened if i'm not mistaken.
Old 7th November 2009, 01:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Also, the hooker bed strangulation has been shortened if i'm not mistaken.
So it runs under half an hour now?

I quite like Maniac as a curio (got a US laserdisc of it - which has annoyingly developed a few jumps and sticks...grrrrr) but it is pretty poorly made in many respects. The pacing is all over the place!
Old 7th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Also, the hooker bed strangulation has been shortened if i'm not mistaken.
The BBFC shortened it even further.
Old 7th November 2009, 06:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

How does anyone think Mark Of The Devil would fare with the BBFC these days? I think it would possibly get through ( particularly when you consider the old ABUK disc had part of the censored torture scene on the trailer )..

Like this? Share it using the links below!