Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179953Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've no idea to be honest, I have series one on DVD and it has plenty of colourful name calling such as "Honky", "Sambo" and "Nig Nog". To be honest I don't know how anyone could get offended by Love Thy Neighbour, it's not a racist show and if anything eases racial tension... anyone with a sense of humour can see that.

I'm surprised you haven't seen Franco's early big 4, do put that right at once sir, I'm sure the Image discs are going for next to nothing now. In fact buy the following:

Jess Franco Collection (Image) : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jess-Franco-...3581895&sr=1-3

Orloff Collection : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orloff-Colle...3581913&sr=1-1

Both of those are way cheaper than what I got them for so no "I'm broke" excuses this time, Mark .
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I've no idea to be honest, I have series one on DVD and it has plenty of colourful name calling such as "Honky", "Sambo" and "Nig Nog". To be honest I don't know how anyone could get offended by Love Thy Neighbour, it's not a racist show and if anything eases racial tension... anyone with a sense of humour can see that.

I'm surprised you haven't seen Franco's early big 4, do put that right at once sir, I'm sure the Image discs are going for next to nothing now. In fact buy the following:

Jess Franco Collection (Image) : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jess-Franco-...3581895&sr=1-3

Orloff Collection : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orloff-Colle...3581913&sr=1-1

Both of those are way cheaper than what I got them for so no "I'm broke" excuses this time, Mark .

I had both of those Franco boxes, highly reccomended if your a Franco fan ( even if Orloff and the Invisible Man is not a Franco film ).

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Had?!?!?! Why did you get rid of them?
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I got bored with them so i swaped 'em.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:58 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Both Till Death Us Do Part and Curry & Chips were also un-PC but equally amusing.

I remember watching a 70's retro prog on BBC2 a while back where they asked the opinions of Love Thy Neighbour's 4 main stars as to whether it should be shown on TV again. Surprisingly the only one who objected was Kate Williams.
Old 2nd February 2009, 06:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched MY BLOODY VALENTINE last night UNCUT and I'm glad to report it's all the better for it! A major improvement on the last version!
Some people may complain that the cut footage ain't up to the rest of the pic's transfer,but I like it,as it shows exactly what was cut and what wasn't....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
On The Buses is HILARIOUS.I've no time for these snobby film & tv critics who slate the films & series.Brilliantly cast & wonderfully un p.c.
Good to see a couple of fellow On the Buses fans on here (well, one fan and one who thinks it's alright!!) My personal favourite character is Arthur, although the lecherous Jack runs him a close second. I know what you mean about it being a bit samey though Cloud, it seems like there are about six episodes based on Olive getting a job at the depot! Still easily my favourite comedy series though!

Just got Mother of Tears as a present so I'm looking forward to watching that again - last time I watched it was with a mate and a few beers and I thought it was OK but tailed off in the second part.
Old 2nd February 2009, 08:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well the main problem I had with On The Buses was its repetition. They never tried to evolve their style and literally every scene became predictable. For 7 seasons it became heavy going, but as I say, I think its strength lay with some of the characters on show. I grew up in the '90s with better written comedies like Men Behaving Badly and Father Ted so I guess I am a little fussier than others a bit older than me when it comes to comedy.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:33 PM
Ex-member

Default Dvds i bought

I have ordered the R1 dvds of Argento's FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET and DOOR INTO DARKNESS, disappointed in Lionsgate's so-called uncut MY BLOODY VALENTINE, when I read on melonfarmers, that it is missing an extra gory scene, which is probably lost for good, and the 'uncut' scenes that are shown are of a bad VHS tape quality.
Why the hell didn't Lionsgate (who are known for ****ing up) digitally remaster it?
I have also bought the R2 dvds of EDEN LAKE, BOTCHED, P2 and DANTE 0.1, Unfortunately I have not had time to watch them all!
Except for VALENTINE, and Agento's are still to be released.
The last horror film I saw was the brilliant un-PC British horror FANTACIDE.
Excellent!
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Well the main problem I had with On The Buses was its repetition. They never tried to evolve their style and literally every scene became predictable. For 7 seasons it became heavy going, but as I say, I think its strength lay with some of the characters on show. I grew up in the '90s with better written comedies like Men Behaving Badly and Father Ted so I guess I am a little fussier than others a bit older than me when it comes to comedy.
I love Father Ted too & there were some classic episodes.My favourite was the one where he tried to convince people he was not a racist.I don't think Love Thy Neighbour is cut at all apart from ad caps in episodes which seems to annoy fans more.(certainly on Zeta Minor)

Like this? Share it using the links below!