All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179952Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2012, 11:45 AM
Cult Rookie

Default 555

Recently i watched 555 after getting the limited dvd release and Video from
Massacre Video ...

Craptastic stuff !! if you like your horror 80's, straight to video, casio key boardesc sound track , Blood and breasts bad acting with lashings of gore all rapped up on a wonderful release of love for the film..
! yes its brilliant Cult fun !
Old 16th February 2012, 03:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

watched the classic Spanish vampire film The Blood Spattered Bride last night, starring the gorgeous Maribel Martin. Absolutely superb!
Great European style, and highly atmospheric.
Wish they still made vampire films like this.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Beneath Still Waters - I can imagine the artificial appearance of this film and its dream-like atmosphere alienating some viewers and making them dislike this Brian Yuzna film, but it was exactly those things that made it for me. It has a similar Lovecraftian sense of apocalyptic insanity to Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness, though is less polished, presumably for budgetary reasons.

It's not a superb film, but I did like it and I can see myself getting the Blu-ray of it and watching it again in HD. It also feels oddly like a companion piece to the Fantastic Factory's other water horror Dagon.

I would recommend it if you have a taste for such illogical, oneiric horror.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:40 PM
Active Cultist

Had a BU Blu ray double bill last night of Torso and Night Train Murders. My first viewing of both these movies and, given their respective reputations, I was surprised by my reactions. First Torso - I thought this was a poor effort. I found the directing style really strained - every other shot was the camera peeping behind something - a statue, a chair, a bed knob - this got old real quick. The gore was unexpectedly brief but maybe that's a good thing because what there was was laughable. Everytime the pace lagged (often) the director threw more and more breasts at the problem - OK for a leer but not my idea of a classic horror movie. I kept waiting for the 20 minutes of 'pure cinema' Eli Roth promised in his introduction but it never arrived. Maybe the fact that this movie was the inspiration for his career speaks for itself. Now, the positive, Night Train Murders - what a brilliantly directed and gripping movie! I expected this to be a down at heel affair with a fair load of the red stuff but it turned out to be a highly impressive piece of work and barely explicit at all. Great lighting, memorable villainess (that psychic out of Inferno) and first rate use of sound/location. Only downer was some sledgehammer 'social comment' scenes but apart from that a highly recommended from me - didn't see that coming!
Old 16th February 2012, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blade Runner
Old 16th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Blade Runner
Ah, but which version?
Old 16th February 2012, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched Francesco,a realistic view of the life of St-Francis of Assisi starring Mickey Rourke(when he had a face)and Helena Bonham Carter(when she didn't have Burton!)and While The City Sleeps,good film noir by Fritz Lang with an impressive castana Andrews,George Sanders,Thomas Mitchell,Vincent Price,John Barrymore jr and Ida Lupino wow! Also rewatched Munich and the fantastic The Lives Of Others which I enjoyed Even more the second time, starring the exceptional and sadly gone too soon Ulrich Mühe
Old 16th February 2012, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Beneath Still Waters - I can imagine the artificial appearance of this film and its dream-like atmosphere alienating some viewers and making them dislike this Brian Yuzna film, but it was exactly those things that made it for me. It has a similar Lovecraftian sense of apocalyptic insanity to Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness, though is less polished, presumably for budgetary reasons.

It's not a superb film, but I did like it and I can see myself getting the Blu-ray of it and watching it again in HD. It also feels oddly like a companion piece to the Fantastic Factory's other water horror Dagon.

I would recommend it if you have a taste for such illogical, oneiric horror.
I'm not familiar with this one, nor do I rate Brian Yuzna all that highly, but on the basis of your description I'm thinking of giving it a go as it seems to tick a lot of my favourite boxes, particularly if it stands up well beside Dagon.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I'm not familiar with this one, nor do I rate Brian Yuzna all that highly, but on the basis of your description I'm thinking of giving it a go as it seems to tick a lot of my favourite boxes, particularly if it stands up well beside Dagon.
It really doesn't stand up alongside Dagon. The greatest Lovecraft film ever.

It is enjoyable enough though and a fun watch, it just doesn't compare to Dagon.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
It really doesn't stand up alongside Dagon. The greatest Lovecraft film ever.

It is enjoyable enough though and a fun watch, it just doesn't compare to Dagon.
I'll keep an eye out for it, but now I've got Dagon in my head I might just rewatch that instead!

Like this? Share it using the links below!