LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Nice review, Dem.

Whilst nothing mind-blowing, I quite enjoyed Nothing Underneath and have the DVD pictured in your review. I've always wanted to check out the sequel but haven't gotten around to it as yet.

As for giallo and Pleasence, he also starred in Phantom of Death.
He did you're right. I never think of that when i think of giallo.
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He did you're right. I never think of that when i think of giallo.
Yeah, Phantom is a bit of a funny one. More slasher in style than giallo really.
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, Phantom is a bit of a funny one. More slasher in style than giallo really.
I was thinking more Jekyll and Hyde than anything.
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't consider it a giallo because there is no mystery to the 'murder mystery' typical of many gialli, in which the killer's identity is only revealed late in the third act.

It's definitely more of a slasher or serial killer film.
sjconstable likes this.
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Triple 9

It was ok and that's it, from the trailer and cast was expecting a lot more , was a little dull and overlong in places and coudnt connect with any of the characters as they nearly all came of as unlikable, but that could of been the point. one that I woudnt bother to watch again or buy. Worth a watch but that's it 6.7/0

Anyone seen a picmans muse?
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Recently watched Beasts of No Nation, Lone Survivor, Wild Card and Pulp Fiction on Netflix.
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Nice review, Dem.

Whilst nothing mind-blowing, I quite enjoyed Nothing Underneath and have the DVD pictured in your review. I've always wanted to check out the sequel but haven't gotten around to it as yet.

As for giallo and Pleasence, he also starred in Phantom of Death.
Pleasance is in Phenomena too.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th February 2016, 06:53 AM
Cult Addict

The premonition

The final film in the American Horror project is a more restrained and sedate affair that feels like a hybrid of daytime soap opera plot fused with Carrie. A woman who gave her child up for adoption gets out of the bug house and hooks up with a clown, played by genre legend Richard Lynch in a terrific performance. The pair decide to form a nuclear family unit so decide to abduct the child from her adoptive family and head off into the woods. It doesn't help that the pair might have some level of psychic powers as they assail the adoptive mother with terrifying psychic visions.
The premonition is an entertaining horror that focuses on character driven drama than blood & guts. In that way it plays more like a great TV horror of the kind that used to be made in the 70's. I suspect some of the modern horror audience might be put off but I liked it.

99 homes

Andrew garfield plays a construction worker who notices work is drying up. Worse still his house is under threat of foreclosure. When his home is seized by the banks agent Rick Carver (played with reptilian charm by the terrific Michael Shannon) he is left in a desperate situation. Through a series of circumstance he finds himself working for carver and repossessing homes for the bank. At this point his morality begins to kick in and he finds himself questioning his actions.
99 homes is a film of two halves. One is a brutally frank look at the financial collapse from the people whose lives were totally destroyed by it. The film really delves into the reality of the situation a lot of people found themselves in. It refuses to sugar coat things for its audience and contains some bruital honesty (pointing out these people took massive loans that they new they could not repay) Then the other half is where the character ultimately seeks redemption for his sins. Personally I would have preferred to see Garfields character end up in a large empty home realising he has become a monster.
That said its well worth watching
Old 24th February 2016, 07:39 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Pleasance is in Phenomena too.
That's not a giallo though!
Old 24th February 2016, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The premonition

The final film in the American Horror project is a more restrained and sedate affair that feels like a hybrid of daytime soap opera plot fused with Carrie. A woman who gave her child up for adoption gets out of the bug house and hooks up with a clown, played by genre legend Richard Lynch in a terrific performance. The pair decide to form a nuclear family unit so decide to abduct the child from her adoptive family and head off into the woods. It doesn't help that the pair might have some level of psychic powers as they assail the adoptive mother with terrifying psychic visions.
The premonition is an entertaining horror that focuses on character driven drama than blood & guts. In that way it plays more like a great TV horror of the kind that used to be made in the 70's. I suspect some of the modern horror audience might be put off but I liked it.
I have this to look forward to tonight all being well.

I watched a double-bill of Malatesta's Carnival of Blood and The Witch Who Came from the Sea last night. Witch I've had on DVD for years courtesy of Subversive Cinema but it was great to revisit it again in HD. Malatesta I had never seen before but had wanted to for a while after reading some interesting things about it so I was really eager to check it out (the main reason why I cracked open my set last night really). It didn't disappoint, and its wonky madness was comfortably infecting. A good analogy would be if Tobe Hooper were to have dropped acid and made The Funhouse eight years earlier with some money he found in his sock drawer... then it may very well have been as insane, seedy and nightmarishly good as Malatesta was.

Like this? Share it using the links below!