Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2023, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Over this year's you have done many many brilliant reviews but you have out done yourself with this one I love it
Thank you very much for your kind comment.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th July 2023, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Toolbox Murders (2004)

A double bill last night from the same Anchor Bay dvd set. Tobe Hooper's remake of the 1978 film The Toolbox Murders is a largely enjoyable reimagining set in an old LA apartment building in which a supernatural presence long buried is awoken thanks to renovation work being carried out to the building.

It's not as nasty as the original but it does have it's moments. The apartment block is art deco and reminiscent of old Hollywood making for a great setting and whilst the kills aren't memorable - unlike the original film - a good cast including Angela Bettis and Juliet Landau plus a pre-opening credits cameo for Sheri Moon Zombie make it all worthwhile.

Disc two in the set houses the excellent documentary The American Nightmare (2000). A 75 minute production in which film makers John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven, George A Romero and David Cronenberg discuss their seminal works from Night of the Living Dead through The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Dawn of the Dead, and Halloween to the sex / body horror of Shivers.

It's a fascinating look at the American climate at the time during the late '60s and '70s and provides us with some genuinely horrific imagery from the Vietnam war. Meanwhile the knowledgeable likes of John Landis and Tom Savini as well as assorted academics crop up to discuss the classic status of the films in question. Or in Landis' case talk about watching his beloved Universal horrors at drive ins.

All in all Toolbox Murders is an excellent set which comes in a sturdy outer case and has six actual postcards from the movie with it. This two disc set would cost £30 today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1064 (Large).jpg (96.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 25th July 2023, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Toolbox Murders (2004)

A double bill last night from the same Anchor Bay dvd set. Tobe Hooper's remake of the 1978 film The Toolbox Murders is a largely enjoyable reimagining set in an old LA apartment building in which a supernatural presence long buried is awoken thanks to renovation work being carried out to the building.

It's not as nasty as the original but it does have it's moments. The apartment block is art deco and reminiscent of old Hollywood making for a great setting and whilst the kills aren't memorable - unlike the original film - a good cast including Angela Bettis and Juliet Landau plus a pre-opening credits cameo for Sheri Moon Zombie make it all worthwhile.

Disc two in the set houses the excellent documentary The American Nightmare (2000). A 75 minute production in which film makers John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven, George A Romero and David Cronenberg discuss their seminal works from Night of the Living Dead through The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Dawn of the Dead, and Halloween to the sex / body horror of Shivers.

It's a fascinating look at the American climate at the time during the late '60s and '70s and provides us with some genuinely horrific imagery from the Vietnam war. Meanwhile the knowledgeable likes of John Landis and Tom Savini as well as assorted academics crop up to discuss the classic status of the films in question. Or in Landis' case talk about watching his beloved Universal horrors at drive ins.

All in all Toolbox Murders is an excellent set which comes in a sturdy outer case and has six actual postcards from the movie with it. This two disc set would cost £30 today.
It's not the best remake but it's enjoyable, save your sanity and avoid the sequel, you would have more fun sat in a dentist chair than sit through the film.
Old 26th July 2023, 01:07 PM
Cult Master

images.jpg

Two couples head out to swim a reef off the coast of Australia on a sort of trip of rediscovery as one of the couples has a bit of a checkered past and haven't been on touch for sometime but the feelings are still there but both seem afraid of their emotions. After a bit of underwater sight seeing they return to their boat only for his to hit another reef and flip upside down forcing them to decide if they should swim for the nearest island or wait it out and hope to be rescued before the boat sinks. The boats captain is having none of it as a fisherman he knows exactly what is lurking under the waves so he is staying put. After much discussion and persuading the two couples head out this one trip that may bring them even closer or literally rip them apart.

Honestly one of the most realistic shark films I have ever seen. The whole thing is actually terrifying just watching them look out over the vast endless looking horizon not knowing if anything is under them stalking waiting for it's chance is extremely unnerving. With one member of the group having goggles on he is the one tasked with looking under to see what's going on and even when there is nothing there you like them can see things moving in the darkness . The way the shark is shot is amazing this is real shark action it's not some big fake CGI mess. The shark attacks are also very realistic it's not a shark swallowing people whole it's a shark acting like a shark and killing people the way a shark kills its prey and itsvery very effective.

The acting is brilliant also there reactions are exactly what you would expect in that llreal life situation sheer terror and shock not just screaming their heads off everything just feels genuine and that adds to the horror of the film too. No one is over doing it no one is trying to be the hero just real raw emotions.

I would say this is a must see I was on edge every moment of the film it has to be one of the scariest situations you can put yourself in.

Cheers Dem for your review the other day bringing this to my attention.
Old 26th July 2023, 01:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 247224

Two couples head out to swim a reef off the coast of Australia on a sort of trip of rediscovery as one of the couples has a bit of a checkered past and haven't been on touch for sometime but the feelings are still there but both seem afraid of their emotions. After a bit of underwater sight seeing they return to their boat only for his to hit another reef and flip upside down forcing them to decide if they should swim for the nearest island or wait it out and hope to be rescued before the boat sinks. The boats captain is having none of it as a fisherman he knows exactly what is lurking under the waves so he is staying put. After much discussion and persuading the two couples head out this one trip that may bring them even closer or literally rip them apart.

Honestly one of the most realistic shark films I have ever seen. The whole thing is actually terrifying just watching them look out over the vast endless looking horizon not knowing if anything is under them stalking waiting for it's chance is extremely unnerving. With one member of the group having goggles on he is the one tasked with looking under to see what's going on and even when there is nothing there you like them can see things moving in the darkness . The way the shark is shot is amazing this is real shark action it's not some big fake CGI mess. The shark attacks are also very realistic it's not a shark swallowing people whole it's a shark acting like a shark and killing people the way a shark kills its prey and itsvery very effective.

The acting is brilliant also there reactions are exactly what you would expect in that llreal life situation sheer terror and shock not just screaming their heads off everything just feels genuine and that adds to the horror of the film too. No one is over doing it no one is trying to be the hero just real raw emotions.

I would say this is a must see I was on edge every moment of the film it has to be one of the scariest situations you can put yourself in.

Cheers Dem for your review the other day bringing this to my attention.
Delighted you enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the correct word. Put yourself through it might be a better wording.

An absolute gripper isn't it.
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.
Old 26th July 2023, 01:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Pope’s Exorcist (2023)

I was actually really surprised to learn that the Vatican City is only an 15 hour drive from San Sebastián, Spain, and is possibly do-able on an old Vespa while wearing a cassock, as demonstrated by Russell Crowe, who is really great in this partly Italian language religious shocker.

It’s the usual sort of possession movie, with the child possessed by an all powerful demon tying to get under the skin of the attending priests, and with the usual ‘The Exorcist’-esque demonic dialogue which in this case is voiced by Ralph “Finchy from The Office” Inneson. I couldn’t quite put my finger on who the voice actor was until near the end of the movie, and while checking the credits to confirm I was delighted to realise that the Pope is played by Franco Nero!

Well worth a watch

IMG_7540.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26th July 2023, 03:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Ferryman (2007)

A group of tourists hire a yacht for an ocean leisure cruise to Fiji. Responding to a distress call they pick up the lone survivor from the stricken vessel, known only as the Greek (John Rhys-Davies). The Greek is possessed by a malevolent spirit attempting to cheat death or The Ferryman, by using an enchanted dagger to kill and then swap souls with anyone he meets in a bid to survive.

What begins as a fairly run of the mill horror with reasonable characters, even Tamer Hassan - usually associated with British thuggery - comes across as sympathetic, develops towards the half way stage into a genuinely exciting and bloody demonic body swapping horror and a decent stab at the old legend of 'Who pays the ferryman of Hades'.

One of those dvd's i bought and watched and never returned to. All these years later i'm pleased i finally did as i thoroughly enjoyed it once more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41075_1_large.jpg (91.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th July 2023, 04:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

grandtheftauto_29978__58179.jpg
GRAND THEFT AUTO (1977)

Much to the annoyance of her wealthy parents and her so called fiancé, Nancy Morgan and Ron Howard head off to Las Vegas in a Rolls Royce to get married.
Before they know it, $25,000 reward money to stop them is up for grabs as Nancy's father puts a message out on a radio station.
Then after the fiancé crashes his car in the chase, his mother also puts up $25,000 for his safe return!
So, the chase is on as multiple people join the chase to Las Vegas for the reward money followed from above by the radio station helicopter..

This movie is so much fun. Apart from a brief moment when Nancy and Ron stop to talk about what they are doing, It's non stop car chases, crashes, explosions and comedy.
Go along for the ride
Old 26th July 2023, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning at the cinema yesterday and thought it was great, literally and figuratively spectacular.

Tom Cruise is ageing incredibly well and some of the stunts he did in this would be impressive for a man half his age, never mind someone approaching his 60th birthday. Even at this relatively advanced age, he is still an action star of the highest calibre.

Christopher McQuarrie, who shot this shortly after making the equally intense and compelling Mission: Impossible – Fallout, clearly has a good rapport with Cruse, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, and Rebecca Ferguson, and has assembled a fine ensemble cast with Esai Morales, Pom Klementieff, Mariela Garriga, and Henry Czerny.

Morales' portrayal of Gabriel, the antagonist, is a standout feature because this ambitious terrorist is organised, ruthless, and sociopathic – a dangerous adversary for Ethan Hunt and the IMF team to stop.

I thought this was an awesome piece of action filmmaking with several very suspenseful sequences, and it's a film I am glad I saw on a big cinema screen with appropriately loud and bombastic sound. Although I'll enjoy watching it at home, I'll be unable to recreate the immersive visuals and volume of the cinema experience.

Old 26th July 2023, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exterminators Of The Year 3000. 1983.

Earth now a wasteland due to nuclear war, survivors are fighting over territory and water.

This may cause something questionable or have people call it in as it shows a minor downing a few to help cure pain and do a bit of air guitaring which is comical. The deaths of some is a bit comical due to a bit of bad editing but does come with some blood and gore. This is a but of a rip off from Mad Max and Death Race bit for some reason I actually found this pretty entertaining.

images.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!