Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1930's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I was going to say The Invisible Man too but you only asked for one but now i'll put it in as runner up.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:50 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Very hard to split these two for me but Larry Talbot narrowly wolfs it.
Old 4th January 2010, 06:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The BBFC downgraded Piranha from an 18 to a 15 in 2002. The print submitted was identical to the previous one. All that was different was a change of distributor (MGM requested a 15).
You may be interested to know, Vince that after the BBFC sent me that reply about not being able to downgrade because it was identical, when I enquired soon after about the downgrading of Depalma's SISTERS, they said although it was identical to the previous version they could not justify the 18. So it seems their "policy" at the time was a bit shaky.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:42 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
Hmmm it's a tough choice but i'll pick The Bride Of Frankenstein as my favourite
I'd go with that as well. It's a truly astonishing piece of classic filmmaking, IMO.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:07 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
So it seems their "policy" at the time was a bit shaky.
Thanks for that, Angel. Yes that policy does seem to have been a bit wobbly at the time. All part of the new BBFC 'transition' I guess.

The Mummy is certainly not worth a 15 today. Barely a 12 in my opinion.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:19 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oops Looks like I'm going to have to change my answer here about my favourite of all time.Since it's on the Monsterlegacy site and was made in the 40's,I'm going to go with Abbott & Costello Meet Frankentsein.Not only does it star my favourite comedy double act of all time but also Dracula,Frankenstein's monster,The Wolf Man and a cameo by the Invisiblle man.The best Comedy/Horror of all time.....FACT!
Old 4th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

If I had to pick one, it have to be The Invisible Man. Rains' performance is maniacally macabre, plus the film has some of the most memorable set-pieces of all the classic Universal horrors of the time IMO.

Runners-up woulod include two of my favourite Werewolf films: The Wolf Man and Werewolf of London.
Old 27th March 2010, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

my favourites from the old B&W horror era (not necessarily Universal) were Werewolf of London, Isle of the Dead, The Old Dark House & Island of Lost Souls (2 great Charles Laughton movies!). Pretty much all the Val Lewton/Jaques Tourneur films, especially I Walked With A Zombie (one of the few really good horror films based on voodoo!?). Of the early B&W Hammers I think The Abominable Snowman (with the great Peter Cushing) was perhaps the best.

ps. I thought the Burt Lancaster remake of Dr. Moreau/island of lost souls was pretty entertaining but just didnt have the same atmosphere of the original...
Old 27th March 2010, 10:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Of those from Universal:

The absolute best is The Old Dark House, but Frankenstein and The Bride Of Frankenstein aren't a million miles behind.

Very fond of The Invisible Man, Dracula, the magical Dracula's Daughter and the deranged The Black Cat too. I think the most under-rated is Son Of Frankenstein which is a superb film deserving of more respect, in my opinion.

I recently rewatched The Wolf Man and was astounded at how badly it holds up today - I used to love that film!
Old 27th March 2010, 10:55 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
Hmmm it's a tough choice but i'll pick The Bride Of Frankenstein as my favourite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'd go with that as well. It's a truly astonishing piece of classic filmmaking, IMO.

Me too,the old blind man scene is great.

BTW Asda has some great universal horror dvds at reasonable prices.

Like this? Share it using the links below!