Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2011, 08:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
I had that late 70s Quatermass series and it was brilliant. Wish I still did.

Campaign starts here...
It's on youtube in it entirety, 4 60 minutes episodes..
Old 25th September 2011, 08:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just pre-ordered The blu on amazon for £12.94 wooooooo
Old 25th September 2011, 09:15 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm really looking forward to this one; I've had it on pre-order since it was announced, plus it has already been delayed (twice?).
Old 25th September 2011, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I am a great Quatermass fan and have all the films and TV series on DVD and shortly will have QATP on BD too.

However, there was a film that was made by Hammer shortly after The Quatermass Xperiment which was to have been a sequel to that film.
This film had an American scientist helping the UK authorities track down a radioactive monster wreaking havoc in Scotland....
Everything was set with Brian Donlevy set to reprise his role from the Quatermass Xperiment when Nigel Kneale refused to allow his creation to be used. The film was hastily renamed and recast with Dean Jagger taking over the role of the scientist now named Dr Royston.
When watching this film now it is not hard to realise that you are effectively watching the sequel to the Quatermass Xperiment.
And the name of this film?
X The Unknown:

Last edited by The Limey; 25th September 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 25th September 2011, 09:31 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
I am a great Quatermass fan and have all the films and TV series on DVD and shortly will have QATP on BD too.

However, there was a film that was made by Hammer shortly after The Quatermass Xperiment which was to have been a sequel to that film.
This film had an American scientist helping the UK authorities track down a radioactive monster wreaking havoc in the Scotland....
Everything was set with Brian Donlevy set to reprise his role from the Quatermass Xperiment when Nigel Kneale refused to allow his creation to be used. The film was hastily renamed and recast with Dean Jagger taking over the role of the scientist now named Dr Royston.
When watching this film now it is not hard to realise that you are effectively watching the sequel to the Quatermass Xperiment.
And the name of this film?
X The Unknown:

Thanks for the history lesson there - one of a film-maker's best assets is being able to redo everything but the basic plot, good (and sometimes bad) thing that ideas can't be copyrighted.

Is this considered apart of the Quartermass collection (obviously non-canon due to different characters etc) or does it stand loud and proud by its lonesome?

All of this has me really intrigued. I wouldn't be surprised if a modern remake rocked up in the next couple of years.

Pottermore: SkyDragon113
Old 25th September 2011, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattery View Post
Thanks for the history lesson there - one of a film-maker's best assets is being able to redo everything but the basic plot, good (and sometimes bad) thing that ideas can't be copyrighted.

Is this considered apart of the Quartermass collection (obviously non-canon due to different characters etc) or does it stand loud and proud by its lonesome?
It is regarded as a classic in its own right and yes is very much a standalone saga. Dean Jagger gives a great performance as Quatermass (errr Dr Royston!) and has great support from the likes of Leo McKern and Anthony Newley.
I have the DD DVD of this which sits alongside the double bill of The Quatermass Xperiment and Quatermass 2.
For all intents and purposes though it is a Quatermas movie in all but name and once you have seen it along with the Donlevy versions then the similarities speak for themselves.
Old 25th September 2011, 09:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
I had that late 70s Quatermass series and it was brilliant. Wish I still did.

Campaign starts here...
Well with all these reissues, now would be a good time for s rerelease while 'Quatermass fever' grips the nation.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:10 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs;184190[B
Directed by George Roy Baker. Written by T.E.B. Clarke. Starring Andrew Keir, Julian Glover, Barbara Shelley[/B]
Who writes this stuff? It's directed by Roy Ward Baker and the screenplay was by Nigel Kneale.

They even state Roy's proper name later on in the blurb. Does anyone at these DVD distributors bother to proof-read this stuff and check their facts?

That aside, looks like a great release, and this will be mine soon enough.
Old 26th September 2011, 02:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

Awful cover for the new Quatermass and the Pit DVD/BD combo.
Old 26th September 2011, 04:07 AM
Cult Rookie

I personally think it's a nice cover. Subtle, green (my favourite colour) and most of all a poster i'd be more than happy to hang on my wall.

Olly Moss...must Google Olly Moss...

Pottermore: SkyDragon113

Like this? Share it using the links below!