Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST BLIND DEAD?
Poll Options
BEST BLIND DEAD?

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2012, 09:26 PM
Cultist

Default In Praise of the Blind Dead

My first exposure to the Blind Dead was on Elvira's show back in the 80s. Remember thinking how cool the slo-mo shots looked of the Templars riding across the plain looked. It wasn't until many years later that I "rediscovered" the series when it was released on dvd.

Personally, I think the series really holds up really well over time, more than any other zombie films, Romero's included. Credit for which I believe is due in no small part to de Ossorio terrific use of color and atmosphere, especially on the Ghost Galleon where I think he did an outstanding job creating what I maintain was the "creakiest" sounding film ever made.

So any fans of the series here?

Old 29th August 2012, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've never seen any of these, something that I really must rectify seeing as I've wanted to see them for over 20 years
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th August 2012, 09:32 PM
Cultist

The first film feels especially Bava-esque to me. The final film in the series is a rather loose adaptation of HPL's The Shadow Over Innsmouth.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I know the first two films of the series, and I love both of them. The first one's a masterpiece and one of the finest Horror movies ever made - so eerie!

I own the Blue Underground coffin, but I doubt I'll ever watch Ghost Galleon or Night of the Sea Gulls.

Greetings!
Old 29th August 2012, 10:01 PM
Cultist

They're, both of them, excellent films. Very underrated , imo.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
They're, both of them, excellent films. Very underrated , imo.
I'm pretty sure that's true, but I don't watch any movies at the moment. That's what I meant, but it's not your fault to misinterpret my sentence. Sorry, pal.

Greetings!
Old 29th August 2012, 10:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've heard a lot about the films but have never watched any of them.I think the first two are generally regarded as the best.I remember ABUK released them onto DVD some years back; Tombs received several seconds of BBFC cuts to a rape scene.
Old 29th August 2012, 11:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I'm pretty sure that's true, but I don't watch any movies at the moment.
I'm shocked and appalled. I'm going to send the Film Police round your place to sort you out, young man!
Old 30th August 2012, 12:01 AM
Cultist

I've really grown to like the third film, The Ghost Galleon, a lot. Most people tend to regard it as the weakest of the four films, but I think still think it's pretty underrated. In fact, I'd rank it right up there with The Legend of Hell House in terms of sheer atmospherics.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One of the most iconic images for me is the sight of them charging down on their steeds v e r y s l o w l y.
Even though the sequels have their demerits, I still love them, like bony comfort blankets really......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!