Like Tree550Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2012, 02:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Am watching 'Moonraker' on DVD. Seen it many times before, but surely this HAS to be the movie where Bond 'jumps-the-shark'

What is annoying about this film is the fact that the ones either side of it - 'The Spy Who Loved Me' and 'For Your Eyes Only' are amongst the best of the series
So after this and 4th Fella putting For Your Eyes Only above Goldfinger I thought I'd give it another chance just in case I'm missing something.

First of all, after the comedy that was Moonraker, I remember being really bored by FYEO when I saw it at the cinema so my expectations have always been low since.

I have to say, after watching it again last night, I just don't get the love for this film. One of the most wasted and thrown together pre-credits sequence where a faceless pastiche of the criminal genius Blofeld plays around with Bond in a remote-controlled chopper?? This is Blofeld, not Dr Evil, complete with corny fist thumping.

Then we have a sorry script entailing the hunt for a top secret code machine featuring a completely lacklustre villain, who perhaps if he'd actually spent more time getting on with the salvage job in hand instead of just trying to have everyone killed, would probably have succeeded In a matter of days. Cue regurgitation of OHMSS's skiing chases and a farcical attempt buy some hockey players to kill Bond.

Then of course we have a classless Bond himself, driving around in a 2CV, looking as unfit and aged as could be, dressed in some style-less baggy velvet zip-up sports jacket, asking for a glass of Ouzo at dinner. Never mind Heineken, here he sounds like he's going to get pissed up on some slammers.

Finally, one of the most ridiculous endings in Bond history. The whole Maggie sketch plays out like some awful Kenny Everett out-take.

Maybe for some people after the gross SFX extravaganza of Moonraker, going back to basics was a masterplan but you at least have to have a worthy plot, characters and half-decent script to go with it!

I'll now prepare for the backlash.

Oh, I forgot production values. Going from multi-million pound set designs to a scene of Bond and Melina in a carriage with close-ups so obviously shot against painted backgrounds is a step too far in the other direction, not to mention the continuity when they're talking in front of a snow covered mountainside full of trees only for a wider shot to show them in front of some buildings!

Last edited by the blob; 30th May 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 30th May 2012, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

For Your Eyes Only is easily the worst of Moore's films.
the blob likes this.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
For Your Eyes Only is easily the worst of Moore's films.

One of my favourite Bond title songs - Sheena Easton was great. Beautiful (yes, beautiful, not just cute!) Carole Bouquet. Fantastic performances of Chaim Topol and Julian Glover. Lots of action, both under and over water. Übersexy Lynn-Holly Johnson (the scene where she tries to seduce Bond in his hotel room is epic!). Citroen 2CV and Lotus Esprit Turbo in one film. Janet Brown as Maggie Thatcher. A great mixture of funny one-liners and great action.

One of my favourite Bond movies.

Greetings!
Old 30th May 2012, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I don't like any Bond film

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 30th May 2012, 09:04 PM
Cultist

I never used to like FYEO (heck, I never used to like any of the Moore films), but having not seen FYEO in a while, I was pleasantly pleased to find it a decent, if uneven Bond spy thriller. It can't quite decide whether it wants to be another TSWLM or something different for the 1980's.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I don't like any Bond film
Old 30th May 2012, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

One of my favourite Bond title songs - Sheena Easton was great. Beautiful (yes, beautiful, not just cute!) Carole Bouquet. Fantastic performances of Chaim Topol and Julian Glover. Lots of action, both under and over water. Übersexy Lynn-Holly Johnson (the scene where she tries to seduce Bond in his hotel room is epic!). Citroen 2CV and Lotus Esprit Turbo in one film. Janet Brown as Maggie Thatcher. A great mixture of funny one-liners and great action.

One of my favourite Bond movies.

Greetings!
So basically it has a few chicks in it that you like and a clapped out yellow car, therefore its a good film.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:27 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm washing my eyes out with Goldfinger.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I'm washing my eyes out with Goldfinger.
Is he washing his eyes out too?

Oh right, you're not actually with Goldfinger...

(I was just going to warn you to hide the gold paint and beware of mean looking Japanese men)
antmumford likes this.
Old 31st May 2012, 08:29 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'll post my private James Bond movie ranking later today.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!