All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2009, 01:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

let's hope someone else gets the rights.hate those fortnightly magazines with the dvds
Old 28th September 2009, 01:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
How long did the HKL magazine run for? Could be that the rights ran out once that was over
It came out every two weeks for about 6 months or something.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 28th September 2009, 01:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Is it me or do these mag/DVD combo publications never seem to last more than a few weeks at best?
And the HKL variety appears to have been no different as far as i can tell.
Old 28th September 2009, 01:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Account to Wikipedia:

Beginning in September 2005, in co-operation with magazine / partwork publisher De Agostini, a selection of the better-known Hong Kong Legends titles were released along with a fortnightly magazine giving facts and backgrounds on the featured film. The titles released included Fist of Fury, Drunken Master, Once Upon a Time in China, The Killer. The series continued for 45 issues.

Looks like it went on for awhile! lol

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 29th September 2009, 11:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Longer than i ever thought it did and i've came across quite a few of these DeAgostini HKL DVDs at secondhand shops and flea markets. Personally i prefer to stick with the real thing and not the newsagent friendly variety.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:04 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I completely agree with you SD.I was having a look on ebay yesterday to see if i could get hold of some of the HKL releses I didn't have and all I could see were the DeAgostini.No offence to the company but the covers even looked cheap,all just a picture of the actor starring in the movies.Did these releases even have any of the extras on the original HKL dvds?
Old 29th September 2009, 11:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
the covers even looked cheap,all just a picture of the actor starring in the movies.Did these releases even have any of the extras on the original HKL dvds?
Yeah, those covers were eye-catching for all the wrong reasons and sloppy sleeves like that would actually detract me rather than attract me!

I'm assuming DeAgostini's DVDs were probably devoid of any of the extras found on the original HKL releases.

I know HMV in Gateshead's Metro Centre have a few HKL titles 'reduced' (they had The Black Sheep Affair for £10 among others yesterday!) but i've already got 'em so if there's any DVD in particular you're after then let me know as HMV may have it on the shelves and i've noticed nobody seems to be touching the HKL editions i've seen 'down in price'.

I also saw The Avenging Fist, Duel To The Death and Hapkido in the sales section and Newcastle's branch of HMV do the Platinum edition of The Big Boss for £7. A bargain price for this latter release imo.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:26 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm still on the lookout for a copy of the Iron Monkley platinum edition but I think it's extremely hard to come by ( like all the HKL dvds).Found one on ebay the other day but I was out bid in the last minute.I'll keep on looking.Seen copies on amazon for 30 quid but I dont want it THAT much lol
Old 29th September 2009, 11:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

I'll keep a lookout in my area as i'll be visiting both the city and Metro centres sometime this week.
You never know.

Iron Monkey is pure class and one of the very few '90s 'wire-fu' efforts i can get away with as i think filmmakers soon went overboard with it. I'm much more of an old school kung fu fan and prefer the '70s and '80s martial arts epics.

I'm also going to try to transfer some of my old MIHK, VPD and pre-cert VHS tapes to DVD as i have a combo VHS/DVD recorder which i'm experimenting with. If i'm successful i'll be dispensing with the cassettes in question as i'm sick of the sight of 'em!

I managed to transfer my old MIA Just Heroes VHS to DVD last night and where's this enjoyable John Woo actioner on DVD? I thought HKL might've been interested in issuing this title when they were still in operation.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cex often have HK Lenegends dvd's. If anyone is after any i'll have look and see if they have them.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!