Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2010, 01:30 PM
Active Cultist

Has this box set gone out-of-print now? As it's becoming increasingly difficult to find online, most places have sold out. I have been putting off buying it for a while, waiting for a price drop which never seemed to happen, so if it has gone out-of-print I'll pick one up while I still can.
Old 31st January 2010, 01:38 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I got mine off amazon market place yesterday for £35.
Old 31st January 2010, 02:07 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Seems to be about the cheapest place to get it now.HMV have it for £49.99 and Play are only selling it through third parties from between £50 and £70.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:48 AM

I received my copy of this in the post today and am extremely impressed. Someone has obviously put a lot of thought and effort into the packaging it looks fantastic. I've chosen to use the reverse cover art that has the original Japanese designs and they look great.

I just finished watching Sword of Vengeance and the difference in quality between my old copy and this new transfer is like night and day. It really goes to show how much of a disservice can be done to a film with a bad quality version. I can actually see what is happening in the night scenes now and I particularly liked the ninjas who sneak in under cover of darkness with their noise hidden by a tolling bell. I only watched this on my computer monitor and it still looked fantastic. I'll be watching Baby Cart at the River Styx (my personal favourite) tonight on the big screen and I'm sure it'll blow me away.

If you are a fan of Japanese Samurai films I really don't think there is a better set out there.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:28 PM

Last night I watched Baby Cart at the River Styx, the second in the Lone Wolf and Cub films from the new Eureka boxset. There so much going on in this film. It chronicals Ogami Itto and his sons Diagaro in their stuggle against the evil Yagyu clan who killed his wife. Lone Wolf has to fight off would be assains as well as take on an assasination job from another clan.

The thing that makes this my favourite in the serise are the villians. I love The Gods of Death (previous versions have subtitled this as The Brothers of Death). Three expert warriors who wear large straw hats and are extrmely brutal in thier fighting stlye who Lone Wolf must dispatch in order to complete his mission. The final desert sence is particuarly spectacular espcially in this new remaster form. If you have seen Big Trouble in Little China John Carpenter basically ripped of the Gods of Death with his charater Thunder, Rain and Lightening. The female members of the Yagyu are also extremely interesting the way in which they show off their skills by dispatching a highly trained ninja is extremely unsettling.

This is japanese cinema at its best fantastic cinematography, music, editing, some great perfomances and plenty of samurai blood spraying from various wounds. Highly recommended.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Last night I watched Baby Cart at the River Styx, the second in the Lone Wolf and Cub films from the new Eureka boxset. There so much going on in this film. It chronicals Ogami Itto and his sons Diagaro in their stuggle against the evil Yagyu clan who killed his wife. Lone Wolf has to fight off would be assains as well as take on an assasination job from another clan.

The thing that makes this my favourite in the serise are the villians. I love The Gods of Death (previous versions have subtitled this as The Brothers of Death). Three expert warriors who wear large straw hats and are extrmely brutal in thier fighting stlye who Lone Wolf must dispatch in order to complete his mission. The final desert sence is particuarly spectacular espcially in this new remaster form. If you have seen Big Trouble in Little China John Carpenter basically ripped of the Gods of Death with his charater Thunder, Rain and Lightening. The female members of the Yagyu are also extremely interesting the way in which they show off their skills by dispatching a highly trained ninja is extremely unsettling.

This is japanese cinema at its best fantastic cinematography, music, editing, some great perfomances and plenty of samurai blood spraying from various wounds. Highly recommended.

This is the only Lone Wolf And Cub film I have now...I should get around to getting the rest, I suppose! What was the final conclusion on the UK box set? Is it all uncut?
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:24 PM

There's a whole thread on this set, according to the first post by loops they are all uncut but I'm not sure how you would verify that.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/show...ight=lone+wolf

Im my optinon this is the best these have ever looked the version that came before looked extremely poor, pretty much unwatchable in dark scenes. If you like Lone Wolf the Eureka box is essential. The artwork is fantastic too.

Last edited by BioZombie; 3rd February 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:39 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
What was the final conclusion on the UK box set? Is it all uncut?
According to various sources who've seen the films the prints are indeed uncut (the previous releases of Baby Cart To Hades and Sword Of Vengeance were cut). There's no official BBFC confirmation as yet though sometimes they take quite a while to appear on their website.

I'll give it a little while longer and then contact them to check for definite.
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:00 PM
Active Cultist

Fully uncut according to the back of the box...
Old 4th February 2010, 10:23 AM

I continued the Lone Wolf and Cub series with Baby Cart To Hades. The majority of this film is not as action packed as the second instalment Baby Cart At The River Styx. It slows down and takes time to have a more complex plot, I think I'll need to watch it again to work out what happens with all the double crossings and betrayals as I find subtitled film a little hard to follow sometimes (I think its cause I cant remember who’s who).

What isn't complicated though is the final fight. Ogami Itto and his son Diagaro face a small army, I guess about 70-80 men some armed with bows and muskets and some on horseback. It's a fantastic sequence and you can easily see how this may have inspired things like Kill Bill or Samurai Jack (if you've not seen it I cant recommend this cartoon enough).

Overall I really enjoyed this film, next stop Baby Cart In Peril

Like this? Share it using the links below!