Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default The Punisher (1989)

One movie that I'd like to see get a proper release is the cheesy late 80s Actioner, The Punisher. I remember waaaay back in 1989 owning a rough VHS pirate copy of the uncut version. Despite it's faults I still like it. Right or wrong it was a product of it's time. Derek Dreith gave it some gusto with a rousing score that helped elevate it.
Dolph mumbled his way through some pretty awful dialogue, and even Lou Gosset Jnr overacted a bit but the action sequences were cool. Just one major question arose; "Where was the frickin skull?"

That irritated the fook out of me when I watched it.

So far, only a Region One DVD exists as far as I know;

Old 22nd June 2010, 11:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Back in the day i used to like this first silver screen stab at Marvel's veteran vigilante but don't really go for it now.
Imo The Punisher ('89) hasn't aged well at all bar a select few violent scenes that still remain half-decent. There's a nice exchange of dialogue in an elevator later in the film between bad guy gangster Franco and the former Frank Castle. The mobster tells the crime fighter "There's a limit to revenge." and The Punisher replies "Yes, i know. I guess i haven't reached mine yet!".

I thought the 2004 update of Marvel's crime-cutting crusader had it's moments too but still lacked that certain something.
Imo the only time Hollywood got the formula right was in The Punisher:War Zone. It's just a shame this last entry bombed at the box office. Personally, i thought the movie was a great effort and a nice return to old school violent action cinema.

Last edited by Splatterdragon73; 23rd June 2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:33 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm a fan of all three entries and own then all on DVD. I actually have a lot of love for the Thomas Jane entry - I think this contained the right amount of OTT violence and some decent characterisation. War Zone was all out carnage and nothing else, but I did enjoy the hammy overacting of Domic West and Looney Bin Jim!

Thomas Jane still gets my vote for best Punisher though!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

"Welcome Back, Frank" the graphic novel that inspired The Punisher (The Thomas Jane version) is superb. I liked the 2004 version as it attempted to give Castle some humanity, because basically the guy is just a killing machine. It works within the book but is hard to make interesting on screen. There's a lot more right than wrong with it. I had to laugh at the casting of Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, a truly stunning looking woman playing the mousey Joan from the graphic novel.

Punisher War Zone was entertaining for very different reasons. I liked Ray Stevenson in both Rome and Outpost so was receptive to him playing a different Punisher. I liked that the film was set in New York and the official Marvel origin was restored. The 2004 location of Miami meant that the Punisher could have been any revenge action flick, I always associate Punisher/Daredevil/Spider-Man with New York.

War Zone was far more violent and came across as an adaptation of the 2004 Video Game. This wasn't a bad thing. The supporting cast in the shape of Doug Hutchison and Dominic West added to the movie. Seeing Julie Benz again wasn't a trial. Also I liked the fact they used Micro Man too. Pity there wasn't a high-tech Battle Van. For the record my favourite era of the comic book was 1987-1990.

I have the movie on Blu-Ray and need to give it another watch.
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I also liked the brawl between Castle and The Russian in the 2004 version; the comic book came alive during that sequence!

Also Ben Foster is a great little actor and was a great addition to the cast.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
I also liked the brawl between Castle and The Russian in the 2004 version; the comic book came alive during that sequence!

Also Ben Foster is a great little actor and was a great addition to the cast.
Yeah, I agree on both accounts. Thomas Jane got some great expressions filmed during that sequence. The cookery counterpoint was a bit silly but it worked to some degree.
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Agreed matey, it was a bit cringe-worthy but I still chuckle!

It was also a refreshing kick-back to the late 80's, early 90's style of action. Very little CGI, big explosions, unlimited ammo and even a car chase! The massacre at beginning of the film was also well done, especially the stunt at the end of that sequence that see's some brave, or dumb, stuntman getting set on fire then blown into a lake - awesome!!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Agree I really enjoyed the 80's flick, would be good to see some decent releases of the older Marvel releases e.g. Spiderman live action TV series from the 70's, The Flash TV show, Nick Fury with the Hoff and I'd love for the cheap Fantastic Four movie to see the light! Saw a pirate of it years ago and it was cringeworthy!

Quite enjoyed the recent Punisher film, wished Jigsaw was done better though!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 23rd June 2010, 06:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Been meaning to pick up the R1 release of The Flash for a while now.
Old 24th June 2010, 08:57 AM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post

So far, only a Region One DVD exists as far as I know;

I'm pretty sure there is an uncut German release.

Like this? Share it using the links below!