All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2009, 01:01 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Is there any chance of getting the commentaries for the Argento and extended cuts? or would that be a bit too costly?
Old 28th July 2009, 03:10 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I don't think more commentaries will be licensed. One of the issues that has an effect is that obviously Arrow could keep hoovering up and paying for more and more extras (and they now are by getting the hi-def version of the Argento cut and so on). What should then happen is you charge accordingly - fan gets the product, Arrow make some moolah - all are happy. The complicating factor is that retailers can turn round and say you can't sell at that price and knock it right down so you're looking at a loss for potentially a year or more - sometimes for good! So it's a balancing act. My take was films first - that's why we're getting all three and two in hi-def - that's where the readies are going!
Old 28th July 2009, 03:58 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's fair.Tbh I would just be happy with the 3 cuts of the film even with no extras,already having the ultimate dvd set,the Argento cut on dvd and the theatrical cut on blu-ray.So at the end of the day I can't complain
Old 28th July 2009, 11:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think any revisit for this title has been talked about on DVD - I guess the assumption would be that no one will want to buy it again on DVD - or is that wrong?

i can see that it might not be cost effective under the circumstances, but regardless of cost issues, i would guess there would be a fair amount of demand for it - its very unusual in having 3 very distinct versions, and adding the name of argento, and also the Goblin content would create some extra attention. it seems the US 'ultimate edition' has done well, and it looks hard to get it here for under £30 considering customs fees.

having said that, my opinion doesn't count for much since because of this i've not even been able to see the alternative cuts anyway!
Old 29th July 2009, 08:31 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well I'm going to raise the question about a DVD release so we can either put it to bed or not. Good point about importing the US edition.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:12 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
If the DVD is packaged along the lines of Caligula (multiple-disc set with extras) then it would be great.
I'm something of a Dawn completist (like a few more here methinks!) so i would still be interested in buying a multi-disc edition if it ever reached DVD availability. That's on top of the Blu-Ray version i'm already looking forward to.

There's been several Romero zombie trilogy DVD box sets issued over here at one time or another but so far the only truly great versions of Dawn have been the U.S. ultimate edition and the Italian 5 disc set. The U.K. DVD market has never been graced with a release of Romero's mall-based gorefest featuring all three edits of the film. It's always been either the theatrical release or the extended print and depending upon which company has been behind said DVD the results haven't always lived up to expectations.

Arrow's earlier issue of Dawn was pretty decent and i've still got copies of it. For those who don't import their titles this U.K. DVD isn't a bad option and is still obtainable. Personally, i have no qualms in splashing out on any potential Arrow Dawn DVD box set as long as it features what has been previously quoted.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:52 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure how many people have Blu-ray players and HD screens so there may be a sizeable market for those who are happy with DVD, don't want to upgrade to Blu-ray yet and don't import. In which case, there is an argument for a dual release on Blu-ray and DVD.

There is also the argument for including one of the alternate cuts, probably Argento's, in the package on DVD as most households only have one Blu-rau player which means that the set will be futureproof, working in the main viewing area and in bedrooms. Disney have done this with Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio and Eureka released Bad Boy Bubby with a BD, a DVD and a Digital Copy - would that be something to consider?
Old 2nd August 2009, 04:46 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Multiple versions on different formats do sound like they're worth considering but I suspect for this release it's getting too late to start making too many more changes but by the time Arrow get to doing Day OTD next year we'll have been able to absorb more feedback on what's best to do.
Old 3rd August 2009, 07:41 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

DOTD as well!? To quote the Ferro Roche advert: 'You're really spoiling us!'
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:50 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Where there is Dawn there must follow day...

Yes the original plan was to release both at the same time but Arrow have pushed Day back to next year to put maximum effort into Dawn and therefore also give focused attention on getting Day just so!

Like this? Share it using the links below!