All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2010, 07:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The BBFC do have a role to play when it comes to public exhibition, as they are legally bound to remove scenes of animal cruelty when it comes to a film for public exhibition, but not something to be watched in the privacy of your own home.

They need to follow the law, not make policies that suit them just for the sake of consistency. DVDs and BDs should be classified, not cut.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I take your point, vince. But NYR was also their first release with all the publicity that goes with it. Maybe that was a factor too. How many more copies would they have sold if it had been uncut?
Venus In Furs was also heavily cut and that was released much farther down the line.

Ok I'm being pedantic now, so here's a picture of a llama instead.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:33 PM
Cultist in Training

While I hate censorship - and therefore certainly consider it a shame that Inferno will be cut - I'll most likely buy it anyway. It'll be my first time seeing the film so I shouldn't find the cut jarring. Plus, it's only seven seconds.

Deep Red's DVD only? Guess I won't be buying it then. I'm hoping Tenebrae will be released on Blu-ray.

By the way, all three cover panels for Inferno are brilliant, especially Panel 2.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Arrow should "accidentally" release it uncut like they have done in the past

Or how about sending it to Weta to add a CGI mouse instead?

I don't think emailing the BBFC will do much good. They have good arguments in the current policy to fall back on. The mouse was there purposefully to be killed. They have to weigh the displeasure of cult movie enthusiasts against the probable outcry from animal welfare organisations which is a far greater political risk. Also it would potentially set a precedent, opening a can of worms that would allow more unscrupulous or extreme modern film-makers to contest the use of animal cruelty. The BBFC can't take retrospect into account on that point alone.

The policy needs revision to a position that allows retrospective films grace, like treating them as antique works of art. Something that safeguards animals from here on by setting a cut-off date and imposing an all-out ban from that date to discourage modern film-makers and satisfy the animal welfare groups to a degree. Something similar in concept to the Ivory trade ban which still allows the sale of antiques before a certain date, although that's a much bigger issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally pissed off by the cut but I can see why it's been made at the moment in the UK because it's one of the countries where video classification is compulsory and legally binding, not just a recommendation. Personally, i find the cut to New York Ripper perhaps more senseless. Seeing a razor blade slice through a fake nipple doesn't make me or any sane person want to go out and do the same. It's just make-up!

As a turn-around I'll probably buy Inferno and I'll still enjoy it but I have to admit, it will be more to support Arrow continuing their excellent work, and of course the extras! i'm sure there'll be a lot of us running to the first good quality uncut BD version when it appears too.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
the probable outcry from animal welfare organisations
No animal welfare organisation cares. As long as vivisection exists (and the current government threatens to repeal the hunting act) they have their hands full with actual, you know, purposeful and relevant work. Pressure groups such as the BUAV are run by intelligent people living in the real world.

Which, judging by this cut, the BBFC, by contrast, are not.
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Plus, it's only seven seconds.
Five seconds!
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Thanks Springjack! That's one cool image - I think the menus are pretty much wrapped up but I'm going to ask!
Thank you... Feel free to use it if that´s the case.
Old 25th May 2010, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
IS THIS REAL???

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1.../Product.html#

I don´t know if this is from Arrow...
Can we try and make a seperate thread for this mate? It doesn't really belong in the Arrow section and it's been posted on two threads now.

Almar?
Old 25th May 2010, 08:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
No animal welfare organisation cares. As long as vivisection exists (and the current government threatens to repeal the hunting act) they have their hands full with actual, you know, purposeful and relevant work. Pressure groups such as the BUAV are run by intelligent people living in the real world.

Which, judging by this cut, the BBFC, by contrast, are not.
You're dead right but the BBFC still has to cover their arses with respect to their policy. Like I said, the only way out really is to change the policy to a more central position and to probably change the Cinematic Films Act to not count retrospective content.
Old 25th May 2010, 08:12 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
And sold exclusively to forum members. I'm sure Arrow could 'accidentally' slip some uncut Blu-ray's to us loyal Cult Labs members.
Seriously. I just registered to comment on this. I'm not surprised that the cut is mandated, but it's still very disappointing. Is there any possible chance of an "export" edition without the BBFC censorship? Also, since I'm in the US and not completely aware of their policies, does the scene in question have to be physically removed or could you get away with optically censoring it? I would prefer it not to be tampered with at all obviously, but a digital blur would be much better than a nasty jump cut in my opinion.

At any rate, this is my most wanted title on blu ray and I'm grateful that this company will be releasing it.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!