All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2010, 05:30 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Look this cut is all levels of ass (and utterly backwards) but let's be fair here:

You're missing five seconds of a flipping cat eating a mouse. Inferno can live without it and, in the long and short of things, I could care less.

I still cannot wait for the blu ray edition.

However, the BBFC need to get a freaking perspective: if they'd like to come visit my mum's they'll see what her cat does to birds, mice and voles. If someone films their pet python eating a mouse does this mean they are contravening the law?

Utterly stupid. This is honestly the dumbest cut I have ever come across. Ever.
Your right it's stupid , it's different if it's a cock fight or a Snake V Mongoose or something but this is a cat eating a ****ing mouse! It's what cat's do.

People who own snakes feed them live mice, some shops sell them solely for that reason, if someone was feeding their snake in a film would the BBFC cut it?

Bunch of ***** the BBFC. You see worse stuff on David Attenborough programmes.

I really do want to buy this but it's a principle thing with me, it would annoy me knowing I had a censored version, I know, I know, I've got a load of films with cuts but if it's worldwide cuts there is nothing you can do about it but when you can get uncut ones from elsewhere it's a different ball game entirely.

I will continue to give Arrow my full support for films the BBFC haven't tampered with though.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'll tell you what's unfuriating me the most - it's the fact the UK is receiving some great premieres on Blu-ray and the BBFC are determined to **** it all up. I've read that the original I Spit On Your Grave has been re-submutted and a Blu-ray is pending - but the BBFC will once again hack it to pieces rendering it a worthless purchase. These films are a chance for UK companies to get ahead in the global market but they're hamstrung repeatedly by the BBFC.

Yes, the BBFC have come a long way. But not far enough, if you ask me.
In my opinion there's no need to cut I Spit on Your Grave. However, I reckon they will take the scissors to it.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

And how does the 5 seconds impact the film anyway? What possible depth of story is removed? Was the meaning of the film hidden within the mouse being eaten by the cat? Do these 5 seconds render the film un-watchable? No, not at all.

I'm thankful that the film is seeing the light of day on British shores once again! The last time the film was given any play was on the Sci-fi chanel years and years ago!!

Which was actually uncut, but shhhhhh!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 25th May 2010, 05:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
I will continue to give Arrow my full support for films the BBFC haven't tampered with though.
Yup, but the problem is that if you boycott some releases from nichie companies others might not be forthcoming. Inferno is still, I reckon, the best package of this classic ever seen - five seconds of missing mammal munching or not!
Old 25th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I've emailed the BBFC expressing my disdain and asking how they can justify it.
I'm going to do the same and it will be interesting if they respond and, if so, what their rationale is.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:37 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
I never noticed the (brief) cuts to tripping horses in The Good, The Bad and the Weird (totalling five seconds) - and nor did I, or do I, want a foreign Blu of it just for these five seconds.
I actually bought imports of this, Three Kingdoms, Empress and the Warriors and Curse of the golden flower for this reason, your right it may not affect the film but like I said already it's principle with me.

Some things look terrible with some horse falls missing, Conan the barbarian and
The Long Riders come to mind (as does a Burt Lancaster western but I can't remember the title)

The only thing I didn't mind being BBFC'd was the Swedish erotica dvd, only because it was noncey scenes though.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Whilst I sympathise, I think the cat-mouse can be removed without any effect to the film whatsoever. I'm not defending the cut (obviously) but I never noticed the (brief) cuts to tripping horses in The Good, The Bad and the Weird (totalling five seconds) - and nor did I, or do I, want a foreign Blu of it just for these five seconds.

Honestly, Inferno-wise - I doubt this minor cut will bother anyone unless they really want to be bothered by it.

Just my two cents though.
I agree with that. Unfortunately there'll be some that don't. I'll still be picking it up, can't resist this in HD. Personally, I probably wouldn't have noticed the cut, but now I will.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I am absolutely gutted at this news about Inferno - expected though it was.

I am glad less of it is cut then before, but I am still furious at this. Where Arrow have won though is in the Blu-Ray release. I will still buy this. If the plan was for Arrow to release a DVD only I would not have entertained buying a copy.

The novelty of HD still just outweighs the loss of footage.

Anyway, now I know what the score is, I can definitely buy the BU DVD. I was holding out for the BBFC judgment.

Right, I have a harsh email to write...
Old 25th May 2010, 05:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Personally I wouldn't recommend that Arrow bothers with an appeal. There would be no point whatsoever and it would just be a waste of their money.
Indeed Vince. Nothing would change. The cut was hardly a surprise.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
In my opinion there's no need to cut I Spit on Your Grave. However, I reckon they will take the scissors to it.
So do I. It's an unpleasant film and probably one I'll never watch again - I got the message, don't really need to endure it again. But does that justify cutting it? I don't think so. When are we going to be treated like responsible adults in this country?? I appreciate the necessity of a ratings board, but that's all that's needed. Like I say, who screens novels before they're published to make sure the content is acceptable? No-one. And anyone can read a book, at any age - and I've read some pretty graphic and unsavoury stuff that is accessible to anyone with a library card. The BBFC are just fighting an impossible battle and making ridiculous cuts renders them even more of a dinosaur; a relic of a bygone age that isn't needed anymore. They need to get some perspective, if nothing else, as Calum rightly pointed out.

Why is it that consumers can't appeal against a BBFC ruling if they think they've censored when they shouldn't? As a consumer, haven't I the right to appeal against goods that have been tampered with? If I was sold a book with a couple of pages missing, it'd be classed as faulty goods....

Like this? Share it using the links below!