Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2010, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
I dig the animation, btw. It did get a bit lengthy for the one doc I watched some of, but otherwise I like it. One thing I noticed is the jumpiness of the animation movement -- it goes for a few seconds then starts going again (I figure it's due to the processing of the software used?).

Oh, and Calum, perhaps there's something that can be done about the quality of the footage of films used in the docs you produce? I've noticed a heavy drop in quality of the features' footage, just about YouTube quality. I don't know if it's intential or not, or something due to converting it to a usable format for when the docs are made, but perhaps it can be changed/improved? This is a positive criticism, too -- I like what High Rising has been doing and want to encourage more work.
We use the old DVD releases for the footage - so on Inferno it was the old Anchor Bay release.

It obviously has to be rendered from DVD onto a harddrive and then onto the actual Blu Ray, by which time it might just be an inevitable factor that the quality drops a bit in the process.

I don't mind positive criticism - but considering how few of us are now doing DVD extra features I take pride in the fact ours "flow", have opening credits and a decent length. How often do you see stuff that is either raw footage or chucked out quick-like with an 8 minute running time? In just one year we've built up quite a good CV and I like to think it is because DVD companies see that when they use us they get something that has real work and effort put it into it.

Believe me, Naomi often puts in all-nighters doing this stuff (including last night on The Beyond which is due in on Weds and has a shed load of stuff on it because we want to see an edition that at least holds up to the excellent Grindhouse release) and that is because of a real love for these films.

Last edited by Calum; 5th October 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 5th October 2010, 07:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Sale

Just went through the extras. Love the Daria Nicolodi interview (especially her take on La Terza Madre, which was spot on). The Argento interviews are informative but ultimately stay very much on the surface and it's been 30 years since he's made it, I guess I expected a bit more from him.

Is it me or do you also get the vibe that Argento wasn't that involved with directing this movie but more so with the pre- and post-production? The American actress said at the Q&A she never even saw him on set and the reports of him handing out notes to the film crew from his hospital room... I wonder, did Bava or someone else ghost direct a lot of this movie? It might explain the lack of inventive camera moves and angles as opposed to Suspiria. The quality of direction from scene to scene is very uneven IMO.

Anyway, loved the Q&A (although that Bava expert didn't know when to quit) and enjoyed the Naomi animation (except for the lettertype font floating by, that did look cheap guys). Anyway, appreciate the effort that went into this and definitely worth the upgrade!
Old 5th October 2010, 07:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love what High Rising are doing for the UK home entertainment scene. It's been a long time since we had a company with this much enthusiasm for the product; hell, the last company up and left to America!

Granted, not everyone will enjoy everything they do - that's the nature of the beast, but there's no denying the love that goes into everything they do. I for one can't wait for the next release!

Keep up the awesome work guys, for Arrow and for any other label with the smarts of hiring ya!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 5th October 2010, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'll second that.
And Arrow to keep coming up with the fantastic titles.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:35 PM
Cultist

I can't wait for The Beyond

Any sneak peaks or info greatly appreciated Calum!

At least Arrow let us FF the animation if you really don't like it, unlike a lot of other companies that would lock out that option!

thexperiment podcasts
Old 5th October 2010, 08:36 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I don't expect the animation to be for everyone (not everybody can like the same thing after all) but Naomi spends days rendering and animating these. If you don't like them then fast-wind them but they are far from "cheap looking" - it's her style (which, again, won't be for everyone - every artist has their fans and critics), and it's kept her in work as an illustrator for years (Which she still works as when not grinding away for Arrow):

index.html

It also lets people know they're seeing one of our extra features. If we couldn't be arsed with these you'd get a blank screen and a title. The effort that goes into the title sequences, regardless of if you like them or not, shows there is work being spent on them.
I love the animations. Its part of what I do for a living and watching those animated intros were great to see. They were playful but stayed very true to the movie. Actually that's one of the aspects that impressed me the most about the this release.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:43 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I don't expect the animation to be for everyone (not everybody can like the same thing after all)
That's fair enough, I wasn't putting the release down though as I think it's great and I do dig the extras but the intros just don't do it for me.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Goods View Post
Anyway, loved the Q&A (although that Bava expert didn't know when to quit)...
Ouch! Dissing Tim Lucas, eh? Chances are we would not have so many Jess Franco and Mario Bava movies at our disposal without. And, heck, probably even more titles and artists than I can imagine. Yeah, he can go on sometimes but at least he knows what he's talking about (whereas others just pontificate to sound intelligent -- Tim really IS intelligent).
Old 5th October 2010, 11:22 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Finally got around to watching the Blu ray today, I must say it looks gorgeous, the extras are nice too. I have only one small gripe as concerning the extras, the intros on them I think are too long and could do without the cheap looking animation, that aside it's all fantastic!
I think the animation is lovely to be honest and adds something unique to these releases and I'm not just saying this because I worked on them. Naomi's style is very unique and I know art is subjective but to say it's cheap looking is perhaps a little over the top. A lot of work goes into these extras and sure nobody expects everyone to like every aspect but we try our very best on each title.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:54 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

I think it's best to keep feedback on arrow releases to ourselves then unless it's praise.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!