LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2011, 07:50 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
I believe it is Graeme Humphrey, or something similar.
It does appear to be him as there are YouTube videos of his posters and cover artwork that appears when you put his name in Google.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:36 AM
Ex-member
Good Trader

First time I saw it was when I was about 14 and hired out the old Palace release. The guy who ran the video shop used to let me hire out anything I wanted apart from the saucy stuff which let's face it wasn't work a wank anyway. (no pun intended)
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:51 AM
Active Cultist

i think it was about 12 years ago, i was around 16 years old, i'd been fascinated with argento since reading an article about the uncut suspiria in an early issue of deep red when i was a child, although i'd never actually seen any! anyway i discovered uncut anchor bay vhs' could be purchased from amazon, so i got my mate to order a whole bunch of stuff on his mums credit card for me, including the new york ripper, cannibal ferox, tenebrae, deep red, combat shock, city of the living dead, the beyond and phenomena. i spent the next couple of days watching them all non-stop, what can i say, i loved phenomena immidiately, particularly as jennifer connely was the first girl i ever had 'feelings' for (as a kid watching her in labyrinth, then as a young teenager seeing her in the hot spot) so it was doubly awesome! i loved the madness of it all, probably my favourite argento to this day, either that or tenebrae i think.
VERY exited to get this on bluray, god bless you arrow!
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:50 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
First time I saw it was when I was about 14 and hired out the old Palace release. The guy who ran the video shop used to let me hire out anything I wanted apart from the saucy stuff which let's face it wasn't work a wank anyway. (no pun intended)
Haha!

I used to have a video shop that was run by a guy who had a similar philosophy.
He was a real Cockney barrow-boy character. If you ever asked him what a film was like he'd reply with: "It's Facking wicked!" He was a nice bloke, actually. Nice as he was, he would have been nicked for renting 18s-rated films to my twelve year-old self, even back then in '87. Those were the days.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I first watched this a few months ago on the Horror Channel. I recorded it on the V+ box, got thoroughly engrossed, then right near the end (about 10 mins away I think) the recording stopped so I've yet to see the ending
Thank the lord for Arrow releasing it on Blu-ray as I'll get to see it all again in glorious HD and will finally get to see how it ends.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

along with most people here it seems, twas the Palace vhs aka Creepers (ive still got it, wheee harumph) that turned me onto this, though cant remember if i saw this at the same time as Tenebrae or before...funnily enough was the first dvd i ever bought....
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Drunk on a bottle of very very cheap French red wine....which may or may not of enhanced the experience........pretty sure it was the hacked Creepers VHS version too
Old 2nd February 2011, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Phenomena was my first experience of Dario Argento and italian cinema. I watched it with my dad one night cause he's always shown me the films he loves.
I remember being scared when the deformed kid turns around and jumping when Daria cuts of that guys head with a large piece of sheet metal, crazy!
Great film and will always be pretty special to me seems though it was my first film of Dario's, maybe not my favourite though.
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I first caught "Phenomena" as an uncut (as in "intenrational version") Dutch tape in the early 90's, little later rented out the (surprisingly only slightly) cut German rental vhs before owning the mentioned Palace release as "Creepers" for a while.
A laserdisc and 2 DVD releases followed, with neither of them doing the film fully justice- so I'm very keen on upgrading to the "Arrow" release.
While I don't think the first use of "Iron Maiden" in the flick is really working too well, I loved about everything else about it, the mood, music, locations and in particular Pleasence's and Connelly's performances.
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Haha!

I used to have a video shop that was run by a guy who had a similar philosophy.
He was a real Cockney barrow-boy character. If you ever asked him what a film was like he'd reply with: "It's Facking wicked!" He was a nice bloke, actually. Nice as he was, he would have been nicked for renting 18s-rated films to my twelve year-old self, even back then in '87. Those were the days.
Likewise-a right dodgy character ran our local emporium-anything for a quid-fifty rental!

Electric blue-you name it!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!