Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2011, 10:48 PM
Ex-member

How would scammers get the disc?
They won't have a receipt for the purchase.
Arrows best bet is for those without proof to send the faulty disc back.

Not got mine yet.
Please tell me the general picture and sound quality is better.
The B&W opening mistake was the least of the issues .
Old 15th April 2011, 08:21 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtom View Post
How would scammers get the disc?
They won't have a receipt for the purchase.
Arrows best bet is for those without proof to send the faulty disc back.
And how do you deal with those unwary contemporaries who just put every bill they get right into the wastebasket? Believe me, I know people who do that. Sorting those few honest but careless people out from real scumbags who want to cheat Arrow took some time, too, I think.

@ Sam Tyler: I think a combination of the arm nailing and the spider chewing would be fine for those lowlifes; and if that's not enough - well, it should be possible to find some zombie dog out there...

Quote:
Not got mine yet.
Please tell me the general picture and sound quality is better.
The B&W opening mistake was the least of the issues .
Sorry, but here I just have to interfere.
The picture quality may not be top-notch, but it is far from a quality to complain about - I would give it 8/10. In my eyes, that's about the maximum a low-budget picture from the 80s like "The Beyond" can get. If there's a qualitiy improvement on the BD50-Blu-ray - that'll be alright with me; BUT: I really don't expect any wonders here.
And talking about sound: please read my short review a few posts earlier. I really found the sound of the Blu-ray amazing (don't know about the DVD though - but I can't imagine a crappy sound mix there); maybe you're talking about the little out-of-sync issue? Well, I would call that bean counting.

No offense though; just my two cents.

Greetings!

PS: I will go through a lot of the bonus material of the release today - I'm really looking forward to it. :-)
Old 15th April 2011, 10:22 AM
Ex-member

The picture quality on The Beyond was disappointing to say the least and certainly not comparable to other Blurays I have .
As the faulty disc was only 7Gb for the movie it seems logical that the pictures will be better on the dual layer disc . If its not then why bother with a 50GB disc for a 7Gb movie.

The DTS track was dull
Old 15th April 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
The picture quality on The Beyond was disappointing to say the least and certainly not comparable to other Blurays I have .
As the faulty disc was only 7Gb for the movie it seems logical that the pictures will be better on the dual layer disc . If its not then why bother with a 50GB disc for a 7Gb movie.

The DTS track was dull
De gustibus non est disputandum. This nice sentence also protects strange views about picture and sound quality such as yours.

However, I think when it comes to your sound criticism the problem ist not a technical one of the disc but more one of the listener's ears - I have to admit, though, that it may be a matter of the reference unit chosen. Compared to some modern day blockbuster the sound may indeed be a little dated, but as an early 80s horror flick's sound it's absolutley great. Just stating that the DTS track was "dull" is not enough as a valid criticism - and I can't think of any clearness-, dynamic-, loudness- or whatever problem that could be brought up as an argument against the sound quality of Arrow's release.

Maybe - and like the whole comment it is only meant in a friendly spirit - it's just the case that you pitch your hopes too high. Most of the customer's are already happy about the definitive quality release that Arrow brought us here, despite those little itty bitty problems. In the meantime, you could buy a better version of the movie - if you can find one.

Greetings!
Old 15th April 2011, 11:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Well I for one was more than happy with THE BEYONDs PQ. It has never looked so good!! Personally I think Arrow's release of PHENOMENA remains their crowning achievement as far as picture clarity and detail go.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 15th April 2011, 11:49 AM
Cultist

had my email this morning and i just gotta thank Arrow for the quick reply and how well they are handling this
nekromantik likes this.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Well I for one was more than happy with THE BEYONDs PQ. It has never looked so good!! Personally I think Arrow's release of PHENOMENA remains their crowning achievement as far as picture clarity and detail go.
Does it really look that good? I do not own that movie as the trailer I saw was some kind of putting me off - together with the quite long duration of more than 110 minutes; I generally prefer movies to be fast paced (which does not mean action-filled; it just should not contain too many redundant dialogues or too lengthy single scenes). But I have to admit that I am still interested in the movie - as it seems to have some really spooky scenes and some slight hint of carnage, too. Could you recommend it to somebody loving "Deep Red" or is it totally different? (an answer per PM would be appreciated in order to prevent this thread becoming off-topic).

What I personally love about the picture quality of the release of "The Beyond" is the natural look - I want an 80s movie to be restored in the best possible way, but I still want it to look like an 80s movie. That's really well done in Arrow's release, I think.

Greetings!
Old 15th April 2011, 01:32 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Does it really look that good? I do not own that movie as the trailer I saw was some kind of putting me off - together with the quite long duration of more than 110 minutes; Greetings!
Do you go by the length of a film when you choose what to see? OMG!! You can always see the "Creepers" version it would probably fit you better!
Old 15th April 2011, 01:34 PM
Cultist

as someone whose first viewing of the beyond was the vipco disc i cant wait to watch the blu and i welcome anything arrow releases with open arms beacuse they blew me away with their dawn of the dead blu
Old 15th April 2011, 02:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Phenomena release is quite superb and the film is extremely enjoyable despite not being Argento's best. There are many things to like, particularly the soundtrack and Arrow have really given this the treatment it deserves. If you want a slightly longer review than that, check out the one on my website: Film 365.

Like this? Share it using the links below!