Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2011, 02:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
Do you go by the length of a film when you choose what to see? OMG!! You can always see the "Creepers" version it would probably fit you better!

Yeah, it sounded a little bit like "I don't like long movies". I should have stated that I prefer horror/scary/spooky/gore/giallo/... movies that don't run too many minutes.

However, there are movies that are quite lengthy yet loved by me: "A Bridge Too Far", "La Nuit de Varennes", "Grindhouse",... those movies need some more minutes and that's alright as they are fantastic nearly every second; speaking of horror movies, it would be "Dawn of the Dead" fitting into that category.

But in general I keep it with movies in the way I keep it with books - why having many minutes (pages), when it is more effective to cut it short?

As a good-paced horror flick I'd mention "Bay of Blood" or "Pieces" (and yes, I know, the last title is a nasty cheesy cheap movie - but nevertheless great).

So, as you might have guessed already - minutes is not the only thing that counts for me, but nevertheless it's one thing that I consider before/when/after watching a movie.

Greetings!

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Phenomena release is quite superb and the film is extremely enjoyable despite not being Argento's best. There are many things to like, particularly the soundtrack and Arrow have really given this the treatment it deserves. If you want a slightly longer review than that, check out the one on my website.
Thanks! I'll read it right away.
Old 15th April 2011, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Another DVD received in Portugal, thx!
Old 15th April 2011, 07:49 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum. This nice sentence also protects strange views about picture and sound quality such as yours.

However, I think when it comes to your sound criticism the problem ist not a technical one of the disc but more one of the listener's ears - I have to admit, though, that it may be a matter of the reference unit chosen. Compared to some modern day blockbuster the sound may indeed be a little dated, but as an early 80s horror flick's sound it's absolutley great. Just stating that the DTS track was "dull" is not enough as a valid criticism - and I can't think of any clearness-, dynamic-, loudness- or whatever problem that could be brought up as an argument against the sound quality of Arrow's release.

Maybe - and like the whole comment it is only meant in a friendly spirit - it's just the case that you pitch your hopes too high. Most of the customer's are already happy about the definitive quality release that Arrow brought us here, despite those little itty bitty problems. In the meantime, you could buy a better version of the movie - if you can find one.

Greetings!

If you think that 7Gb is enough to give acceptable quality on a Bluray you are very easily satisfied.
While some on here rate it as "fantastic quality" on other forums it has been described as near to VHS quality.
Slightly exagerratred I admit , but it goes to show that I'm not alone in being disapppointed.

If the replacement disc is the same I'll be reselling the set immediately and will wait for another release.

I emailed my receipt in on the day of release and I got an email later that day yet I've heard nothing since

I have several hundred Blurays and a good few are similar films to The Beyond - not least of which is Arrows COTLD- and the sound on The Beyond is the worst of any Bluray I have.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Does it really look that good? I do not own that movie as the trailer I saw was some kind of putting me off - together with the quite long duration of more than 110 minutes; I generally prefer movies to be fast paced (which does not mean action-filled; it just should not contain too many redundant dialogues or too lengthy single scenes). But I have to admit that I am still interested in the movie - as it seems to have some really spooky scenes and some slight hint of carnage, too. Could you recommend it to somebody loving "Deep Red" or is it totally different? (an answer per PM would be appreciated in order to prevent this thread becoming off-topic).

What I personally love about the picture quality of the release of "The Beyond" is the natural look - I want an 80s movie to be restored in the best possible way, but I still want it to look like an 80s movie. That's really well done in Arrow's release, I think.

Greetings!

Deep Red the original version or the edited one?

Never mind... the 110 minutes of Phenomena are more fast paced than half Deep Red... don´t get me wrong, I love Deep Red. It´s one of those movies that really gains for it´s pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobral View Post
Another DVD received in Portugal, thx!
Tava a ver que não havia tugas aqui.
Quer dizer que o meu tá quase a chegar...

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th April 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Merged: two posts in as many minutes
Old 15th April 2011, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Gotta admit, the PQ of the initial blu-ray was DVD level at best. I put it on for a few minutes and was surprised at how poor it looked (esp compared to other Arrow discs). I'm really hoping the replacement looks significantly better. If not...
Old 15th April 2011, 11:24 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Deep Red the original version or the edited one?

Never mind... the 110 minutes of Phenomena are more fast paced than half Deep Red... don´t get me wrong, I love Deep Red. It´s one of those movies that really gains for it´s pace.

I was watching the Italian cut of "Deep Red" - which means the longer version. I really liked that movie a lot - must be the creepy giallo fan inside of me. Frankly, I never understood why a promo trailer of that movie was on a Grindhouse trailer DVD I own.

But Nosferatu's review and your statement make me believe that Phenomena might be something I should check out - as "Inferno", a movie I also find very entertaining (I just say one word: colour!), runs about 106 minutes, I should make it through "Phenomena" easily.

Greetings!
Old 15th April 2011, 11:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I was watching the Italian cut of "Deep Red" - which means the longer version. I really liked that movie a lot - must be the creepy giallo fan inside of me. Frankly, I never understood why a promo trailer of that movie was on a Grindhouse trailer DVD I own.

But Nosferatu's review and your statement make me believe that Phenomena might be something I should check out - as "Inferno", a movie I also find very entertaining (I just say one word: colour!), runs about 106 minutes, I should make it through "Phenomena" easily.

Greetings!
And don´t forget Phenomena has a killer hard rock soundtrack fromm the 80´s mixed with some Simonetti and Wyman tunes...
Old 16th April 2011, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Frankly, I never understood why a promo trailer of that movie was on a Grindhouse trailer DVD I own
Probably because it was only played in Grindhouse theatres back in the day.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Probably because it was only played in Grindhouse theatres back in the day.
Yeah; what I meant was that you wouldn't associate such a stylish movie - having a twisted, funny and intelligent plot - with Grindhouse. When I think of Grindhouse, something like "Women in Cages" or "Pieces" would come to my mind.

Greetings!
trench likes this.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Aye, I know, funny to think that such intelligent, masterfully crafted films like this and others were only shown in grindhouse theatres alongside real trashy films.

Anyway, probably best to get back on topic, so...... The Beyond. Haven't bought it yet.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!