All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2012, 07:55 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioFulci View Post
Thanks for the memories and every amazing release you've given me in the past, Arrow Video, but it's goodnight from me...

Good night, don't let the bed bugs bite...

Greetings!
Old 31st January 2012, 11:18 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Good night, don't let the bed bugs bite...

Greetings!
OK, looking back, maybe that was a bit hasty. But to be fair, I was a little miffed at the news. I'd been looking forward to it for this long (yes, I'm sad, I get all worked up about a pretty cardboard box ), and now it's not gonna happen unless I upgrade to Blu-ray, something I just don't want to do.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Ignoring dual format releases, I don't see many companies putting effort into packaging when it comes to DVD anymore: Look at how many exclusive steelbook/slipcover BDs there are on Amazon, HMV, Play etc Vs. DVD equivalents.

The majority of collectors are hungry for the next biggest and better thing, so therefore move with the technology of the times. There is simply not enough of a market for deluxe packaged DVDs anymore.

If you're buying a release for collectability or pretty packaging nowadays, then Blu-ray is the way to go; if you're buying it purely for the film, then you have a choice depending on your set-up/preference/budget.

Thanks goodness for companies like Arrow and Shameless, I say. Even Arrowdrome (which is considered a budget range), has obviously had more care and effort put in to it as a range than the majority of new DVDs released nowadays.

The flip-side of the coin being, that for this excess and care comes smaller profits, and in these tough economic times something has to give somewhere along the line.
Nosferatu@Cult Labs and PaulD like this.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Ignoring dual format releases, I don't see many companies putting effort into packaging when it comes to DVD anymore: Look at how many exclusive steelbook/slipcover BDs there are on Amazon, HMV, Play etc Vs. DVD equivalents.

The majority of collectors are hungry for the next biggest and better thing, so therefore move with the technology of the times. There is simply not enough of a market for deluxe packaged DVDs anymore.

If you're buying a release for collectability or pretty packaging nowadays, then Blu-ray is the way to go; if you're buying it purely for the film, then you have a choice.

Thanks goodness for companies like Arrow and Shameless, I say. Even Arrowdrome (which is considered a budget range), has obviously had more care and effort put in to it as a range than the majority of new DVDs released nowadays.

The flip-side of the coin being, that for this excess and care comes smaller profits, and in these tough economic times something has to give somewhere along the line.
At least i can now wait till its reduced in price, as i do already have it on dvd, or not bother at all.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

If you're buying a release for collectability or pretty packaging nowadays, then Blu-ray is the way to go; if you're buying it purely for the film, then you have a choice depending on your set-up/preference/budget.

Just wanted to reiterate this by quoting it really. While the re-release of Arrow Video titles on Arrowdrome doesn't interest me, the re-release of previous Arrow Films dvds/new films does and in this sense it's such a great range. Being able to buy a film like The Cheerleaders and it's sequel with a reversible cover and a booklet for £5.99 is a very impressive feat and shows that, while the Arrow Video dvd releases may now be lacking compared to before the company still have a high regard for dvd and those who buy it through the Arrowdrome label
Culture Vulture likes this.
Old 31st January 2012, 01:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioFulci View Post
unless I upgrade to Blu-ray, something I just don't want to do.
Wait a minute, something you don't want to do? Don't you mean can't afford or not allowed or something?
I'm sorry but if you're into films then why wouldn't you want to see something in its best possible way?
Sorry but that comment confuses me to no end
Steel76 and Culture Vulture like this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 31st January 2012, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Wait a minute, something you don't want to do? Don't you mean can't afford or not allowed or something?
I'm sorry but if you're into films then why wouldn't you want to see something in its best possible way?
Sorry but that comment confuses me to no end
Exactly!

Thing is, DVD is beginning to fade away now, just like VHS did when DVD got the hold on the market. So unless he don´t wanna be stuck with a dead format and no new titles within a very near future, he HAVE to upgrade.

I just don´t understand why a movie lover would NOT want to upgrade.
Sure, if they have a LCD at about 32 inch and sit far away, they might not appreciate the boost in quality. But if they can´t notice the upgrade in resolution on a 40-46 inch and upwards, then they must be half blind

I can understand if he holds on to DVD if he still own a CRT though.
But you can get an 40 inch LCD very cheap today, compared to just two years ago.
Old 31st January 2012, 02:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Exactly!

Thing is, DVD is beginning to fade away now, just like VHS did when DVD got the hold on the market. So unless he don´t wanna be stuck with a dead format and no new titles within a very near future, he HAVE to upgrade.

I just don´t understand why a movie lover would NOT want to upgrade.
Sure, if they have a LCD at about 32 inch and sit far away, they might not appreciate the boost in quality. But if they can´t notice the upgrade in resolution on a 40-46 inch and upwards, then they must be half blind

I can understand if he holds on to DVD if he still own a CRT though.
But you can get an 40 inch LCD very cheap today, compared to just two years ago.
That just nonsense. DVD outsells Blu by 87% to 13% in the UK. If thats a dead format then what does that make Blu?

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blu-...es-2011-a.html
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 31st January 2012, 02:51 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I don't think dvd is fading away either. You'd be surprised how many people still aren't sure what blu-ray is, let alone have a player.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 31st January 2012, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Well, according to Hollywood, Digital Bits, etc. DVD sales have gone down for the last few years. While Blu-Ray is getting bigger and bigger.

Sure, DVD isn´t dead yet, and that´s not what I said either if you re-read my post. But if you can´t tell that it´s slowly being replaced, you gotta be living in a bubble

Over here in Sweden the format is growing very fast now, and I don´t know anyone around that havn´t upgraded to BD. Might be different in UK though.

This reminds me about the VHS vs. DVD thing a few years back, even back then some refused to upgrade to DVD, until 2003 when the companies suddenly stopped supporting the format and VHS died in one day, and people were more or less forced to upgrade

I´m not a DVD hater, still own a huge collection and still buy some rare stuff on the format.

Let´s continue this discussion in 5 years, maybe I was dead wrong, or DVD is hanging on to life support by then
Culture Vulture likes this.

Last edited by Steel76; 31st January 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!