Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2012, 07:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I can see that the Arrow transfer is better and the extra image at the edges is splendid. But from what I have seen so far, it doesn't look that much better than the BU version. It looks slightly better.

I do realise that screen captures can be misleading....but I actually like slightly more saturated colours. I like colours to jump out at me rather than look "natural" and "realistic". I can see natural and realistic everyday, I want a film to be something special!

And actually, when I hear that something has been mastered to look "more natural and realistic" it tends to just look pale and washed out compared to the real world I see!

I am intrigued to see this Arrow transfer...but not enough to buy it. Not yet. But then I bought the Grindhouse release of The Beyond because it ate away at me that a tiny few seconds were missing from the start of the AWE version I had...I don't mind fractions of a second being missing due to damaged frames or such, but I am afraid this 6 seconds missing from this establishing intro shot stops me buying it. Especially when weighed up against the almost-as-good image quality of the BU version I have all ready.

Other people have issues over grain and detail and artwork, my issues are with footage and aspect ratio. Sorry if that is too eccentric.
It is noticably better though.
Pete and ReturnToZero like this.
Old 30th December 2012, 08:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
And actually, when I hear that something has been mastered to look "more natural and realistic" it tends to just look pale and washed out compared to the real world I see!
Still far better than the manipulated world on the BU release
Old 30th December 2012, 09:04 AM
Cultist in Training

fyi, someone over at AVF looked at the disc in detail and the missing footage isn't on the disc at all looking at the mt2s files so the claim that it's a branching error can be ruled out

as for being anal about the missing footage. I'm not being anal otherwise i would of got my pitchfork out but not being funny but if this was The Dark Knight Rises or something similar, i'm pretty sure people would be up in arms. sorry if i am a fan of the film and i want the BEST presentation of it in my collection (after living with cut to shred VHS, shoddy looking DVD's and Laserdiscs over the years) and i have said a few times that Arrow certainly have delivered the goods (compared to the BU release) but with this minor issue of the clipping of the opening shot. Why i'm getting flamed for this on these boards i have no idea. but i'm waiting for a response from Arrow just like Stephen.

there was an issue with the UK Avengers BD if people remember that ended up on watchdog because it was censored and the fans got their pitchforks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBPirEA8IE
Old 30th December 2012, 09:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hello Big Rob i think someone over on AVF (Rebel Scum) got the impression from your post on AVF that you were getting flamed on here and mind so did i...........i am sure that is not what you intended.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...11-12-a-6.html
Old 30th December 2012, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
The Dark Knight Rises or something similar, i'm pretty sure people would be up in arms
I wouldn't - it's awful!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 30th December 2012, 09:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I can see that the Arrow transfer is better and the extra image at the edges is splendid. But from what I have seen so far, it doesn't look that much better than the BU version. It looks slightly better.

I do realise that screen captures can be misleading....but I actually like slightly more saturated colours. I like colours to jump out at me rather than look "natural" and "realistic". I can see natural and realistic everyday, I want a film to be something special!

I am intrigued to see this Arrow transfer...but not enough to buy it. Not yet. But then I bought the Grindhouse release of The Beyond because it ate away at me that a tiny few seconds were missing from the start of the AWE version I had...I don't mind fractions of a second being missing due to damaged frames or such, but I am afraid this 6 seconds missing from this establishing intro shot stops me buying it. Especially when weighed up against the almost-as-good image quality of the BU version I have all ready.

Other people have issues over grain and detail and artwork, my issues are with footage and aspect ratio. Sorry if that is too eccentric.
I'm kind of sorry in advance, but you've got to be shittin me.

It really is a transfer you have to see in motion, it really is a night and day difference between the 2, six missing seconds of a goddamn boat or not.

The only advantage in my opinion for the BU, is the blood packs more punch, but the colour on the BU version is actually INCORRECT. The colour was changed in that scan and approved by the DP, for more of that lurid EC style look, but the Arrow version is the original colours.

Plus during the colour change, detail was actually lost in the night scenes, quite dramatically during the shot of the zombies shuffling towards the church.

I can't quite understand how when everyone one in the UK has had to put up with cut versions and shit VIPCO quality releases for so long, finally gets a fully Uncut release, (that isn't in a goddamn OOP boxset), and on blu ray no less, and people are bitching about a couple of seconds on a boat.

Yes, it's quite jarring, and yes, we definantly do deserve an answer from Arrow, but that in no way makes the BU version better. Fair enough if you prefer the incorrect colours, and that's why you think it's better, but 6 seconds, in exchange for the best goddamn transfer we've seen, and a ton of extras, really doesn't justify it.

I personally think that's it was a combination of either negative or authoring logos, but losing 6 seconds of footage in exchange for 3 different opening, really isn't that bad.

I think someone with the DVD should check it out, because if it is there, then it's an authoring fault, if it isn't, then it's a print. But I don't think it's anywhere near enough of a reason for all the hassle of a recall. At least when The Beyond was recalled, it wasn't just the audio they fixed, it was also the compression and the disc size.

And it isn't a disaster. I mean, it took me an extra 2 weeks to get mine, and THEN at least another week for someone to notice. Nobody on here noticed before. None of the reviewers or the people with preview discs noticed. Everyone enjoyed the fantastic release, but now that someone's mentioned something we didn't originally notice, meaning it wasn't big enough, we all start kicking up a shit about it. I mean, like someone mentioned, the notoriously fussy Kentai, who always kicks up a shit about missing footage, really doesn't care about it, in exchange for this transfer, so that's saying something.

If someone wants a response from Arrow, it probably is a good idea to call them when they return, and with the amount of crap with people constantly posting requests on Facebook, it's understandable that our responses get ignored.
But yes, it is pretty poor that they don't reply to emails, but in no one, is someone "hiding", when they post on Facebook, with all of their details attached.

I've been staying out of this argument for quite some time, because I really didn't care, but it's getting a tad ridiculous

Goji, this isn't directed at you, this is just a general statement, which your post provoked me (not in a bad way) to post.
Justin101, Nemesis and Linbro like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 30th December 2012, 10:22 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
losing 6 seconds of footage in exchange for 3 different opening, really isn't that bad.
Sorry, but that's crazy. Getting 3 openings doesn't justify a single second of missing footage, no matter what it is.

As far as i'm concerned, 6 missing seconds is 6 missing seconds, doesn't matter if it's a boat going across the screen, or gore. So to everyone who saying it's not important, I'll remind you all the next time you complain that a film has a few seconds of violence missing, that it doesn't matter.
robertzombie and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist

BU and Arrow were operating from different sources - Arrow went back to the negative which was supplied from Variety, while BU relied on another source, which was clearly not licensed from Variety.

What if the negative that was provided to Arrow simply did not contain the boat sequence? If it did, then Arrow have got some explaining to do.

But if it did not, then where does it end? Arrow had to rely on what it was licensed to use from Variety; it could have not gone to BU and asked for the first six seconds of footage, especially as BU did not get theirs from Variety.
And in any case, ask yourself this question. If Arrow had gone to BU and asked to use their material for the first six seconds, then would it be as impressive a restoration as it appears? No - the BU presentation, although solid, does have the tinkering that Italian masters have been plagued with in the past. First impressions count - once people saw noise and DNR in the opening, it would not matter about the rest of the film and how good it looked. Arrow would once again get it in the neck about noise and DNR.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Sorry, but that's crazy. Getting 3 openings doesn't justify a single second of missing footage, no matter what it is.

As far as i'm concerned, 6 missing seconds is 6 missing seconds, doesn't matter if it's a boat going across the screen, or gore. So to everyone who saying it's not important, I'll remind you all the next time you complain that a film has a few seconds of violence missing, that it doesn't matter.
What if Arrow came out and said it was due to a damaged negative. Would that forgive it?

I know that the Burial Grounds blu ray is missing about 2 minutes of footage, comprised of a few frames from almost every shot due to splice damage.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 30th December 2012, 10:33 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
What if Arrow came out and said it was due to a damaged negative. Would that forgive it?
Not really, they could have fixed it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!