Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011, 07:35 PM
Cult Rookie

Default 15 secs is better than nothing

i don't think the deleting of the animal ritual scene would detract from the re-issuing of such a cult horror film that has in the past been the victim of savage cut backs in its viewing time and now we might get to see it in all of its near complete glory
Old 25th September 2011, 12:50 PM
Ex-Member

Default Cannibal Holocaust - Animal Killings.

I watched a vipco's Ghosthouse last night and there was a trailer for Cannibal Holocuast.
I felt awful when I saw the turtle being hurled out of the river. I know these films have animal killings in them. I know it has been said they are done humane in some instances and there has been a cut in others, but I can't help in feeling this is awful. Which is a shame because I really wanted to add this for my Shameless collection.
I understand animals are killed for food, I'm not a vegatrian but when it comes to seeing them killed for the sake of a films I just can't help my feelings. I once spoke to John Morgan from Cannibal Ferox about this subject and he felt the same way. I'd like to hear other people's comments about this.
Old 25th September 2011, 01:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

This subject has been pretty much done to death (pardon the pun) and I don't think there's really much left to debate now. I know I've been debating it for well over a decade now, online, so I've nothing really new to add, save that this is what the film is. It contains animal killings - if in doubt, don't view. It's very unpleasant, but then Cannibal Holocaust is an all-round unpleasant film. But it does have a point to make.

And it also has to be borne in mind that films like this were created for 70's/early 80's audiences. Not for audiences of today, so it has to be judged on that. Discard the 21st Century mentality and understand that stuff like this was acceptable to Italian audiences back then. Let's not forget that the Mondo films from the likes of Prosperi et al were hugely popular. Mondo Cane was even Oscar-nominated for its theme song, which clearly shows it was quite a well-known and well-regarded work. These are not really all that obscure in film circles.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 25th September 2011, 02:20 PM
Active Cultist

It may be awful but thats what cannibal holocaust is about,how f***ed up the human race is
Old 25th September 2011, 03:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I agree with Daemonia. It's not something I condone but it's already been committed to film and it's part of the original vision so should be left as is. In these cases it's up to the viewer as to what they want to see.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 25th September 2011, 03:44 PM
Ex-Member

I think it will always be a subject that comes up, when a film is rereleased. I have seen the film, about sixteen years ago, but its a blur now with Cannibal Ferox. I did in the glory days work in a video store, long before blockbusters and other chains took over so I know my films and CH does have a charm to it in the cannibal genre, but maybe its the older I get that makes stuff like this less appealing and with the added animal killings, perhaps there's far more appealing horror films out there I'd rather spend money on.
Old 25th September 2011, 05:15 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Its part of the film. Removing it dilutes the director's original vision. If you can't cope with it, don't watch it.

To be honest, I'm sick of all these bleeding heart born again animal rights activists saying how appalling it is to kill animals for entertainment. No, it wouldn't happen now, but it did happen then, and then was a very different time. A time when 15 year old girls got their t*ts out on page 3 of The Sun, something else that would never happen now.

So come on people, these films were meant to be hard hitting. Accept it or avoid it, but don't change it.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 25th September 2011, 06:37 PM
Ex-Member

That may be the case, but is it the directors vision when he claims he was forced by producers to add animal killings, and regrets it.
Secondly I find it humourous when poeple write IF IN DOUBT DO NOT VIEW. It takes me back to the vipco warnings.

I am not a bleeding heart activist. I was just asking the question of what people thought about animals being killed for the sake of a movie. I understand that some were killed humane way but still it makes me feel repulsed seeing a animal killed for the sake of a film. I accept this was a different time and culture. And I have seen the film in the past and know it makes some great social commentary whilst also coming across stupid and niave in places.

Last edited by Rassilon; 25th September 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Deodato initially said that it was for Jungle Holocaust/Last Cannibal World that the producers asked for some added animal violence. As far as I know, everything Deodato wanted in Cannibal Holocaust is in there. The fact he may now well regret it or try and make excuses is irrelevant. He made the film, he shot those scenes, and put together within the context of the film they create a very visceral and powerful viewing experience that constantly asks the viewer the question 'Are you okay with this?' No film has ever had an effect on me like Cannibal Holocaust, probably the only film that has left me in a state of shock and utterly speechless after my first viewing. There's not many films that can lay claim to that.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 26th September 2011, 06:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
This subject has been pretty much done to death (pardon the pun) and I don't think there's really much left to debate now.
Couldn't agree more! We've discussed every tiny bit of this question within the respective Cannibal Holocaust threads. I don't think that there's any need for a re-launch.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!