Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2018, 01:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
As I’ve posted recently in the TV thread, I’ve been watching Friends from the beginning on Netflix (despite owning the entire show on Blu Ray) and the main thing I’ve noticed is how channels like E4 and Comedy Central cut stuff out of the episodes, things like swearing and some sex references, so it’s kinda like watching the episodes for the first time again. I know the blu rays are fully uncut because I watched the first couple of seasons when I got the set, but I didn’t know they were cut for tv, probably the same when it originally aired on channel 4 in the 90’s, I can’t remember
They do the same with the big bang theory and it is so awkwardly done, it's almost as though they got someone incompetent to do it.
Old 26th March 2018, 01:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
They do the same with the big bang theory and it is so awkwardly done, it's almost as though they got someone incompetent to do it.

Yeah, I noticed that, if you watch an episode during the afternoon it’s cut, but not in the evening or after the watershed, the editing is pathetic
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th March 2018, 01:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that, if you watch an episode during the afternoon it’s cut, but not in the evening or after the watershed, the editing is pathetic
It's almost like they hired len kabasinski XD

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 26th March 2018, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
As I’ve posted recently in the TV thread, I’ve been watching Friends from the beginning on Netflix (despite owning the entire show on Blu Ray) and the main thing I’ve noticed is how channels like E4 and Comedy Central cut stuff out of the episodes, things like swearing and some sex references, so it’s kinda like watching the episodes for the first time again. I know the blu rays are fully uncut because I watched the first couple of seasons when I got the set, but I didn’t know they were cut for tv, probably the same when it originally aired on channel 4 in the 90’s, I can’t remember
It used to be on at 9:00pm on a Friday night on Channel 4 in it's original run, I think in fact before it got big it used to be on mid-week around 11:00pm so I imagine they were all full versions, later on, I imagine that they were slightly edited so that they could be shown pre-watershed, E4 used to play them all the way through the day!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th March 2018, 04:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It used to be on at 9:00pm on a Friday night on Channel 4 in it's original run, I think in fact before it got big it used to be on mid-week around 11:00pm so I imagine they were all full versions, later on, I imagine that they were slightly edited so that they could be shown pre-watershed, E4 used to play them all the way through the day!

Of course it was, we used to watch it in the pub every week
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th April 2018, 07:37 AM
Cult Master

Not sure where to put this, so here seems as good a place as any

On the 19th February 1978, a cinema chain in Lincolnshire gave a statement saying they were not going to be showing the film 'The Black Panther' in any of their 15 cinemas in the county. The film, a crime drama based on serial killer Dennis Neilson, was made in 1977 and passed uncut with a '15' certificate by the BBFC. 'We are not that kind of Cinema', the agent responsible for booking the film said. 'We are better without it'

So what wholesome, tasteful piece of cinema did they put on instead? Something by Disney perhaps. Or maybe 'Star Wars'?

No, they went with a double feature consisting of Lina Romay in 'Caged Women' and Laura Gemser and Annie Belle (HOTEOTP) in 'Black Emmanuelle, White Emmanuelle'!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th April 2018, 10:34 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Black Panther is now considered a BFI classic.

It stars Donald Sumpter as Donald Neilson (not Dennis, Susan) and i highly recommend it if you haven't seen it, Susan. Fopp usually have it in their BFI sales for a fiver or less on dvd.

It was actually passed as an 18 cert not a 15. I can see it from here on the shelf nearby.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/black-panther-video

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 7th April 2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 7th April 2018, 04:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ooooh Dustin Gee ! Ahem.

Aye tis a grim wee flick.
Recommended here also.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th April 2018, 06:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Highly recommended here, too.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 14th April 2018, 06:21 AM
Cult Master

The BBFC change the rules and move the goalposts again!

MelonFarmers notes the following for the upcoming release of Tony Richardson's 1963 comedy 'Tom Jones':

"Tom Jones is a 1963 UK comedy adventure by Tony Richardson.
Starring Albert Finney, Susannah York and George Devine

The BBFC has just made the unusual decision to waive animal cruelty cuts. In this case the cuts were to a cockfight.

The BBFC does seem more likely these days to waive cuts to animal cruelty shown to be staged, but maybe this case is different in that the BBFC commented in 2003 that cuts to Tom Jones were required to sight of real animal cruelty (cockfighting).

The BBFC has also uprated the age classification from the previous PG rating to a 12 rating this time.

Censorship History

Passed X uncut by the BBFC for 1963 cinema release. BBFC have required animal cruelty cuts for all releases from 1971 until 2018 when the cuts were waived for home video release. The film exists in a longer original version and a shortened Director's Cut. Both versions are available MPAA Unrated and so without censor cuts in the US. "

BBFC News: Latest - Tom Jones
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!