Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2008, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

I can't remember the name of the film with the 'notorious' cockfighting scenes that was in the news a couple of years ago but were they staged for the film or were they part of a 'cultural' thing?
Monte Helllman's Cockfighter. Yes they were staged for the film which is why the film can never be classified over here. Apparently cockfighting was illegal in the states when the film was shot.
Old 12th July 2008, 08:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post

I know it was simulated , I was only joking.
I own the Blue Underground disc and it has the scene intact , yet its missing from the VIPCO Extreme version , I wondered if VIPCO had sumbitted the full version and the BBFC removed the pig scene, as if it was a pre cut version submitted , VIPCO surely would have removed the killing and mutation of the lizard., yet this scene is included in the UK VIPCO version . Makes me think they submitted an U/C print for classification .
As far as I know the full version was submitted to the BBFC in 2001 but this version did not include the scene with the pig which was not available at the time. Apparently it was not part of the original version of the film. AB US was the first company to release the longer version sometime later.
Old 12th July 2008, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Makes me think they submitted an U/C print for classification .
The 'expanded' version also includes a masturbation scene that wasn't in the UK Vipco submission. I think this, plus the pig scene, weren't in the original print and turned up later as Angel says. The version submitted was probably the uncut UK cinema print, though it received less cuts this time around.
Old 13th July 2008, 12:20 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I recon your right, as it says on the BU release that it contains never before scenes from the directors private collection.
I imagine VIPCO didn't have access to the extra footage.

Im surprised VIPCO submitted the fullest version of MOTCg they had to the BBFC yet submitted the heavily cut 'Replay' version of Ferox . It was definitely the 'Replay' version they submitted as the BBFC site only lists a 6 sec cut to a pre cut work for Ferox , though I think Angel's correct in saying the cut was only 2s.
Seems a waste of money by VIPCO with that submission. Strange.
Old 13th July 2008, 01:02 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

If Vipco had submitted the uncut Ferox in 2000 it would definitely have received heavier cuts than it would today (the animal scenes plus probably the entire breast impalement), though it's unlikely to have been 6/7 mins. The same with Eaten Alive. Annoyingly Vipco also re-released the cut 1994 print of Night Of The Demon and the 1992 cut of Pranks when the uncut versions would have passed without problems.

Some of the year 2000+ Vipco releases which ended up cut (ie House By The Cemetery, Toolbox Murders, The Mutilator) would fly through intact now. If Blackhorse re-release them though they may well simply reissue the cut prints rather than a fresh submission of the uncut ones.
Old 13th July 2008, 05:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes Vipco probably didn't think it was worth the effort submitting the uncut Cannibal Ferox when the cuts would have been similar to the heavily cut print they released in the early 80's.
Old 13th July 2008, 02:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

They done the same with Bloody Moon , The Slayer , Shogun Assassin and the Burning, though re submitted The Burning , The Slayer , Shogun uncut and got them passed, but surprisingly never submitted Bloody Moon again.
All these films werer submitted under 'horror video' or 'Mike Lee' VIPCO's head man, though the VIPCO films that are how being handled by Blackhorse and released through a dfferent label for some reason are still being submitted in cut form, even though Blackhorse are listed as already being the European distributor for some of VIPCO's catalogue .

Blackhorse are using a different label for their soon to be released version of CH yet paid the BBFC to classify the same version they already had the distribution rights for, as Mike Lee used them for the 25th Ann. Ed.
So it dose'nt seem to be a case of saving money by re releasing them in their already classifyed cut form, as they're paying the BBFC to re classify work that already has a certificate . Strange.

It was the US 'R' version of Pranks VIPCO submitted, thoughI they said at the time they thought the print was the uncut.

One question if I may, if a film is available in standard and Widescreen versions, do both versions have to be submitted or does the one submission suffice .?

Last edited by vipco; 13th July 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 13th July 2008, 03:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
One question if I may, if a film is available in standard and Widescreen versions, do both versions have to be submitted or does the one submission suffice .?
Both versions have to be submitted.
Old 13th July 2008, 04:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The cut made to Glory (1989) was silly as it was a side fall performed by a specially trained horse.Channel 4 always used to show the 4 sec cut which occurs when Matthew Broderick's men first see action and fire upon the charging confederate cavalry.The cut footage is shown in the documentary in the extras on the UK disc anyway.The bestiality footage in Cannibal God is totally unconvincing as I posted on another thread and this footage along with the masturbation footage was added to the longer Blue Underground/AB versions.It was certainly not in other prints of the film i've ever seen before,though I gather a German dvd shows some of the extra footage.
Old 13th July 2008, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Both versions have to be submitted.
Yes as a widescreen version could reveal more picture information which may result in a film requiring additional cuts for starters.I'm sure old P & S video versions of films showing horsefalls for example could actually have the offending (in the eyes of the BBFC) cruelty cut off screen in large scale battle sequences.

Last edited by mark meakin; 13th July 2008 at 04:24 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!