Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2008, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

BTW: I've just opened a thread dedicated to the specifics of German censorship over at Zanner's new board, because I thought this topic will become of more concern and importance over here when the Shameless release of "New York Ripper" ends up on the BPJM's dreaded "B-List".
Yeah, that IS possible....

The "What's Banned And Censored in Germany" Thread:

http://www.atfreeforum.com/wwwzanner...nnersrooms#555

Last edited by Peter Neal; 24th June 2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 25th June 2008, 06:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Never heard of Last House on the Beach.

Ghost Galleon & Phantasm are rated only 15 here.

Cutthroats Nine and X Ray have never been classified by the BBFC. The latter is very tame in terms of violence and could easily pass with a 15.

How sad to see Dawn of the Dead there.

Never seen Rabid Grannies. The version classified by the BBFC was a cut version. They would probably pass the full version today.

Likewise Beyond the Darkness here is a cut version. The uncut version would pass today.

Slumber Party Massacre despite being rated 18 is really quite tame.

Bare Behind Bars is also banned over here. Have never seen the film so don't know for sure what they would make of it today but I'm sure they wouldn't reject it. Does sound like it would be cut though.

Not surprised to see Cat in the Brain there as it was a thoroughly unpleasant film. The BBFC ban here lasted only 4 years,

The BBFC used to ban a lot of films eg in 1973 they banned 36 films in one year but they tend to do try and avoid banning films today. Actually I'm curious to know what the next film they are going to ban be will be. Nothing on the cards just yet.

Last edited by Angel; 25th June 2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Never heard of Last House on the Beach..
My review of this Italian "Last House" rip-off, 7nth. post from above :

http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...read.php?t=254

Quote:
Ghost Galleon & Phantasm are rated only 15 here..
Both belong to the most frequently questioned bans. None of them should cause too much trouble over there if resubmitted, but the process of getting a movie off the list is quite complicated, as different institutions have to be consulted, and since it would be still not 100% certain that they get away with a clean cut "16" rating fully intact, the commercial value is not too attractive for most German distributors due to the strict "Youth Protection" restrictions on "18" rated material. The same goes for a fully uncut "Halloween 2".

Quote:
Cutthroats Nine and X Ray have never been classified by the BBFC. The latter is very tame in terms of violence and could easily pass with a 15..
Like in the UK, most titles, which were banned in the first half of the 80's, hadn't been submitted for home video classification, because there was no such thing as a FSK classification for VHS...until the first public outcries.
Unfortunately, there's no legit DVD release of either available at the moment.
Both COULD be of interest to "Shameless" though.
The German fans would buy them for sure!

Quote:
How sad to see Dawn of the Dead there..
Yes, a real, real shame! Alongside the ban for the original uncut "TCM", it just illustrates the lack of respect and knowledge of the people in charge of "protecting Germany's youth" for these movies as works of art.

Quote:
Never seen Rabid Grannies. The version classified by the BBFC was a cut version. They would probably pass the full version today..
I'd guess so, too, though an uncut German release is still out of the question.
They just HATE "Fun Splatter", best illustrated by the ban of Peter Jackson's semi-classic "Braindead".

Quote:
Likewise Beyond the Darkness here is a cut version. The uncut version would pass today..
Are you sure? In that case, I'd very strongly consider this for "Shameless".
If there ever was a more fitting movie for the yellow sleeve I still have to see it!

Quote:
Slumber Party Massacre despite being rated 18 is really quite tame..
Fully agreed! It was the censored UK "Virgin" VHS, which did the trick and got the movie banned.
It has never been released in Germany, but sold in movie shops as an import title.

Quote:
Bare Behind Bars is also banned over here. Have never seen the film so don't know for sure what they would make of it today but I'm sure they wouldn't reject it. Does sound like it would be cut though..
Definetely. What I read just sounds like the stuff even the BBFC can't fully warm up to....

Quote:
Not surprised to see Cat in the Brain there as it was a thoroughly unpleasant film. The BBFC ban here lasted only 4 years,.
The cut-by-20-mins rental VHS got the film safely through the 90's- until the uncensored ASTRO DVD caught the wrath of the usual suspects.

Quote:
The BBFC used to ban a lot of films eg in 1973 they banned 36 films in one year but they tend to do try and avoid banning films today. Actually I'm curious to know what the next film they are going to ban be will be. Nothing on the cards just yet.
May be "Gutterballs", "Martyrs"....indeed a good question!

Last edited by Peter Neal; 25th June 2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 25th June 2008, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

I don't think Beyond the Darkness would pass uncut today in the UK.

Because of the dismemberment scene, but maybe they'd say the limbs don't look realistic so it's okay.

I like that scene.
Old 25th June 2008, 04:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I very much doubt the BBFC would cut the dismemberment scene. The scene is not part of a sexual assault or rape therefore they could not justify cuts.

Ah yes, Gutterballs!. Thanks Peter I forget about this one. I read the comments about the film by somebody on the Cult Movie Forums. Definitely sounds like it's going to be heavily cut here although a ban is unlikely because there is only one scene that would be problematic. The director also made TORCHED in 2004. Sounds very extreme. Never submitted to the BBFC but again sounds like it would have serious problems. Anyone here seen this?

Snuff 102 sounds like it would probably be banned.
Old 26th June 2008, 05:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Does anyone know if a film called ' The Girl Next Door ' (2007) has been submitted for a BBFC classification .?
Its the film where a girl gets brought up by her aunt.
Apparently its a deeply disturbing film.
Old 26th June 2008, 06:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It hasn't been classified as yet, Vipco. But yes it does sound very disturbing. This is the MPAA's Consumer advice-

"Rated R for sadistic torture and sexual abuse, nudity, language and strong sexual dialogue - all involving children"

Wonder if it will have problems with the BBFC.
Old 26th June 2008, 07:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I didn't realise it had children tortured in it.
I just read a thread somewhere, and someone had read the book and mentioned that there was also a film, that was why i'd asked, as I wondered if the BBFC had viewed it.
Thanks Angel.

BTW, I watched Cat in the Brain.
Not Fulci's best by any means but I enjoyed it.

Last edited by vipco; 26th June 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 26th June 2008, 08:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The banning of movies in Europe seems to have a silent comeback.

According to "Another World's" homepage, their release of "Murder Set Pieces" got banned in Norway, which was a direct reaction to the movie's prior rejection by the BBFC. Apparently, some folks there felt that there was no reason why Norway "should be more liberal than the UK"!!!!!

http://www.anotherworldent.com/index_dk.htm

(News from the 10th of june)

It'll be interesting to see whether it's just this particular movie getting all the heat, or if this is the beginning of the journey "back to the 80's" on a much bigger scale....

BTW: "The Girl next Door" has been released uncut and with the blessing of the FSK in Germany as "Jack Ketchum's Evil"....

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fas...786&vid=242698
Old 26th June 2008, 11:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Be interesting to see what the BBFC make of 'The Girl Next Door' Peter if its submitted to them, seeing as the German censors have give it the green light.

Like this? Share it using the links below!