Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Whilst I am quite a fan of The House with the Windows that Laugh and Amsterdamned, I don't really see the point in the re-release of films that can already be obtained easily on DVD in the UK.

I have the US Image Entertainment DVD of The House with the Laughing Windows and won't be swapping that for the Shameless release. Neither will I be getting rid of my Nouveaux copy of Amsterdamned.

I can understand that it must be a damn sight easier, and much more cost effective, to release something for which a DVD master already exists, but I think the majority of us would rather see something that hasn't had a DVD release before. I realise that there are simple economic factors involved in these decisions, and respect such business logic, but I hope that Shameless have plans for something a little more unexpected in the near future.
Daemonia and PaulD like this.

Last edited by g053584398; 4th August 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 4th August 2012, 08:35 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I don't know what you mean by this.

Amsterdamned is a (very good) Euro-cult film that follows the Giallo pattern. I understand why Shameless might release a film like it, but not whilst the previous release is still in the shops.
I mean singe Shameless concentrated on italian Films or the Late 60s an the complete 70s and on Films that are "nasty" and sleazy in some ways it's rather odd that they leave this track now with a Film which is neither italian nor sleazy nor "nasty" nor full of suspence (If you watch Out then One knows what's Honig on After 15 mins.). I mean it is Not that bad but always reminded me of german crime-films. I can see no giallo-elements in it. It's "euro" ok, but for me it's just to sober and clean to put it near a giallo like "mrs ward"
Old 4th August 2012, 03:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
Whilst I am quite a fan of The House with the Windows that Laugh and Amsterdamned, I don't really see the point in the re-release of films that can already be obtained easily on DVD in the UK.

I have the US Image Entertainment DVD of The House with the Laughing Windows and won't be swapping that for the Shameless release. Neither will I be getting rid of my Nouveaux copy of Amsterdamned.

I can understand that it must be a damn sight easier, and much more cost effective, to release something for which a DVD master already exists, but I think the majority of us would rather see something that hasn't had a DVD release before. I realise that there are simple economic factors involved in these decisions, and respect such business logic, but I hope that Shameless have plans for something a little more unexpected in the near future.
It's genuinely nice to see someone expressing disappointment with a release announcement on here in a thoughtful and reasoned way. Kudos sir!
g053584398 likes this.
Old 4th August 2012, 04:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfulci View Post
I mean singe Shameless concentrated on italian Films or the Late 60s an the complete 70s and on Films that are "nasty" and sleazy in some ways it's rather odd that they leave this track now with a Film which is neither italian nor sleazy nor "nasty" nor full of suspence (If you watch Out then One knows what's Honig on After 15 mins.). I mean it is Not that bad but always reminded me of german crime-films. I can see no giallo-elements in it. It's "euro" ok, but for me it's just to sober and clean to put it near a giallo like "mrs ward"
For me it fits in perfectly with other Shameless releases. I don't remember Shameless ever claiming that they were solely a label for Italian films pre-1985.

We must have very different definitions of "Giallo" as I think Amsterdamned reeks of the genre. It's certainly as much a Giallo as, say, Stagefright, indeed more so with the detective/mystery elements of the story.
Old 4th August 2012, 04:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

STAGEFRIGHT is a slasher!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th August 2012, 04:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The more I think about it, the less I can conceive how anyone would not accept that Amsterdamned is a Dutch Giallo.

It's a violent whodunit concerning the investigation of an outlandish string of murders, shot stylishly with music often driving the narrative. If that isn't Giallo, then what the hell is?!?!
Old 4th August 2012, 05:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Not all of the films on the Shameless label are gialli, as someone else has pointed out, but then the term giallo does have different meanings in both denotational and connotational terms.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 4th August 2012, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

If you can have British Giallo (Dont Look Now) and American Giallo (Dressed to Kill) Then I don't see why Amsterdamned can't be the Dutch take on the genre.

DVD and BD collection
Old 4th August 2012, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
If you can have British Giallo (Dont Look Now)
Actually it's a British/Italian production, and extremely overrated too
Pete likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th August 2012, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Actually it's a British/Italian production, and extremely overrated too
The greatest British film ever made in my opinion.
oaxaca and Hawkmonger like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!