Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2012, 08:21 AM
Cult Rookie

I hope very much the announced Amsterdamned-release is a joke. This film is nothing compared to a film like "Four Flys" or New York Ripper", has no atmosphere and is far away form beeing a mystery-thriller. I've almost known it right from the start in the late 80s. Always thought it was a TV-Film (which it isn't) .

It's surely worth one or two turns but not having a fairly exclusive DVD/BD-edition of it.

As to the other film. Surely ok, but as it is still available in a decent edtion, it seems a wee bit strained (just to have somethiong to release)
robertzombie likes this.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah they're still working on Night Of The Demon and SS Experiment Camp.....so in the meantime,these will suffice!
Daemonia, Pete, Rik and 1 others like this.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Thoughts on Amsterdamned.

There is a way this could be a good thing. I am watching the Nouveaux version now and it is a very soft transfer lacking in detail, and it looks to be converted from an NTSC source with the artifacting that entails. It also seems to be "zoomed in" - IMDb claims this is a 1.85:1 film, but I bet it was shot for 1.66:1.

So, if the Shameless release is remastered from a proper film source, has both Dutch and English audio tracks and is presented in a more appropriate aspect ratio, then my view on the release will completely change and I will buy it.

If it is just the same master as the Nouveaux, then I have no idea what Shameless are thinking.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I could be wrong, but I think Nouveuax may have stopped distributing. If Shameless had the opportunity to pick up the rights to these films (and hopefully Suspiria too!) for a cheap rate, then it could explain their release choices - I mean wouldn't you do the same if you were faced with the same opportunity?
oaxaca and platostotal like this.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Nouveuax may have stopped distributing.
That would be a shame as they were a good label.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Nouveuax may have stopped distributing. If Shameless had the opportunity to pick up the rights to these films (and hopefully Suspiria too!) for a cheap rate, then it could explain their release choices - I mean wouldn't you do the same if you were faced with the same opportunity?

Perhaps so. I thought Nouveaux were still going though. Perhaps there is just a lot of stock still.

Well, in that case, I hope someone picks up their Borowczyk films.

Anyone releasing Amsterdamned should try to to do better than Nouveaux. I suspect it will just be struck from the same master for financial reasons.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Anyone releasing Amsterdamned should try to to do better than Nouveaux. I suspect it will just be struck from the same master for financial reasons.
Me too, sadly.

I rented the Nouveaux version from Love Film earlier in the year, and pretty much agree with your thoughts regarding the quality, Goji.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They had a really good catalogue - MY NAME IS NOBODY, the TRINITY films, BEHIND CONVENT WALLS, LA BETE, SUSPIRIA to name a few - so it would be good if someone could pick them up and release them on BD.
Daemonia, g053584398 and Gojirosan like this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:36 PM
Cult Rookie

PHP Code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Thoughts on Amsterdamned.

There is a way this could be a good thing. I am watching the Nouveaux version now and it is a very soft transfer lacking in detail, and it looks to be converted from an NTSC source with the artifacting that entails. It also seems to be "zoomed in" - IMDb claims this is a 1.85:1 film, but I bet it was shot for 1.66:1.

So, if the Shameless release is remastered from a proper film source, has both Dutch and English audio tracks and is presented in a more appropriate aspect ratio, then my view on the release will completely change and I will buy it.

If it is just the same master as the Nouveaux, then I have no idea what Shameless are thinking.

If so, why start with a title like " Amsterdamned" which doesn't fit in the Release-scheme at all.
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfulci View Post
If so, why start with a title like " Amsterdamned" which doesn't fit in the Release-scheme at all.
I don't know what you mean by this.

Amsterdamned is a (very good) Euro-cult film that follows the Giallo pattern. I understand why Shameless might release a film like it, but not whilst the previous release is still in the shops.

Like this? Share it using the links below!