Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man)
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree145Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2011, 01:28 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
Spending cash on a blu surely will be worth it?
In theory, yes.

However, the point I've been trying to make - although it would seem I'm making a terrible job of it - is that Blu-rays are too expensive to make.

Say Shameless spend £1000? And for that £1000 they get 1000 DVDs produced? Well, that same £1000 will get them only around 250-330 Blu-rays.

That's all very well and good if Shameless can afford to up their budget and spend £3000-£4000 to get 1000 Blu-ray discs produced, but if they only have £1000 they just can't do it or they only have 250-330 discs to ship to retailers.

It's a very basic analogy but it's proportionally more-or-less correct.

Shameless have limited resources. They can't afford to put the budget up so it's a choice between producing DVDs and having plenty of product to go out to retailers and maximise their profits (thus enabling them to keep operating) or sending out a limited amount of product and having minimal profits (if any once other costs are taken into consideration).

So yes, in theory, making Blu-rays makes sense, but only if Shameless can afford to do so and because of the repercussions of the Sony fire, they can't.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
In theory, yes.

However, the point I've been trying to make - although it would seem I'm making a terrible job of it - is that Blu-rays are too expensive to make.

Say Shameless spend £1000? And for that £1000 they get 1000 DVDs produced? Well, that same £1000 will get them only around 250-330 Blu-rays.

That's all very well and good if Shameless can afford to up their budget and spend £3000-£4000 to get 1000 Blu-ray discs produced, but if they only have £1000 they just can't do it or they only have 250-330 discs to ship to retailers.

It's a very basic analogy but it's proportionally more-or-less correct.

Shameless have limited resources. They can't afford to put the budget up so it's a choice between producing DVDs and having plenty of product to go out to retailers and maximise their profits (thus enabling them to keep operating) or sending out a limited amount of product and having minimal profits (if any once other costs are taken into consideration).

So yes, in theory, making Blu-rays makes sense, but only if Shameless can afford to do so and because of the repercussions of the Sony fire, they can't.
It is a shame, you'll lose a lot of sales just because it isn't blu.
Ok, so instead of releasing a DVD title that we all have/seen, why not put out something a bit more special....
Old 18th October 2011, 01:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I know BDs cost 3 to 4 times more to produce than DVDs so, with Shameless' finances in a more parlous state than other, bigger companies who lost stock in the Sony fire, it really boils down to a choice between a DVD release or no release at all.

I'll go with the DVD.
Sarah@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

On a side note, can't wait to see Pete get to work on Anna Falchi's boobs for the sleeve...
Old 18th October 2011, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Ok, so instead of releasing a DVD title that we all have/seen, why not put out something a bit more special....
Ah, c'mon - they've just put out Cannibal Holocaust (supervised by Deodato himself) as a worldwide first on BD, and are about to release Four Flies as another world first on BD - How much more special do you want?!
Sarah@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:38 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
It is a shame, you'll lose a lot of sales just because it isn't blu.
You keep saying it's a DVD title that we've all seen but not everyone has.

I've actually seen a fair few comments on Twitter and Facebook from people saying it's a film they haven't seen because they've never had the opportunity (i.e. because they don't tend to import films or hunt around for OOP titles).

As bizarre_eye said a few posts ago, the biggest proportion of Shameless' sales still come from casual browsers on the high street, as surprising as it may be. That's a whole big group of people right there who probably have never seen this film because they don't import titles using t'internet.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, c'mon - they've just put out Cannibal Holocaust (supervised by Deodato himself) as a worldwide first on BD, and are about to release Four Flies as another world first on BD - How much more special do you want?!
Exceedingly true (I really can't wait for Four Flies!), but I'm talking about DD, put out something more special instead of wasting resource on a title that is not new. Or do a blu...
Old 18th October 2011, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
You keep saying it's a DVD title that we've all seen but not everyone has.

I've actually seen a fair few comments on Twitter and Facebook from people saying it's a film they haven't seen because they've never had the opportunity (i.e. because they don't tend to import films or hunt around for OOP titles).

As bizarre_eye said a few posts ago, the biggest proportion of Shameless' sales still come from casual browsers on the high street, as surprising as it may be. That's a whole big group of people right there who probably have never seen this film because they don't import titles using t'internet.
Ok i'm zipping up...I'm just a fan stating my concerns.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Almar said in the past most sales come from the high street and I'd be surprised if casual DVD shoppers had seen or were familiar with Dellamorte Dellamorte. I only saw it for the first time last month and hadn't heard of it until '84 Entertainment released their limited edition Mediabook.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:44 PM
Cult Addict

Shameless should bump the release date up to cash in on the "Dylan Dog" film being released the month before.
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!