Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151400Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2011, 08:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damek View Post
I got my first BD on saturday, the US release of Maniac Cop. While being my first ever BD, I wasn't very impressed with the picture quality. Was better than DVD, sure, but I expected more.

Nice to see the film again, though. Forgot most of it as it had been years since I watched it.
with titles like this is as much about the source materials as anything else, blu-ray can improve the picture quality on most (not all) releases. But low budget horror like maniac cop and releases like it can only look so good. I've owned both the elite entertainment and synapse dvd's of maniac and trust me on this, arrows release is better but its as good as its going to get.
Old 25th December 2011, 08:02 PM
Cult Addict

p.s. after i'm done here i'm going to watch zombie death house directed by john saxon. I'm not expecting great things from it but I was pleased someone got it for me for xmas as I thought it was going to hang around on there forever!
Old 25th December 2011, 08:09 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
with titles like this is as much about the source materials as anything else, blu-ray can improve the picture quality on most (not all) releases. But low budget horror like maniac cop and releases like it can only look so good. I've owned both the elite entertainment and synapse dvd's of maniac and trust me on this, arrows release is better but its as good as its going to get.
Yah, I know. New (Hollywood) movies look better than 'old' american b-movies. I just expected a little more, that's all. Even if it's not the same resolution, the DVD of "Margin Call" looked better to me than the "Maniac Cop" BD.
Old 25th December 2011, 08:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damek View Post
Yah, I know. New (Hollywood) movies look better than 'old' american b-movies. I just expected a little more, that's all. Even if it's not the same resolution, the DVD of "Margin Call" looked better to me than the "Maniac Cop" BD.
depends on the film stock, how well the film has been stored and various over technical stuff. Some 40's movies have probably had better treatment in terms of archiving than a lot of the cult movies floating about. Texas chainsaw is a good example, the blu-ray looks phenomenal to me but it does show up a lot of the print damage and other flaws.
Old 25th December 2011, 09:31 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
depends on the film stock, how well the film has been stored and various over technical stuff. Some 40's movies have probably had better treatment in terms of archiving than a lot of the cult movies floating about. Texas chainsaw is a good example, the blu-ray looks phenomenal to me but it does show up a lot of the print damage and other flaws.
Yeah I know it depends on many things. Reality is that old movies look worse than new movies usually.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:39 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I know its not a film, but yesterday I put some of an Amazon voucher I received towards the complete Hammer's House of Horrors series.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know its not a film, but yesterday I put some of an Amazon voucher I received towards the complete Hammer's House of Horrors series.
still darned good! Just try getting hammers house of mystery and suspense though, I spent ages tracking that down due to the astronomical prices online only to find them in a charity shop in cambridge at 5.99 each!
Old 26th December 2011, 08:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
still darned good! Just try getting hammers house of mystery and suspense though, I spent ages tracking that down due to the astronomical prices online only to find them in a charity shop in cambridge at 5.99 each!
There's nothing quite like the benefits of patience and looking in unlikely places, is there?

As those who like to wear red jackets and carry whips would say, it's the thrill of the hunt.
Old 26th December 2011, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Just finished an X-Mas gift card haul which included Noshame's OOP Red Queen box set, Anchor Bay's OOP Cheerleaders collection, Just Jaeckin's Gwendoline Uncle Jess' She Killed in Ecstasy, Spirits of the Dead and Di Leo's To Be Twenty.

Gotta <3 Amazon gift cards.
Old 26th December 2011, 12:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
They keep showing the series on horror channel just started again at weekned.

Like this? Share it using the links below!