Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

plasterface 31st January 2018 06:54 PM

purchases

ticket for sheffield horror con to meet Dario
erotic rites of frankenstien blu
the complete hookjaw had to get online as no comic/book shops stocked it
a book about vincent price films in fantastic nick for 4 quid from music magpie and the babycart criterion set 24 quid from magpie

Rik 31st January 2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 564647)
ticket for sheffield horror con to meet Dario

erotic rites of frankenstien blu

the complete hookjaw had to get online as no comic/book shops stocked it

a book about vincent price films in fantastic nick for 4 quid from music magpie and the babycart criterion set 24 quid from magpie

Not booked my ticket for Horrorcon yet, but I will be doing in a couple of weeks, I haven’t been able to go since the first one in 2015 so I’m glad I can actually make it to this one seeing as Argento is there :nod:

plasterface 31st January 2018 06:57 PM

and more

never sleep again and his name was Jason dvds 8 pound each from hmv, i have ever sleep again book on way from book depot, also Bruce Campbell doing a uk book tour

Rik 1st February 2018 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today’s Poundland and CEX pickups, £8 for the lot :)
Only one I haven’t seen is Chernobyl Diaries, so if it’s crap I’ve only wasted a quid on it and I’m sure I’d get more selling it on eBay :nod:

Attachment 200962

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 564706)
Today’s Poundland and CEX pickups, £8 for the lot :)
Only one I haven’t seen is Chernobyl Diaries, so if it’s crap I’ve only wasted a quid on it and I’m sure I’d get more selling it on eBay :nod:

Attachment 200962

I got rid of Chernobyl Diaries. In hindsight it was an error as i quite liked it and it's stuck with me over the years.

If i may comment on Bangkok Dangerous? It's absolutely terrible.

Rik 1st February 2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 564707)

If i may comment on Bangkok Dangerous? It's absolutely terrible.

I watched it once on TV a few years back and didn’t think it was that bad (hence the purchase), gonna give it a watch this afternoon to see if my feelings are the same :nod:

Rik 1st February 2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 564706)

And it’s already listed on eBay :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 564751)

It'll cost you more to post than what you'll get for it won't it?

bleakshaun 1st February 2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

And it’s already listed on eBay [emoji38]

You might make a pretty penny. As in a really shiny penny

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Rik 1st February 2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 564752)
It'll cost you more to post than what you'll get for it won't it?

I’ve listed it as a 1p start with the standard postage of £1.30, so if it sells I’ll make my quid back :lol:

I’m not bothered anyway, it only cost me a quid and I’ve wasted plenty more than that on worse films before, I still have Ratman in my collection :lol:

keirarts 1st February 2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Chernobyl diaries is a masterpiece. It clearly exposes the hidden truth that all eastern Europeans are sinister monsters. Some might argue it's racist but that's political correctness gone mad!

(Please note extreme sarcasm)

bleakshaun 1st February 2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 564756)
Chernobyl diaries is a masterpiece. It clearly exposes the hidden truth that all eastern Europeans are sinister monsters. Some might argue it's racist but that's political correctness gone mad!

(Please note extreme sarcasm)

I was about to say that's a bit extreme. But then I read the sarcasm bit at the end

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

SymbioticFunction 1st February 2018 01:41 PM

I ordered a Spanish 2012 edition of 1995's The Prophecy starring Christopher Walken, Eric Stolz and Virginia Madsen. Some fellow called Viggo Mortensen also plays Lucifer. I'm quite a big fan of this film (but I'm not that keen on the sequels).

It's recently been re-released with slightly different artwork but I've been advised that the later edition is at risk of being a BDR as the releasing firm has had recent financial difficulties. I hope that my copy is pressed as I don't normally keep BDRs.

(I have just one BDR: a live Goblin concert that was ordered through their official site and that was the only way of owning a high definition copy).

PQ is lacklustre but as this seems to be a 'forgotten' Miramax title, I suspect that this is as good as it's going to get. Here's a link to a comparison (looking at the lead windows shows that it is still a significant step-up from dvd):

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...8&I=0&i=1&go=1

platostotal 1st February 2018 03:47 PM

BHF charity shop... £1, (even better bargain as this one has a two hour 'making of' documentary on disc two)

http://i68.tinypic.com/ay35gm.jpg

monkeypedro 1st February 2018 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some of my Music Magpie orders from the weekend turned up this afternoon. I was surprised that the Twin Peaks box set was still sealed even though listed as used and was only £15.

I have had a handful of orders from them go astray in the last few weeks which is unusual as in the few months their service had improved a lot. It seems to me that all orders that have taken 4-8 days to dispatch never arrived and instead of cancelling the orders have just marked the dispatch button on the Ebay account. In the last week all orders have been dispatched within 24 hours and seems back to normal making me think that the person who deals with them normally has been on holiday and left to a minion to run while they were away.

Nordicdusk 2nd February 2018 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 200998

Some sexy art cards in the 2 disc edition.

If anyone wants the digital code message me I won't use them first come first served :lol:

platostotal 2nd February 2018 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
final picks of the week, Cancer Research charity shop 2 for £1!! (both are 2 disc editions and Kingdoms was brand new sealed)

Jani 2nd February 2018 06:30 PM

Mean streak friday

4 Attachment(s)
Brawl was amazingly brutal. Mr. Zahler is my new favourite writer/director.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd February 2018 09:24 PM

Not bought exactly, but I was the lucky winner of Arrow's 2017 release poll which meant I could choose some free titles from their 2017 slate. I made my selections the other day and the they arrived today by courier:

The questions / my answers for those who are interested are below.

Quote:

Favourite Release – Arrow Video - Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Favourite Release – Arrow Academy - The Apartment
Favourite Original Art - Kill, Baby Kill!
Favourite Newly Commissioned Art - The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Favourite Special Packaging - Phenomena (Limited Edition)
Favourite Extra - Exclusive Pin Badge with Brain Damage
Favourite Booklet - City of the Dead
Favourite Restoration - The Thing
Most Wanted Title For 2018 - So many... but I'd love to see Arrow release Abel Ferrara's The Addiction or a Blood for Dracula / Flesh for Frankenstein set.

Rik 2nd February 2018 09:28 PM

Nice one, I was gonna enter myself but I forgot, congratulations :clap:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd February 2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 564894)
Nice one, I was gonna enter myself but I forgot, congratulations :clap:

Cheers Rik. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2018 10:46 PM

Bloody Arrow fanboy!

;)

Nordicdusk 3rd February 2018 12:01 AM

Nice one B_E some great choices of prize and especially The Addiction for a future release.

nosferatu42 3rd February 2018 02:28 AM

Well done B.E. :clap:
Out of interest Which is your favourite Flesh for Frankenstein or Blood for D?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd February 2018 11:13 AM

Congratulations! :clap:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2018 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals.

The Dead Next Door Anchor Bay special edition and All Ladies Do It were in Music Magpie's 2 for £2 offer.

Heisenberg 3rd February 2018 11:34 AM

Received another 2 in the mail today, i should try to avoid this thread as every day i find another film or 2 to add to my ever expanding list of films to buy.

Got The duel project for 2LDK just to see if it actually as messed up as it sounds (2 girls kicking the crap out of each other?). Had to get Rawhead Rex for old times sake i was about 13 when it came out and it was one of the first horror films my friends and i could rent from the video shop without having to get one of our older brothers to get them for us. If i remember it was a 'so bad it's good' film but will try to watch over the weekend.

http://i67.tinypic.com/i1l2mh.jpg

bleakshaun 3rd February 2018 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only 2
Attachment 201012

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 564898)
Well done B.E. :clap:
Out of interest Which is your favourite Flesh for Frankenstein or Blood for D?

They're both great films, but Frankenstein just edges it for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 564924)

Blood for Dracula for me. However i don't think they are all that great to be honest.

Well done with the Arrow win by the way. :clap:

Bet you wish you hadn't bought all those sale titles now. :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 564925)
Blood for Dracula for me. However i don't think they are all that great to be honest.

Well done with the Arrow win by the way. :clap:

Bet you wish you hadn't bought all those sale titles now. :lol:

I really rate them both and have the oop Criterion DVDs. I'd love to see some definitive Blus released though. The Aussie discs are supposed to be pretty bad.

Yes, it was slimmer pickings having cleaned up somewhat in their last sale. However, I think for the most part the titles I chose weren't in the sale and are ones I wouldn't have necessarily purchased (I was going to pick the Romero releases separately, Shrinking Man when it was on sale and the others I'd been curious about seeing but not enough to lock in a purchase as yet).

Nostalgic 3rd February 2018 04:55 PM

Picked up Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit in cex today, looking forward to Detroit, not sure about ZDT

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd February 2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 564937)
Picked up Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit in cex today, looking forward to Detroit, not sure about ZDT

I have deep misgivings about the use of torture portrayed in the film, but I do think Zero Dark Thirty is extremely well made and engrossing.

Detroit is very uncomfortable viewing, but utterly compelling and very important in explaining why race relations are as they are in many US cities, particularly with the police.

Justin101 3rd February 2018 06:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple from the last few days, Zombi Dawn of the Dead from Amazon.it, Dellamorte Dellamore courtesy of our very own Treb and the Sherlock Holmes moves cost me £3.50 for the both from CEX!

nosferatu42 3rd February 2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 564924)

I enjoy them both but have always preferred "Blood for Dracula" myself.:cool:
I always find it really entertaining when i give it a watch.

Rik 3rd February 2018 08:47 PM

I’ve not watched either in years, think I’ll dig the DVDs out this week :nod:

profondo rosso 4th February 2018 04:34 PM

19 Attachment(s)
Not posted for a while but purchases since Xmas. Excuse the sideways images uploaded off phone.

Attachment 201023

Attachment 201024

Attachment 201025

Attachment 201026

Attachment 201027

Attachment 201028

Attachment 201029

Attachment 201030

Attachment 201031

Attachment 201032

Attachment 201033

Attachment 201034

Attachment 201035

Attachment 201036

Attachment 201037

Attachment 201038

Attachment 201039

Attachment 201040

Attachment 201041

iank 5th February 2018 12:28 AM

Arrived:

http://images2.static-bluray.com/mov...010_medium.jpg

SymbioticFunction 5th February 2018 09:51 AM

Picked up a Blade Runner 2049 blu-ray from Sainsburys. You also get a free Philip K Dick Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep book. Which is nice. :)

My wife and I have the day off so we will watch this afternoon. This will be a first-time viewing and I am quite excited about it. :) Hope the film is as good as reviews suggest.

Rik 5th February 2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 565037)
Picked up a Blade Runner 2049 blu-ray from Sainsburys. You also get a free Philip K Dick Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep book. Which is nice. :)

My wife and I have the day off so we will watch this afternoon. This will be a first-time viewing and I am quite excited about it. :) Hope the film is as good as reviews suggest.

Thanks for sharing, I was going to get it from Amazon, but I’m all for a free copy of the book :thumb:

BTW, I thought the film was fantastic :nod: