Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

pedromonkey 4th May 2012 11:45 PM

first off, about the Film Noir boxset, it's a cracking collection of films for the price, my only problem with it is that The Big Steal is the colourised version and unfortunately takes away the PQ, other than that it's a great set, my faves were The Killers, and This Gun For Hire. The opening scene set in a diner in The Killers was definitely an influence of Tarantino.

Anyways, went a bit blu-ray crazy today, what with Axel's free shipping and a rather likeable chunk of money appearing in my account...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Criterion7 5th May 2012 01:42 AM

Needed a doctor who fix and ordered

Doctor Who: New Beginnings(Keeper of Trakken/Logopolis/Castravolva)

Doctor Who: Deadly Assassin


I've wanted the return of the master trilogy for awhile. Deadly Assassin is one of my personal all-time favorite episodes up there with Genesis of the Daleks.

artisturn 5th May 2012 02:13 AM

Best Buy

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season 1, Volume 1 (1964)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season 1, Volume 2 (1965)

On sale for $9.99 each. I really dug this series when I was a kid and I hope they hold up.

Samurai Princess (2009) $4.99

This was a blind buy but it looks interesting.

Criterion7 5th May 2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artisturn (Post 238835)
Best Buy

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season 1, Volume 1 (1964)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season 1, Volume 2 (1965)

On sale for $9.99 each. I really dug this series when I was a kid and I hope they hold up.



This was a blind buy but it looks interesting.

Great buys. Future Shop had a sale here last year and I have the first 3 seasons.

artisturn 5th May 2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 238837)
Great buys. Future Shop had a sale here last year and I have the first 3 seasons.

Yeah I really hope the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea hold up better then Lost in Space did.

I tried to watch a few episodes of Lost in Space from the second season and I couldn't make it through one episode.

Criterion7 5th May 2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artisturn (Post 238838)
Yeah I really hope the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea hold up better then Lost in Space did.

I tried to watch a few episodes of Lost in Space from the second season and I couldn't make it through one episode.

Lost in Space has a huge cheese factor. The biggest difference is that Voyage like Man from Uncle started as a heavy spy/cold war type of feel. First season is black and white and was more serious and considered higher quality than the later camp seasons.

I personally like both but from what you say you made the right buy. The first season holds up pretty well and it has a great cast and guests as well.

Kyle 5th May 2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 238787)
I've got a few of these and the two that really show the format are Alien and Apocalypto - incredible. My vote for all time mind blowing picture quality is The Skin I Live In - it's like looking in a mirror. I loved Taxi Driver too, among 100 others...

might get the skin i live in then :)

last night i watched the signal again but this time on BD, to be honest i couldnt
really see much difference from the dvd , anyone else noticed this?

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th May 2012 07:12 AM

Ordered the original My Bloody Valentine blu-ray from Planet Axel. Apparently it's out of print already, but Axel says it's available from their supplier.....we shall see!

sawyer6 5th May 2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 238829)
first off, about the Film Noir boxset, it's a cracking collection of films for the price, my only problem with it is that The Big Steal is the colourised version and unfortunately takes away the PQ, other than that it's a great set

Yes,that's the only problem with the set.I don't like colourised movies and that made me to rate the movie lower

Criterion7 5th May 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 238855)
Yes,that's the only problem with the set.I don't like colourised movies and that made me to rate the movie lower

Colorized film noir is not good. I've stuck with the r1 Warner film noir sets. Really top quality stuff.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.