Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bdc 31st March 2010 01:46 PM

Deadful Melody (Tai Seng/R1)

oaxaca 31st March 2010 02:04 PM

Demons 1&2
Nightmare City
sleepless (my first Arrow:D)
who saw her die? (my 2nd Shameless :D)
Magnificent Warriors (HKLegends)
Crime Story (HKL)

Gojirosan 31st March 2010 03:15 PM

The post brought the MGM double bill release of Daniel Haller's two AIP Lovecraft adaptations: Die Monster Die! and The Dunwich Horror.

Tried to watch Die Monster Die! as I have never seen it (know The Dunwich Horror well), but fell asleep due to man-flu!

Was surprised by a couple of things in the half hour or so that I saw: It's been relocated to Britain with Arkham now being a quaint little English country town! And I was jarred by the print MGM used. Whilst the picture is, for the most part, sharp and colours good, there seems to be quite a lot of damage to it - scratches, white spots etc and the edges of the 'scope frame seem a bit fuzzy compared to the central image. And although it is meant to be uncut there are a few really clumsy scene changes that lead me to believe that there has been more serious print damage and some frames have had to be removed. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know in case anyone was thinking of buying it.

I shall watch it all later and put a review up. Also looking forward to seeing what MGM came up with for The Dunwich Horror in terms of print quality. ITV (of all companies!) used to show a cracking, luscious version with rich colours and sharp edges. Panned and scanned though. So fingers crossed!

nekromantik 31st March 2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 70765)
Demons 1&2
Nightmare City
sleepless (my first Arrow:D)
who saw her die? (my 2nd Shameless :D)
Magnificent Warriors (HKLegends)
Crime Story (HKL)

Nice one
Its a pretty good Argento flick :)
Prefer it to Terror at the Opera.

oaxaca 31st March 2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 70782)
Nice one

I'm a huge fan of Opera, so I hope I do too :p

pedromonkey 31st March 2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 70764)
Deadful Melody (Tai Seng/R1)

being a Tai seng release probably gonna be a 'Deadful' Picture....see what i did there.

The Queen's Messenger brought me these lovelies yesterday.....

Dead & Buried: 2 disc ABUK edition (thought this was the Optimum single disc so im pretty ****ing chuffed with this as it cost me like 2 quid)
People That Time forgot (MGM) (i believe my Doug McClure Collection is complete)
Streets Of Fire (korean dvd)
BeastMaster (korean dvd)

Sargento 31st March 2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 70755)
I'm a little confused why everyone seems to be buying 2012. Isn't it meant to be a rather diabolical film? I've only heard bad things about it. Strange :confused:

Like other Emmerich movies, its mindless fun and truelly gorgeous on BR!!!!

Sargento 31st March 2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 70782)
Nice one

Sleepless was almost a return to form for Argento ... Von Sydow is a bit irritating, as is the bloody nursery rhyme!

oaxaca 1st April 2010 07:56 AM

After really enjoying "King of New York" I thought I'd get another Abel Ferrara film "Driller Killer" (especially considering its £1.50).

Other films I've just ordered at nice prices =

Tombs of the Blind Dead (blue underground)
Q-the winged serpent (AB)
Living Dead Trilogy (AB)

bdc 1st April 2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 70818)
being a Tai seng release probably gonna be a 'Deadful' Picture....see what i did there.

According to what I've read it should be better than the HK disc...will have to check it out. ;)