Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 253153)
It's very common throughout Lancashire and Yorkshire to call trousers pants. I'm not saying that everyone who lives in Northern England calls them pants, though.

I'm living in 'pants' country at the moment, and I take extra care to call them trousers at every available opportunity. :nod:

I don't live in Yorkshire or Lancashire, so that would be why. Do you get any strange looks when you purposely say trousers to people?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:26 PM

If anyone unfamiliar with this place just stumbled on this thread, they might think there is a bizarre clothing section in Cult Labs!

The one way to get it back on subject is for someone to say what they thought about The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 253158)
I don't live in Yorkshire or Lancashire, so that would be why. Do you get any strange looks when you purposely say trousers to people?

Yeah, people seem to think it's strange when I run up to them in street screaming 'trousers' in their faces for some reason... :crazy: :D

It doesn't come up much in normal conversation, although they always know what I mean. Usually I'm the jerk pretending that they mean underwear when they say pants.

gag 25th June 2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 253158)

Im from lancashire way but living darlington direction and trust me its not as pants as some of lancashire i mainly use the word pants to describe something that is rubbish

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 253159)

The one way to get it back on subject is for someone to say what they thought about The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants!

Underwear or trousers, Nos? ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 253162)
Underwear or trousers, Nos? ;)

I don't know – I haven't seen the film!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 253161)
Im from lancashire way but living darlington direction and trust me its not as pants as some of lancashire i mainly use the word pants to describe something that is rubbish

We've gone from 'literal' pants to 'slang' pants! :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 253163)
I don't know – I haven't seen the film!

Me either, mate! :lol:

Gojirosan 25th June 2012 07:31 PM

You do hear "pants" for "trousers" around here, more so out in Woollyback land.

Mostly hear "kecks" nearer to Liverpool. I would say "trousers" or "kecks". It would never occur to me to say "pants" for outerwear, though people I know near St Helens say it.

To keep it relevant, I heartily enjoyed seeing Rik Mayall cavorting in the red, spikey, rubber pants in Guest House Paradiso again today! :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 253166)
Mostly hear "kecks" nearer to Liverpool.

Every time I hear that word, it reminds me of Red Dwarf. :D