Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

BioZombie 10th January 2011 05:00 PM

Dirty Harry

Had a look at this today as far as pic quality is concerned. IMO it looks great, has some grain and quite a bit of detail (I'm no expert though).

Where I thought it really shined was the audio. Lalo Schifrin 's music sounded really crisp and the bass really makes itself known.

Worth getting.

nekromantik 10th January 2011 06:05 PM

am tempted to get Last Exorcism!

strange how the studio let the extras be rated 18 when the film is 15.

oaxaca 10th January 2011 07:44 PM

Ordered:

Shogun Assassin Ltd edition Steelbook... Can't wait to receive this one :D

Bought:

Boys from Brazil Strange story about Josef Mengele, Nazi's and cloning Hitler but its a fun film and has a cast to die for; Sir Lawrence Olivier, Gregory Peck (delivering a demonic performance as Mengele!), James Mason, Denholm Elliot (briefly) and is set in at least four different countries.

Watched: Silver Saddle, Fistful of Dollers, For a Few Dollers More & The Good, Bad and the Ugly over the weekend. FAFDM would be my favourite of the four spaghetti westerns, but TGTB&TU has definitely got the best Morricone score. Gian Maria Volonte and Van Cleef are dynamite on screen! Loved Geoffrey Lewis as Snake in Lucio Fulci's SilverSaddle, the films score is pretty atrocious though :p

the blob 10th January 2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 121078)

Boys from Brazil Strange story about Josef Mengele, Nazi's and cloning Hitler but its a fun film and has a cast to die for; Sir Lawrence Olivier, Gregory Peck, James Mason, Denholm Elliot (briefly) and is set in at least four different countries.

What's the quality like on this one? I've always really liked the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 08:00 PM

It ain't mind blowing mate,but is a marked improvement over the SDVD,and I agree-it's a great film!:nod:

Watched DEEP RED last night.Looked bloody sumptuous!:happy:

the blob 10th January 2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 121084)
It ain't mind blowing mate,but is a marked improvement over the SDVD,and I agree-it's a great film!:nod:

Added to the ever-growing list! :rolleyes:

oaxaca 10th January 2011 08:05 PM

I would say the transfer is superb for a film from 1978. Its sharp, colours are really strong and grain very minimal.

bdc 10th January 2011 08:06 PM

How's pic quality of Siver Saddle Oaxaca?

oaxaca 10th January 2011 08:17 PM

2 different versions of the film on the BD.... the main version is filtered to remove ALL the grain, which is the one I watched and personally thought was a very nice looking, although I have read posts on other forums saying using such heavy filtering/DNR is an atrocity because it removes fine detail.

Personally I thought the detail, colours, etc were fantastic and made the film look virtually brand new, although the image certainly looked a little 'digital', not sure how to describe it, kind of processed. The other version is available in the extras section and supposedly looks much more natural with grain present. I havn't seen this version yet so can't judge.

Here's a DVDBeaver style comparison:

Silver Saddle DVD & Blu-Ray screenshots | Spaghetti Western DVD Database

bdc 10th January 2011 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info!
Will be ordering this soon. ;)