Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 281870)
Just been taking a look at it on blu and it looks great without losing the gritty look of the film. Basically it's 4:3 and keeps the natural grainy look while giving more detail, the extras look like there going to be interesting as well.

I was really impressed by the picture quality, something I mentioned in my review.

Rik 14th October 2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 281871)
I was really impressed by the picture quality, something I mentioned in my review.

Great review as always Nos, I expect I'll pick this up in the not too distant future

KPWNINJA 14th October 2012 02:24 PM

I have just managed to pick up the Wishmaster DVDs 1-4 on ebay for the grand total of £5.71! :eek:

Rik 14th October 2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPWNINJA (Post 281880)
I have just managed to pick up the Wishmaster DVDs 1-4 on ebay for the grand total of £5.71! :eek:

Only seen the first one but that is a bargain!

Nordicdusk 14th October 2012 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 86388

Attachment 86389

Just found these in a new store that just oped near my house where everything is €1.49. Have no idea what they are like but not really much out of pocket after picking them up.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 281886)
Attachment 86388

Attachment 86389

Just found these in a new store that just oped near my house where everything is €1.49. Have no idea what they are like but not really much out of pocket after picking them up.

Them is very good. A superior home invasion movie.

I believe Chaw is cut.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPWNINJA (Post 281880)

A very good series. Andrew Divoff's Wishmaster character is a worthy addition to the regular horror icons.

Rik 14th October 2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 281890)
A very good series. Andrew Divoff's Wishmaster character is a worthy addition to the regular horror icons.

Indeed, I have the Movie Maniacs Wishmaster action figure, before I boxed them all up when the kids came along, he looked good next other icons like Freddy, Jason, Leatherface etc. I might have to get them all out again now my boys are older and less likely to get scared

Nordicdusk 14th October 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 281889)
Them is very good. A superior home invasion movie.

I believe Chaw is cut.

Them sounds really good. Shame Chaw is cut any idea if they are big cuts.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 281892)
Them sounds really good. Shame Chaw is cut any idea if they are big cuts.

Its 8 seconds of animal cruelty.

James Morton 14th October 2012 03:13 PM

CHAW is cut by 8 seconds - good old BBFC:rolleyes:

Cuts were made to remove sight of unsimulated cruelty to animals (a boar being chased and attacked by dogs; a live deer strung up and struggling on a frame; a live eel being cooked). Cuts made in accordance with BBFC policy and Guidelines.

Nordicdusk 14th October 2012 03:23 PM

Cheers for the replies lads. I can live without the animal cruelty so no loss.

Handyman Joe 14th October 2012 08:53 PM

The Wicker Tree - I knew this was going to be bad but nothing could have prepared me for the full tedious horror of this film. Where to begin sifting through this wreckage? Firstly, I've been to wedding venues scarier than the mileu of this movie - where exactly is it meant to be set? There's the oblitigary toothless locals peering round corners, but mainly it takes place in some kind of well manicured hunting estate - zero atmosphere to be had here folks. There's attempted comedy - a man with a talking raven! - but it's in no way funny, there's nudity but it's in no way sexy, there's no scares whatsoever so it's in no..... you get the picture. Why is this all so bloody dull? - I can't even get worked up about the aggressively racist depiction of Scotland - there isn't even a pub or bookies in sight - and, as for the ending, well, imagine a minor conflagaration in The Beechgrove Garden and you're way overestimating its power. An all time shitty, wretched dud.

Frankie Teardrop 14th October 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 281833)
ALYCE, 3 quid from Morrisons. Anyone seen it and if so is it any good? It was a blind buy for me.

It's good. I think I reviewed it a couple of months ago, but basically it's a vaguely trippy revenge flick which follows 'Alyce' as she gets into a drug fueled oblivion after the ecstasy roof top death fall of one of her former mates. Then in the last 20 minutes it shifts gear into gratuitous gore flick mode. Pretty interesting indie.

Make Them Die Slowly 14th October 2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 282064)
The Wicker Tree - I knew this was going to be bad but nothing could have prepared me for the full tedious horror of this film. Where to begin sifting through this wreckage? Firstly, I've been to wedding venues scarier than the mileu of this movie - where exactly is it meant to be set? There's the oblitigary toothless locals peering round corners, but mainly it takes place in some kind of well manicured hunting estate - zero atmosphere to be had here folks. There's attempted comedy - a man with a talking raven! - but it's in no way funny, there's nudity but it's in no way sexy, there's no scares whatsoever so it's in no..... you get the picture. Why is this all so bloody dull? - I can't even get worked up about the aggressively racist depiction of Scotland - there isn't even a pub or bookies in sight - and, as for the ending, well, imagine a minor conflagaration in The Beechgrove Garden and you're way overestimating its power. An all time shitty, wretched dud.

Nice review. When I watched the film I had to keep reminding myself that it was a companion piece to "The Wicker Man" and not some crazed homage to British sex comedies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 282093)
Nice review. When I watched the film I had to keep reminding myself that it was a companion piece to "The Wicker Man" and not some crazed homage to British sex comedies.

And once again i want to watch it. :nod:

It sits on a shelf unwatched. I preordered it then never bothered viewing it as absolutely no one had anything good to say.

Rik 14th October 2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 282105)
And once again i want to watch it. :nod:

It sits on a shelf unwatched. I preordered it then never bothered viewing it as absolutely no one had anything good to say.

Thankfully, I rented it instead of buying it. It really is "a pile of wank"© MTDS!!

JoshuaKaitlyn 14th October 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 273529)
The Russ Meyer collection box set!

Damn you for making this post!

Yesterday, at midnight, they had two copies of this set for £16.75, but I was too 'tired and emotional' - i.e drunk - to order it.

Bad things seem to happen to me when I order things from Amazon or Arrow films when the combination of alcohol and credit card are involved!!!

Today, the price has gone up to £20.26. Still cheap I admit, but it has definately increased

Curse those of you who purchased this between midnight and time of writing!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the same thing with the Meyer set! Left it too late and eventually went for the £20.26! Just finished 'Up!' that was certainly different!:)

oaxaca 15th October 2012 09:33 AM

Picked up these DVDs from Head earlier... The 2 Full Moon's were £5 each and TCM3 was £2:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 282119)
I did the same thing with the Meyer set! Left it too late and eventually went for the £20.26! Just finished 'Up!' that was certainly different!:)

Up! is my favourite Russ Meyer film – completely barmy and with a Greek chorus which makes things even more complicated!

oaxaca 15th October 2012 10:28 AM

After reading an article in the 1st Darkside magazine (available to read free on their site!) about the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA film releases over the last century I decided to buy the 1989 Englund-starring version released last week on BD in Germany as its one I haven't seen. Also couldn't resist getting MIA3 (The Chucksterrr!) whilst I was on amazon.de :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Worked out at ~£12 each inc. p&p which I thought was very reasonable. Both BDs are released by Ascot Elite by the way.

Rik 15th October 2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 282174)
After reading an article in the 1st Darkside magazine (available to read free on their site!) about the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA film releases over the last century I decided to buy the 1989 Englund-starring version released last week on BD in Germany as its one I haven't seen. Also couldn't resist getting MIA3 whilst I was on amazon.de :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Worked out at ~£12 each inc. p&p which I thought was very reasonable. Both BDs are released by Ascot Elite by the way.

I forgot this was out, it's my favourite version of the tale, I have the MGM R1 DVD, it was that first issue of The Dark Side that inspired me to seek it out on VHS 20 years ago, excellent film!

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 282163)

Pit and The Pendulum is one of the many DVDs I have in carrier bags unwatched. I do love Stuart Gordon's films, though.

oaxaca 15th October 2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 282212)
Pit and The Pendulum is one of the many DVDs I have in carrier bags unwatched. I do live Stuart Gordon's films, though.

You must have quite an exciting life!! :p

Vampix 15th October 2012 12:16 PM

Just bought the el cheapo Boulevard Entertainment DVDs of Slugs and The Stuff.I've never seen either before. :)

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 282224)
You must have quite an exciting life!! :p

:lol: that was a spelling mistake that I've since corrected (damn predictive text :mmph:)

Rik 15th October 2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 282228)
Just bought the el cheapo Boulevard Entertainment DVDs of Slugs and The Stuff.I've never seen either before. :)

Both great fun, not sure about the DVDs mind

darthelvis 15th October 2012 12:34 PM

Picked up Brothers Bloom and Dark Shadows on blu ray.

keirarts 15th October 2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 282233)
Both great fun, not sure about the DVDs mind

The boulevard releases in both cases are both direct ports of the anchor bay ones, menu screens and all, so pretty good releases in terms of pq ect.

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 282237)
Picked up Brothers Bloom and Dark Shadows on blu ray.

Dark Shadows was one of the worst recent films I've seen

Rik 15th October 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 282244)
Dark Shadows was one of the worst recent films I've seen

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard mixed reviews about it, I love Tim Burtons films, even more so the ones with Depp in, Edward Scissorhands is one of my favourites

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 01:28 PM

Yeah, he's a favourite of mine as well, but this film was abysmal. I couldn't believe it when I saw it because I was looking so forward to it.

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 01:42 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Traded a few more films today. Here's what I got with store credit:

*not seen

Attachment 86457*Attachment 86458Attachment 86459Attachment 86460Attachment 86461*Attachment 86462*Attachment 86463*(steelbook)Attachment 86464*

Wes 15th October 2012 01:45 PM

Marc, that reminds me that I must watch the b/w version of The Mist...

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 282266)
Marc, that reminds me that I must watch the b/w version of The Mist...

I've seen this The Mist and I've seen Carpenter's The Fog, but I can't say I'm familiar with a b/w The Mist. Care to fill me in on this, please, Wes?

keirarts 15th October 2012 02:27 PM

Theres a 2nd version of Frank Darabonts THE MIST on the special edition in black and white, its the directors preferred look for the film, the studio would not let him release it theatrically in B+W.

Criterion7 15th October 2012 02:46 PM

Picked a couple up while shopping:

http://image.musicimport.biz/sdimage...5828500404.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...uIUWn0SiJKAUeA

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...3Ax4spCk-j9BPg

ArgentoFan1987 15th October 2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 282277)
Theres a 2nd version of Frank Darabonts THE MIST on the special edition in black and white, its the directors preferred look for the film, the studio would not let him release it theatrically in B+W.

Looking at the special features, it doesn't seem to be on mine :(

Hammer time 15th October 2012 03:22 PM

Got the prowler on blu from BU,If you hate DNR you'll love it,It still has a grindhouse/vhs feel,grain to the max

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2012 03:23 PM

My Halloween 4 & 5 (or IV & V) BDs arrived today, pictured here with the man himself, albeit 18" tall!

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/.../Halloween.jpg