Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

SymbioticFunction 11th September 2018 04:01 PM

Picked up the re-issue of Edward Scissorhands on blu-ray. Skimmed through it out of curiosity and it looks fantastic. Should be fun to properly watch.

btw Been looking at my bd collection. I own 625 blu-rays. Of those, over 385 are films that I previously owned on dvd.

I'm gonna give 4K uhd technology a miss as I have absolutely zero desire to start spending lots of money on upgrading films again. Standard 1080p blu-ray is good enough for me.

WowBobWow 11th September 2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 587685)
I got the Leave it to Beaver complete box set and The Bridge series 1-3 in today's post from Music Magpie. Beaver was a bargain at £12 as normally retails for £100+.

The rest are charity shop purchases which cost £3 for the lot. Bodies, Rest and Motion was the most expensive of the pick ups at a pound but the others were part of a three for a pound offer.

Exotica is a fantastic film, probably my favourite from Egoyan.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 587690)
btw Been looking at my bd collection. I own 625 blu-rays. Of those, over 385 are films that I previously owned on dvd.

I'm gonna give 4K uhd technology a miss as I have absolutely zero desire to start spending lots of money on upgrading films again. Standard 1080p blu-ray is good enough for me.

That was my opinion as well, but then I bought a new TV which came with a UHD player, decided to upgrade my A/V receiver as well, and now tend to buy the 4K Ultra HD releases of newly released films (Avengers: Infinity War, Dunkirk, A Quiet Place) as well as the occasional upgrade when I like the price!

SymbioticFunction 11th September 2018 04:34 PM

I suppose that the prices will eventually come down but brand new uhd is just so darn expensive. Back when I bought a Black Panther bd, I saw that the supermarket was selling the uhd version for 10 pounds more. A 25 pound asking price for a widely available film is crazy imo. There's only a 5 pound difference between dvd and blu-ray!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 587693)
I suppose that the prices will eventually come down but brand new uhd is just so darn expensive. Back when I bought a Black Panther bd, I saw that the supermarket was selling the uhd version for 10 pounds more. A 25 pound asking price for a widely available film is crazy imo. There's only a 5 pound difference between dvd and blu-ray!

I suppose it was like that when Blu-ray was the brand-new format and very few people had the players. Like you say, prices will drop so the UHD discs are priced like BDs are now.

SymbioticFunction 11th September 2018 05:02 PM

If I'd spent 25 pounds on Black Panther, I may very well have topped myself! :) (I was really underwhelmed by it).

Crimson Blade 11th September 2018 06:43 PM

Not changing my 1080P Sony Bravia until it finally kicks the bucket.

And it could last me for years yet. And by then 8K may be the new flavour of the month. :lol:

nosferatu42 11th September 2018 09:54 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Pick ups from the last few weeks.

Got these off Trebor last week.:cool:

Attachment 208864 Attachment 208865

Attachment 208866 Attachment 208867

Been on a Naschy trip lately, so this goes into the pile of his films to watch.
Never seen any of these Filipino horrors so thought it was about time i gave 'em a going over.

Then ordered these online to continue the blood island films.

Attachment 208868 Attachment 208869

And continuing the Eddie Romero connection got this which i've always though looks incredibly stupid but entertaining.:pop2:

Attachment 208870

nosferatu42 11th September 2018 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple from a car boot sale. 50p each.:cool:

Attachment 208871 Attachment 208872

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 587722)
A couple from a car boot sale. 50p each.:cool:

Attachment 208872

Love Bad Biology. :nod: