LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2015, 11:25 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
If you grew up[ watching them I can see the nostalgic appeal, which I used to have, and I do own the films on multiple formats even though each one was proclaimed to be 'for the last time ever...' but I have long since lost any sort of love for the movies and actually find them a little boring now.

Nice to dip into now and then, but I can't watch them all the way through any more.
I remember one of them being on TV when I was young, but found it boring and went outside to talk to my Mum and the next door neighbour instead!
Justin101 likes this.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran

I should have done that, I would have saved myself a small fortune

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th July 2015, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I much prefer the films of Paul WS Anderson over the critically acclaimed Paul Thomas Anderson.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran

I'm torn on this one, I like a select few from both!

Event Horizon and Resident Evil vs. There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights!

Old 9th July 2015, 11:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm torn on this one, I like a select few from both!

Event Horizon and Resident Evil vs. There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights!
There's only Boogie Nights for me. I liked There Will be Blood but there's no way i'd sit through it again.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 9th July 2015, 12:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When I described Top Gun as homoerotic propaganda, I may have been slightly disengenious cough. I found it to be extremely homoerotic, and I also found it to be propaganda. War is sexy etc. I could have saved myself aw this by merely putting a forward slash betwixt those words.

Being the rightish age for SW, had the comic etc etc, I never saw what everyone else saw apparently, as I have nae love for Boba Fett (what the hell does he do to inspire such devotion anyhow? Aim badly, and then die). In my day heroes lasted longer hahaha.
mr 420 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th July 2015, 01:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
When I described Top Gun as homoerotic propaganda, I may have been slightly disengenious cough. I found it to be extremely homoerotic, and I also found it to be propaganda. War is sexy etc. I could have saved myself aw this by merely putting a forward slash betwixt those words.
From Wikipedia:

A motion picture producer, John Davis, claimed that "Top Gun was a recruiting video for the Navy. It really helped their recruiting. People saw the movie and said, 'Wow! I want to be a pilot.'"

The United States Navy stated that after the release of the film that the number of young men who enlisted, wanting to be Naval aviators, went up by 500 percent.

Paramount Pictures offered to place a 90 second Navy recruiting advertisement at the beginning of the videocassette for Top Gun, in exchange for $1 million in credit towards their debt to the Navy for production assistance. An internal memo to the Pentagon from an advertising agency rejected the offer, noting that "Both movies are already wonderful recruiting tools for the military, particularly the Navy, and to add a recruiting commercial onto the head of what is already a two-hour recruiting commercial is redundant."
Old 9th July 2015, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran

I personally liked the homoerotic overtones

Old 9th July 2015, 01:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I personally liked the homoerotic overtones
This is a clip from the 1994 film Sleep with Me:

Justin101 and Boo Radley like this.
Old 9th July 2015, 01:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
This is a clip from the 1994 film Sleep with Me:

Sid: You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest ****ing scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.

Duane: Oh, come on.

Sid: Top Gun is ****ing great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots.

Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.

Sid: It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man. You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the ****ing line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.

Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?

Sid: Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie... He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the ****, what the **** is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'll do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it. Okay, now let me just ask you - I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right? All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting ****ing force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they ****ing land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last ****ing line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! ****in' A, man!
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!