Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2016, 12:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Avengers (1998) - Universally loathed, hell it doesn't even show on Google when you type in The Avengers. The stars lack of chemistry is almost embarrassing.

Showgirls (1995) - Gratuitous nudity, terrible simulated sex, star Kyle MacLachlan hates it. I have a box set complete with shot glasses, playing cards and er' nipple pasties.

Sucker Punch (2011) - Everyone on the forum hates it so it must be a guilty pleasure. I love it.

Blonde and Blonder (2007) - Top acting talent in Denise Richards and Pamela Anderson probably just being themselves.

Along Came Polly (2004) Every blokes guilty pleasure list should include at least one film by Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller. This one features the two of them together.

Two Moon Junction (1988) - Definitely a guilty pleasure from my teens. See also
Full Body Massage (1995) - Where Mimi Rogers has her breasts rubbed for 90 minutes.

The Bitch (1979) - Joan Collins on overdrive. Tacky and terrible.

Chocolat (2000) - Temptation and chocolate with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. Actually a fine film but definitely not Cult Labs material. The book's a great read too.

The Happy Hooker Goes to Hollywood (1980) - Martine Beswick plays madame Xaviera Hollander in this allegedly true life memoir. Sleazy and camp at the same time. Have you ever seen Adam West simulate a blow job?
Fairplay Dem, you got some proper shite on there.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
The Avengers (1998) - Universally loathed, hell it doesn't even show on Google when you type in The Avengers. The stars lack of chemistry is almost embarrassing.

Showgirls (1995) - Gratuitous nudity, terrible simulated sex, star Kyle MacLachlan hates it. I have a box set complete with shot glasses, playing cards and er' nipple pasties.

Sucker Punch (2011) - Everyone on the forum hates it so it must be a guilty pleasure. I love it.

Blonde and Blonder (2007) - Top acting talent in Denise Richards and Pamela Anderson probably just being themselves.

Along Came Polly (2004) Every blokes guilty pleasure list should include at least one film by Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller. This one features the two of them together.

Two Moon Junction (1988) - Definitely a guilty pleasure from my teens. See also
Full Body Massage (1995) - Where Mimi Rogers has her breasts rubbed for 90 minutes.

The Bitch (1979) - Joan Collins on overdrive. Tacky and terrible.

Chocolat (2000) - Temptation and chocolate with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. Actually a fine film but definitely not Cult Labs material. The book's a great read too.

The Happy Hooker Goes to Hollywood (1980) - Martine Beswick plays madame Xaviera Hollander in this allegedly true life memoir. Sleazy and camp at the same time. Have you ever seen Adam West simulate a blow job?
I've only seen Showgirls (bad but mildly endearing) and Sucker Punch (self-indulgent wank-fantasy extended music video garbage) so can't comment on the rest.

I really want to see Two Moon Junction after first learning of its existence via 88's release - Sherilyn Fenn had a lot to do with that though You've kind of sold me on The Happy Hooker Goes to Hollywood based on your description too.

I also want to see a photo of you in the members' pic thread modelling your nipple pasties.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:31 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I'm surprised to see this in any list that's about guilty pleasures very very good film!

I've been (seriously) recommended Showgirls by my flatmate, I've never seen it but he swears by it I'm shocked that Verhoeven got the money to make the afore mentioned Starship Troopers after the critical mauling that Showgirls got on release
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th May 2016, 12:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm surprised to see this in any list that's about guilty pleasures very very good film!

I've been (seriously) recommended Showgirls by my flatmate, I've never seen it but he swears by it I'm shocked that Verhoeven got the money to make the afore mentioned Starship Troopers after the critical mauling that Showgirls got on release
Chocolat is a very good film, as i say it ain't CL's material though and chocolate is the ultimate guilty pleasure as well.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but i'm sure you'll love Showgirls.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Hope you don't take this the wrong way but i'm sure you'll love Showgirls.
I'm well up for watching it with an open mind but I don't want to buy it

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th May 2016, 12:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've only seen Showgirls (bad but mildly endearing) and Sucker Punch (self-indulgent wank-fantasy extended music video garbage) so can't comment on the rest.

I really want to see Two Moon Junction after first learning of its existence via 88's release - Sherilyn Fenn had a lot to do with that though You've kind of sold me on The Happy Hooker Goes to Hollywood based on your description too.

I also want to see a photo of you in the members' pic thread modelling your nipple pasties.
If you're hoping to see Martine bare all in The Happy Hooker...then you're gonna' be lucky.

As for Sucker Punch being self indulgent wank fantasy? That probably applies more to Two Moon Junction and Full Body Massage.

The fact you dislike it so much puts it firmly in the guilty pleasure bracket.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'll just add there are actually 3 Happy Hooker films.

See also The Happy Hooker and The Happy Hooker goes to Washington.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I've heard Chocolat is supposed to be a pretty well made film.

Quote:
If you're hoping to see Martine bare all in The Happy Hooker...then you're gonna' be lucky.

As for Sucker Punch being self indulgent wank fantasy? That probably applies more to Two Moon Junction and Full Body Massage.

The fact you dislike it so much puts it firmly in the guilty pleasure bracket.
There's so much negativity I could spout about Sucker Punch that I could probably go through a few keyboards in the process but I must. restrain. myself. ...

We're still awaiting those pics by the way...
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I'll just add there are actually 3 Happy Hooker films.

See also The Happy Hooker and The Happy Hooker goes to Washington.
There are three?!

Are the sequels as 'good' as the original though?
Old 10th May 2016, 12:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
There are three?!

Are the sequels as 'good' as the original though?
Well i actually like them all. But due to Beswick playing the hooker in the second film it's my favourite.

Like this? Share it using the links below!