Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2016, 11:54 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's not slow nor is it shoe gazing sci-fi. You'll hate it.
I've already seen it tonnes of times you cheeky bugger! I damn near wore out my VHS when I first bought it on release and watched it repeatedly. I have to admit I don't own it anymore though so will need to pick it up again at some point.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
On plenty of guilty pleasure lists I have seen online big trouble in little china keeps popping up so I agree it's the people you are admitting it too rather than the films themselves.
I notice Big Trouble too. Every week when you announce the topic i tend to do some googling see what is generally considered a such and such film. But this week I'm amazed of some of the stuff online that seems to be considered guilty pleasures. Arnies Last Action Hero keeps popping up to. Madness.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:56 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really want to check out Starship Troopers again now thanks to this thread!
I've already been pricing it up on Amazon

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th May 2016, 11:56 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I doubt anyone could enjoy Bridget Jones and the Edge of Reason.
I'm sure there are more people who enjoy that and films like it than a lot of the z-grade horror that we watch.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:58 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I doubt anyone could enjoy Bridget Jones and the Edge of Reason.
That one scene where she ineptly skis down the mountain and into the chemist where she mimes to buy a pregnancy test has me cringing for my life

Old 10th May 2016, 12:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That one scene where she ineptly skis down the mountain and into the chemist where she mimes to buy a pregnancy test has me cringing for my life
Nah Edge of Reason is crap.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Nah Edge of Reason is crap.
yes I know I hate it, that's the one scene which nearly kills me it's so embarrassing, that and the Thai prison...

Old 10th May 2016, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
yes I know I hate it, that's the one scene which nearly kills me it's so embarrassing, that and the Thai prison...
Oh, and the fight in the fountain...

Old 10th May 2016, 12:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
A definite guilty pleasure. Absolutely terrible film.

Clueless and Legally Blonde are classed as classic comedies rather then guilt trips.
Pain and Gain is the perfect definition for me. Objectively terrible, but I absolutely loved it, fascinating, interesting, hilarious, well shot, and just good quality (poor taste) fun. I gave it a 10 when I first watched it and have everytime since

As for the other two, they are definitely comedy classics, extremely intelligent and funny and defy cliche and stereotypes with great casts, but the reason they're up there is they're the kind of movies which everyone who hasn't seen them judges you for saying you like them solely on their face value. However I stand by them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
If you say so.

It goes back to what I was saying about the bulk of your audience and about how they react to these films really. Personal opinion and subjectivity heavily influences this too.

There are plenty of people who would consider the Bridget Jones films to be brilliant for instance, and whilst I consider them to be the scrapings of Satan's underbelly, if I were to enjoy them then I guess they could be considered 'guilty' in the Cult Labs environment - not so much in mainstream culture.

The problem is everyone has their own benchmarks of what they consider 'guilty' not only based on the film but on the audience you're pitching it too I guess. Fulci films could be considered a guilty pleasure if I was talking to a load of film professors or even my own family, however here they're considered high art!
And this perfectly sums up my point about Clueless and Legally Blonde, critical opinion is less of an influence, and your social circle/taste/environment determines it more.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 10th May 2016, 12:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Avengers (1998) - Universally loathed, hell it doesn't even show on Google when you type in The Avengers. The stars lack of chemistry is almost embarrassing.

Showgirls (1995) - Gratuitous nudity, terrible simulated sex, star Kyle MacLachlan hates it. I have a box set complete with shot glasses, playing cards and er' nipple pasties.

Sucker Punch (2011) - Everyone on the forum hates it so it must be a guilty pleasure. I love it.

Blonde and Blonder (2007) - Top acting talent in Denise Richards and Pamela Anderson probably just being themselves.

Along Came Polly (2004) Every blokes guilty pleasure list should include at least one film by Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller. This one features the two of them together.

Two Moon Junction (1988) - Definitely a guilty pleasure from my teens. See also
Full Body Massage (1995) - Where Mimi Rogers has her breasts rubbed for 90 minutes.

The Bitch (1979) - Joan Collins on overdrive. Tacky and terrible.

Chocolat (2000) - Temptation and chocolate with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp. Actually a fine film but definitely not Cult Labs material. The book's a great read too.

The Happy Hooker Goes to Hollywood (1980) - Martine Beswick plays madame Xaviera Hollander in this allegedly true life memoir. Sleazy and camp at the same time. Have you ever seen Adam West simulate a blow job?

Like this? Share it using the links below!