LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2016, 04:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, i really liked that too. Made no 24 / 25 for me.
I haven't seen it in years as I watched it for review and there was an arrangement with the distribution company in which the review disc had to be returned to them. As I haven't bought it, I haven't seen it since.
Old 16th November 2016, 04:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Ha'ha, fair enough. As a thriller i found it enjoyable but as i said it should have had a different name as it really wasn't the Peckinpah film.

I noticed you featured Prom Night as one of your worst. There were a lot that came out around that time that were PG13 watered down remake shite but one if i recall was okay, it's just i can't remember which one it was now. Sorority Row perhaps? I still own it so there's a chance that was the one.
Sorority row was ok. Prom night was very dull. I had a similar problem with nightmare on elm street that was also visually bland.
Old 16th November 2016, 04:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I had a similar problem with nightmare on elm street that was also visually bland.
It seems that is a recurring issue with movies from the Platinum Dunes production company, with executives seemingly preferring overly muted pallets and 'subtle as a brick' storytelling for their rebooted franchises.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th November 2016, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

In no particular order:

A Bigger Splash – a remake of the 1969 French/Italian film La Piscene, which is also extremely good, with this benefiting from equally good performances by the four main cast members
The Man Who Knew Too Much – Hitchcock remakes himself, with the 1955 version benefiting from better casting and higher production values than the 1934 thriller enjoyed
Invasion of the Body Snatchers – the 1954 film is better, but this is more memorable. I hope that makes sense.
12 Monkeys Рremake of La Jet̩e, both wonderful films but, for my money, Terry Gilliam's version is better
Assault on Precinct 13 – John Carpenter's loose remake of Rio Bravo with an equally, though very different, claustrophobic setting
The Fly – a loose remake of the 1958 film of the same name only with much more realistic and heartbreaking results
True Lies – a remake of/heavily inspired by the French comedy La Totale! It is one of the universe is ongoing mystery is why this hasn't had a proper, uncut, bells and whistles, Blu-ray release yet
Insomnia – Chris Nolan announces himself with an audacious and tense thriller, with Robin Williams cast against type, and a brilliant remake of the 1997 film of the same name
Scarface – although I think the 1932 version is the best with this title, there is something about the bloated excess of Brian De Palma's notion which says a lot about the 1980s
Little Shop of Horrors – the Roger Corman film is cheap and cheerful, but this musical vision, particularly with the dark ending, is so much fun.

Nearly making the top 10:
Freaky Friday – a wonderful remake of the 1978 comedy, with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan arguably providing a better mother to-daughter dynamic them Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster
Yojimbo – Akira Kurosawa was influenced by the brilliant French noir The Glass Key, and adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's novel of the same name, but also lifting significant parts from a different Hammett book, Red Harvest, but I don't know whether it was intentionally a remake or whether 'any similarities are coincidental'
The Thing*
Dredd*

*People say these are remakes – I say they are adaptations of the source material which is different to the previous version. I prefer both of these adaptations.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quality post, Nos.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quality post, Nos.
Thanks. Like I said, it is a tougher topic than it first appears.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks. Like I said, it is a tougher topic than it first appears.
Freaky Friday. I've never seen that. It sounds promising given that it almost made your top 10.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Freaky Friday. I've never seen that. It sounds promising given that it almost made your top 10.
Which one haven't you seen? Either, or both?

keirarts likes this.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Which one haven't you seen? Either, or both?
Neither. The Lohan version sounds very good actually.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Neither. The Lohan version sounds very good actually.
I have enjoyed both versions of Freaky Friday, and would happily watch them again. The more recent version is slightly better for having a bigger budget and possibly bigger stars, even though Jodie Foster was a big-name actress for having been in Taxi Driver and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore at that time, with probably only Bugsy Malone (1976) as Foster's only 'family friendly' movie with a lead role. There is a possibility that the 1977 film has not dated as well as the one from this century so, if I was only going to rent one of them (or pick it up as a 'blind buy), I'd go with the more recent version of the story.

Like this? Share it using the links below!