All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2018, 08:17 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It is probably no stretch to say some films improve with repeated viewings, others are just as enjoyable on the 20th viewing as the first time you saw them.

Other movies, whether because of the impact of a mysterious killer on dramatic tension, an ending which makes you question everything you've just seen and heard, or gripping action sequences which diminish in intensity over time, are never quite as good as when you saw them for the first time.

Suppose there was a way of going back in time or, as in The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, erasing your entire knowledge of some films from your brain so you could see them completely fresh for the first time, what would those films be?

FILMS YOU WISH YOU COULD SEE FOR THE FIRST TIME… AGAIN

Old 7th August 2018, 08:31 AM
Cult Addict

The Usual Suspects
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Naked Lunch
Suspiria
The Room
Samurai Cop
Fight Club
2001 A Space Odyssey
Hardboiled
Gremlins

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 7th August 2018, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

There may be some who may like to do another list. So, in light of the recent announcement of his retirement from acting, it seems opportune to take some time to look at Robert Redford's career in film, both in front of and behind the camera. So, if you want, you don't need to limit yourself to one aspect of his creative output and have a look at a career spanning six decades.

ROBERT REDFORD FILMS

keirarts likes this.
Old 7th August 2018, 10:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Top Seven Robert Redford Films

Jeremiah Johnson (1972)*
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
The Last Castle (2001)
Spy Game (2001)
All is Lost (2013)
The Great Gatsby (1974)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

The top two, Jeremiah Johnson and A Bridge Too Far are outstanding films.

I've seen more than just seven. However i've only seen Indecent Proposal the one time at the cinema and didn't even recall him being in The Winter Soldier and thought Sneakers was boring.
Old 7th August 2018, 01:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Have you seen Ordinary People or Quiz Show? They are probably the best films he directed, with the former landing him the Best Director Oscar over Martin Scorsese for Raging Bull.

I consider the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby (in which he plays Jay Gatsby) to be the best adaptation of the great novel. Lions for Lambs is a film that should have been much better, especially with the cast (Redford, Meryl Streep, and Tom Cruse).
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th August 2018, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen Ordinary People or Quiz Show? They are probably the best films he directed, with the former landing him the Best Director Oscar over Martin Scorsese for Raging Bull.

I consider the 1974 version of The Great Gatsby (in which he plays Jay Gatsby) to be the best adaptation of the great novel. Lions for Lambs is a film that should have been much better, especially with the cast (Redford, Meryl Streep, and Tom Cruse).
Not seen the first two you mention. I didn't really fancy Quiz Show when it first came out.

I watched the Redford version of The Great Gatsby for the first time just last week, then watched the Di Caprio version for a second time the day after. I actually prefer the newer one as i felt it explained things a little better during the opening hour. It made it clearer Gatsby was working for the mob and that's where he gained his wealth.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th August 2018, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Films I wish I could see again ....

Bloodsucking Freaks
The Old Dark House
Martyrs
Braindead
Fish Story
Lorna ... The Exorcist
Happiness
The Boxer's Omen
Oldboy
Dead Mans Shoes
The Black Gestapo
Death Line
Island Of Death
Blazing Saddles
M

I will stop at 15 .

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th August 2018, 05:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not seen the first two you mention. I didn't really fancy Quiz Show when it first came out.

I watched the Redford version of The Great Gatsby for the first time just last week, then watched the Di Caprio version for a second time the day after. I actually prefer the newer one as i felt it explained things a little better during the opening hour. It made it clearer Gatsby was working for the mob and that's where he gained his wealth.
I only saw Quiz Show on video, later DVD (like Dead Presidents it really needs an upgrade), rather than at the cinema but was really impressed by the story and acting. It's been a while since I saw it though.

I have the Baz Luhrmann version of The Great Gatsby on my watchlist as it's been years since I saw it, I was really impressed by what he did with the story, but preferred the Jack Clayton film adaptation. I'm not sure if that will change when I watch the Luhrmann film for the second time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th August 2018, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

FILMS YOU WISH YOU COULD SEE FOR THE FIRST TIME… AGAIN

Explorers 1985
Peter No Tail 1981
REC 2007
Salem's Lot 1979
Saw 2004
Scarface 1983
Superman 1978
The Godfather 1972
The Shining 1980
Troll 1986

Like this? Share it using the links below!