68 Kill
The Evil Dead
Metropolitan
North By Northwest
The Beyond
Carrie
Animal House
The Laurel & Hardy Murder Case
Do you like Carrie so much that you had to include it on both lists?

I'm not sure about the revenge in Dr. Strangelove, North by Northwest or Animal House because of whether it's the principal motivation for the main characters.

Dr. Strangelove is not really revenge, more an insane general wanting to stop the Soviets stopping putting fluoride in the American water system and protect Americans' "precious bodily fluids"!

Not sure what you had in mind for North by Northwest, but my thoughts of the plot are Roger Thornhill trying to work out what happened to him when he was mistaken for George Kaplan, and the identity of that mysterious person.

With Animal House I suppose you do have Dean Wormer's one-man mission to destroy Delta House and the revenge against Neidermeyer because of the pass he plays. That said, Revenge of the Nerds would fit the category better!
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th July 2018, 01:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default revenge

Friday The 13th.(1980)
Taxi Driver. (1976)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
Unforgiven (1992)
Fair Game (1986)
Navajo Joe (1966)
Get Carter (1971)
The Horseman (2008)
Hit Man (1972)
Point Blank (1967 )

late entries-

Shogun Assassin (1980)
Vigilante (1982)
White Line Fever (1975)
Rolling Thunder (1977)
Death Wish 3 (1985)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 349px-Rollthunder2post.jpg (73.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Shogassassinpost.jpg (90.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Vigilante.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Whitelinefeverpost.jpg (93.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UkPEUjn.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 29th July 2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 28th July 2018, 05:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Revenge
then
Fish Out Of Water

I could have just put a load of violent tosh for Revenge you know . Ok ... if Strangelove doesn't fit the criteria .... Twilight's Last Gleaming then
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th July 2018, 06:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Revenge
then
Fish Out Of Water

I could have just put a load of violent tosh for Revenge you know . Ok ... if Strangelove doesn't fit the criteria .... Twilight's Last Gleaming then
Oh, the second list was your Fish Out Of Water films – it makes much more sense now!

I suppose the Lionel Mandrake character tenuously fits the description because of his nationality and very matter of fact approach to life.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th July 2018, 09:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

REVENGE FILMS

My top 10 with a few words of lessons from the film:
  1. Kind Hearts and Coronets – when conducting homicidal revenge against the family that wronged you, it's best not to write it down!
  2. Leon – great advice for hitmen and corrupt government agents: "no women, no kids".
  3. Once Upon A Time In The West – sadistic murder has consequences, sometimes many years after the initial act.
  4. The Princess Bride – killing someone's father could result in their son tracking you down to return the favour, and doing it with style!
  5. Gladiator – unsuccessful revenge on Rome's best general leads to successful revenge on Rome's sadistic Emperor.
  6. Kill Bill – when taking revenge on one of the deadliest women on earth, even a gun shot to the head isn't enough to prevent a rampage of bloody revenge. (This is both parts, though the first is more fun.)
  7. Oldboy – be very careful what rumours you spread around school, no matter how true they may be.
  8. John Wick – don't kill the world's most dangerous man's dog. (This applies to the sequel, which is just as good.)
  9. Unforgiven – if a prostitute laughs at your genitalia, don't horrendously mutilate her.
  10. Memento – sometimes even an innocent person can be the victim of a vengeance mission.

Just missing out:
  • Get Carter – it's not possible to get revenge on someone with astonishing foresight.
  • Lady Vengeance – don't be complicit in the torture and murder of multiple children.
  • I Saw the Devil – it's occasionally necessary for the good guy to become the bad guy to get the worst guy.
  • Dead Man's Shoes – don't bully people. It's not big, it's not clever, and their older brother might track you down and kill you.
  • For A Few Dollars More – never forget about the family members of those you hurt.
  • Sympathy for Mr Vengeance – all actions, even those by omission, have consequences.
  • Gangs of New York – if you like gangland slaughter, don't forget about the relatives of those you butcher.
  • The Revenant – if someone is tough enough to survive a Grizzly bear attack, don't kill his son in front of him, then leave him for dead.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:23 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks to everyone who contributed a list of their favourite revenge films. It really shows the range and breadth of films with a revenge narrative, where the central characters are driven by revenge more than anything else.

Just because I really enjoyed watching Mark Kermode analysing the genre last week, I thought it be good to revisit a topic we did a couple of years ago, but focusing entirely on heist movies rather than crime or cops and robbers in general. As a guide, please use this description from Rotten Tomatoes:

Quote:
"Crooks. Thieves. Liars. And these are the ones we’re rooting for. In the heist and caper films, we see the hero hatching a plan, putting together a crew, and then pulling off the job, usually in order to turn the screws against an institution or person that’s wronged them — or maybe just for the thrill of sticking up banks."
HEIST FILMS

Old 31st July 2018, 10:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Top 10 Heist Films

Reservoir Dogs (1992)
The League of Gentlemen (1960)
Kelly's Heroes (1970)
The Italian Job (1969)
The Usual Suspects (1995)
How to Steal a Million (1966)
Rififi (1955)
Robbery (1967)
The First Great Train Robbery (1978)
Payroll (1961)*

Old 31st July 2018, 10:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I would have gone for Heat and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three but neither are heist films in the sense of the definition in this weeks title post.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I haven't seen Robbery, How to Steal a Million, The First Great Train Robbery or Payroll, so may have to do so this week. Since we last did a topic like this, I've seen The League of Gentlemen (a great heist movie) for the first time and Baby Driver was released.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st July 2018, 10:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I would have gone for Heat and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three but neither are heist films in the sense of the definition in this weeks title post.
Heat was included in Mark Kermode's program, but it doesn't have the typical 'ingredients' of the gang coming together, sitting around and having the robbery explained to them, and is more focused on the rivalry between the main crook and his police counterpart than anything else.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!