Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2021, 05:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York.

Another McCallister holiday planned and again it goes wrong, leaving Kevin alone in the big apple, this time his battle ground is his Uncle's house. Marv and harry who escaped prison have a plan to get money and all goes wrong, armed with a assortment of different arsenal Kevin sets up the traps, and gets help from a homeless Bird lady. Even in the park it seems to be a homage to Hitchcocks The Birds, we know something is going to happen and at the same time it's going to be comical. The original cast of the family turn up and have a laugh and Tim Curry plays the hotel concierge and forced to go on his knees and proclaim his love to the t.v.

MV5BMjA2NDA0MTA4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODE2MzE5._V1_.jpg
Old 15th December 2021, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Carol 1999.

Patrick Stewart plays the old miser in this with Richard E. Grant as his 15 shillings a week clerk, while Joel grey plays the ghost of Christmas Past. Even though this was a made for t.v. version it still quite touching with silent night being sung by Tiny Tim which seems to follow everyone singing it to Two lighthouse keepers, sailors on a boat in a storm, and coal miners. This isn't as dark as the other films have been. It is well acted from the start right up to the end.

718eVuATFtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 15th December 2021, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gremlins. 1984.

No matter how many times I have seen this, it still makes me laugh, were else would you see a little bunch of monsters going carolling or going to the cinema and sing to Snow White. Joe Dante gave us a real good early 80s festive film with writer Chris Columbus who would direct his own holiday film 6 years later with Home Alone. Chris Walas who designed the Gremlins gave something new to be scared of and great background score by Jerry Goldsmith.

39750_aa.jpg
Old 15th December 2021, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Don't Open Till Christmas (1984)

Don't Open Till Christmas is sleazy and nasty and British exploitation of the highest order with blue movie actress Pat Astley featuring in a fairly dodgy razor attack that possibly wouldn't escape the BBFC even now.

In a way this is the British answer to Silent Night Deadly Night from the same year, except i think this is better. For a start there is a kill every few minutes, 14 in all i think so the pace has no time to drop or the viewer become jaded before the next bit of hack n' slash spits blood across the screen. The murders are graphic - a spear through the mouth, a cleaver across the face, disembowelment, castrations - that sort of thing, or If it's not a murder then it's a pretty young woman chained up in a basement, (Watching last night really made me think that Fiona Horsey's Penetration Angst (2003) took some inspiration from this.) as the film with it's simple plot of a psycho randomly killing any one dressed as Santa in the run up to Christmas.

The suspense is well handled by director Edmund Purdom, who also plays a police inspector in the film, especially a stalking sequence in the London Dungeon tourist attraction and the afore mentioned attack on Astley. In fact the whole thing has a delightfully grubby atmosphere and it doesn't help that sleazy Alan Lake stars as a reporter who may be more than he seems, and adds a lot of unease to proceedings. Oddly Caroline Munro pops up as herself, performs a song in a skin tight red dress then is never seen again. It's random nonsense like this that makes the film memorable in a quirky British sense.

A Christmas classic round these parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Don't_Open_Till_Christmas_FilmPoster.jpeg.jpeg (20.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 16th December 2021, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scrooged. 1988.

Richard Donner's take on the Charles Dickens tale this time Bill Murray as Frank Cross a greedy television executive who is visited by three ghosts in order to change his ways. This still brings the laughs. Carol Kane play the ghost of Christmas present who seems to enjoy bringing pain to Cross. John Houseman plays the narrator in the broadcast of the show and Robert Mitchum kicking a cat after being called a Butthead by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Scrooged-1988-poster.jpg
Old 17th December 2021, 12:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Krampus. 2015.

Out of all the Krampus movies that have come out over the last few years, this one is the better one, you got Adam Scott and Toni Collette trying to enjoy the festive season with family and it goes pear shaped, with the evil side of Kris Kringle showing up. There is some decent effects in this and how toys can turn and look evil even with some CGI Gingerbread men. The acting is decent even David Koechner turns up making himself look like a prick and soon warm upto him.

Krampus.jpg
Old 17th December 2021, 07:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't Open Till Christmas (1984)

Don't Open Till Christmas is sleazy and nasty and British exploitation of the highest order with blue movie actress Pat Astley featuring in a fairly dodgy razor attack that possibly wouldn't escape the BBFC even now.

In a way this is the British answer to Silent Night Deadly Night from the same year, except i think this is better. For a start there is a kill every few minutes, 14 in all i think so the pace has no time to drop or the viewer become jaded before the next bit of hack n' slash spits blood across the screen. The murders are graphic - a spear through the mouth, a cleaver across the face, disembowelment, castrations - that sort of thing, or If it's not a murder then it's a pretty young woman chained up in a basement, (Watching last night really made me think that Fiona Horsey's Penetration Angst (2003) took some inspiration from this.) as the film with it's simple plot of a psycho randomly killing any one dressed as Santa in the run up to Christmas.

The suspense is well handled by director Edmund Purdom, who also plays a police inspector in the film, especially a stalking sequence in the London Dungeon tourist attraction and the afore mentioned attack on Astley. In fact the whole thing has a delightfully grubby atmosphere and it doesn't help that sleazy Alan Lake stars as a reporter who may be more than he seems, and adds a lot of unease to proceedings. Oddly Caroline Munro pops up as herself, performs a song in a skin tight red dress then is never seen again. It's random nonsense like this that makes the film memorable in a quirky British sense.

A Christmas classic round these parts.
Spot on.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th December 2021, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A enjoyable and silly Christmas themed horror which wrestler Bill Goldberg plays Santa who is actually the son of the devil who was cursed by a angel too do good deeds for a 1000 years but those 1000 years are up!

The story of a young boy whom doesn't believe in Santa anymore and one Christmas eve he boards the polar express which is on its way too the North pole, will this journey change his mind.

Even though it's set a Christmas and has Santa it didn't feel very festive too me, that might be down too the creepy dead eyed animation of the characters and the creepy adults on the train whom I wouldn't let near any child and let's not forget the elves that look like evil Ferengi!

Now watching , which will be first viewing of this movie.

Old 17th December 2021, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Die Hard (1988)

"We're Gonna Need Some More FBI Guys, I Guess."
Old 18th December 2021, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cold Prey. 2006. (Fritt vilt)

5 people take a trip for skiing and snowboarding, when one of their group is injured they take shelter in a abandoned hotel, only to find out they are not alone.

The premise of the film is something we have seen all before but the Norwegians, kick it up a bit, we all know running in the snow is not easy, a hotel that the killer knows too well unlike his victims, isolation and atmospheric work together, along with nice gore kills. The acting isn't too bad we actually feel this is a great cat and mouse game and how to try outsmart a killer with a nice ending.

images (1).jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!